The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks Getting Calls on Luke Schenn

Warhippy

8 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Sad, that the thought of moving a decent 5/6 D man is so scary to the team.

He is just not that good, but shines on our Defence. Means the Canucks are weak on the D, not that Schenn is "all that".

If they can get a second rounder for him, they should.

1 minute ago, Shayster007 said:

If you get a 2nd rounder you click your heels and and give him a call in the summer.

Yup. If he's traded and wants to come back for 2-3 years at reasonable money and get a NTC as part of his deal that'd be fine. Usually I'd be averse to a NTC for a bottom pairing guy but he's been a good soldier. 

If he we trade him and he moves on, well, he was still a good soldier. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

“There’s always lots of noise outside,” Schenn told The Athletic. “At the end of the day, what I’ve kinda said all along is that I didn’t sign in Vancouver two years ago to get out of Vancouver, it was to try and stay long-term. My goal eventually is to be part of a winning team here. That’s my No.1 priority, to be here, to be part of the process and solution.”

“I got some roots down here with family … it sounds a little crazy given everyone sees me as a veteran, older guy but to be here long-term is my goal.”

How schenn views himself:

black and white fashion GIF

how others view Luke Schenn:

star wars GIF

• Haha 1
  • There it is 1

3 hours ago, cuporbust said:

Lol. No offense to Luke , but the fact he's one of the most sought after assets they have should be100% depressing to any Canucks fan. 

Much to do about affordability. Schenn fits under the CAP for a lot of teams. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Much to do about affordability. Schenn fits under the CAP for a lot of teams. 

This. He's worth a second easy. Maybe even a late first. If I'm a playoff team, man, what an add. Love Schenn, but if he returns a first, or high second, i think you gotta do it. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, rekker said:

This. He's worth a second easy. Maybe even a late first. If I'm a playoff team, man, what an add. Love Schenn, but if he returns a first, or high second, i think you gotta do it. 

Schenn would be worth a 3rd... by the time this team is anywhere close to being a perennial playoff team, let alone a cup contender, Schenner will be hanging them up.

Anything is better than losing him for nothing.

I like Schenn but this new management needs to show that they are better at asset management than the previous regime. The Miller signing isn't looking good but other then that, almost everyone they have brought in fits in well. Without Mikheyev, Kuzmenko and Bear we are probably last in the league. Stillman hasn't worked out but he's a 7th or 8th dman really so it's kind of a moot point.

Hopefully they are able to shed some cap by getting rid of Brock, Myers, Garland etc.

They're stuck with OEL, that contract is un-movable.

If trading Schenn gives you the pick that you need to offload a bad contract (cause we can't afford to give up any more of our own "sweeteners" then I think you pull the trigger in a heartbeat).

3 minutes ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

Schenn would be worth a 3rd... by the time this team is anywhere close to being a perennial playoff team, let alone a cup contender, Schenner will be hanging them up.

Anything is better than losing him for nothing.

I like Schenn but this new management needs to show that they are better at asset management than the previous regime. The Miller signing isn't looking good but other then that, almost everyone they have brought in fits in well. Without Mikheyev, Kuzmenko and Bear we are probably last in the league. Stillman hasn't worked out but he's a 7th or 8th dman really so it's kind of a moot point.

Hopefully they are able to shed some cap by getting rid of Brock, Myers, Garland etc.

They're stuck with OEL, that contract is un-movable.

If trading Schenn gives you the pick that you need to offload a bad contract (cause we can't afford to give up any more of our own "sweeteners" then I think you pull the trigger in a heartbeat).

I think a third as well. But his contact bumps him up to a 2nd imho. Maybe one of the best D bargain contacts in the NHL. 

Edited by rekker

On 12/10/2022 at 8:43 AM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

“There’s always lots of noise outside,” Schenn told The Athletic. “At the end of the day, what I’ve kinda said all along is that I didn’t sign in Vancouver two years ago to get out of Vancouver, it was to try and stay long-term. My goal eventually is to be part of a winning team here. That’s my No.1 priority, to be here, to be part of the process and solution.”

“I got some roots down here with family … it sounds a little crazy given everyone sees me as a veteran, older guy but to be here long-term is my goal.”

Sign him for $1.2 million in the off season after trading him.  Then trade him again 

Then sign him to a 1.25 million 3 years deal and let him retire here at home.

2 years if flipping home for decent returns and then let him assistant captain the team from the blue line until he retires

• Cheers 1

19 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

Schenn to TOR E4 Eklund baby...

Phil Kessel likes Mayo E5

Miss Libby's car is green E4

His E4 and E5 mean he has seen it on other rumour sites... so maybe this one has some legs.

If Schenn is driving the bus on this and wants the best of both worlds having a run at a Cup and maybe coming back here... sure thing, it makes sense.  If he wants to re-sign, we should also do that.  He has earned a longer than 1 year deal at bigger dollars and could probably get $3+ million x 2-3 years on the open market if he didn't care where he played.

If the trade price is as rumoured (1st round pick or a 2nd round pick plus a good prospect)... then it is hard to say no.  For a 3rd round pick I probably tell a team to go pound sand and wait until the deadline when more teams are in an arms race for improvement.

Their 1st rounder or Fraser Minten and a 2nd would be a pretty amazing return, even with the loss of Schenn (who I would want to re-sign as the veteran captain on a rebuilding team if we blew it up).

Edited by Provost
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Provost said:

His E4 and E5 mean he has seen it on other rumour sites... so maybe this one has some legs.

If Schenn is driving the bus on this and wants the best of both worlds having a run at a Cup and maybe coming back here... sure thing, it makes sense.  If he wants to re-sign, we should also do that.

If the price is as rumoured (1st round pick or a 2nd round pick plus a good prospect)... then it is hard to say no.

Their 1st rounder or Fraser Minten and a 2nd would be a pretty amazing return, even with the loss of Schenn (who I would want to re-sign as the veteran captain on a rebuilding team if we blew it up).

I would love futures, but I think we will go for guys more along in their development because that fits the owner’s direction.  So I can see a guy like Liljegren coming back.  If we do get futures those will be moved for a guy more along in his development.  Much like we did with the return we got for Hamonic.  That got turned into Dermott.  

Just now, Alflives said:

I would love futures, but I think we will go for guys more along in their development because that fits the owner’s direction.  So I can see a guy like Liljegren coming back.  If we do get futures those will be moved for a guy more along in his development.  Much like we did with the return we got for Hamonic.  That got turned into Dermott.  

That would be terrible.

The Hamonic deal was amazing.

Turning around and trading away an asset for Dermott was dumb.  There were legit good, top half of the lineup players traded for that value in the offseason just for cap space.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Provost said:

That would be terrible.

Turning around and trading away an asset for Dermott was dumb.  There were legit good, top half of the lineup players traded for that value in the offseason just for cap space.

You’re preaching to the choir.  But management is governed by the owner’s direction.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Provost said:

That would be terrible.

Yip. And nothing against Dermott. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Provost said:

If Schenn is driving the bus on this and wants the best of both worlds having a run at a Cup and maybe coming back here... sure thing, it makes sense.  If he wants to re-sign, we should also do that.  He has earned a longer than 1 year deal at bigger dollars and could probably get $3+ million x 2-3 years on the open market if he didn't care where he played.

If the trade price is as rumoured (1st round pick or a 2nd round pick plus a good prospect)... then it is hard to say no.  For a 3rd round pick I probably tell a team to go pound sand and wait until the deadline when more teams are in an arms race for improvement.

Leafs don’t have a 2nd round pick in ‘23 (sent to Kraken in the Gio trade) so nothing less than a first for me from them. Their 1st would be like an early 2nd anyway and even at that I would make sure Luke knew exactly how badly we want him back next year.

3 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Leafs don’t have a 2nd round pick in ‘23 (sent to Kraken in the Gio trade) so nothing less than a first for me from them. Their 1st would be like an early 2nd anyway and even at that I would make sure Luke knew exactly how badly we want him back next year.

It doesn't have to be a pick this year.