The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks Getting Calls on Luke Schenn

Warhippy

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Wasn't the 21-23-year-old originally a draft pick?  Or did they arrive from some other place other than the draft?  

You are basically saying to trade draft picks for guys who have already been drafted and are now 21-23 years old.  Those 21–23-year-old guys that are available are normally guys that haven't panned out on another team, so they are now available for trade.  You know, the guys you say that will be mostly flops after the 1st round.  This is the strategy that Jim Benning followed that went horribly wrong.  The worst one being the trading of a 2nd round pick for Sven Baertschi.  That 2nd round pick turned out to be Rasmus Andersson, who is a top 2 RHD and would be a perfect partner for Hughes now.

Other notable players from Benning's strategic fail plan of trading picks for ready-made NHL'ers are Linden Vey (2nd round pick), Derek Pouliot (4th round pick), Erik Gudbranson (Jared Mccann, a 2nd round pick and a 4th round pick), Philip Larsen (5th round pick), Madison Bowey (4th and a 5th round pick), Jason Dickinson (3rd round pick), Nate Schmidt (3rd round pick), Tyler Toffoli (2nd round pick).  The Toffoli trade would have been fine, except for the fact that Benning used Toffoli only as a rental for 3 months and then let him walk.

But the absolute worst trade of them all, the horror of all horrors, was OEL and Garland for a 1st round pick (top 10 pick in a draft) and a 2nd round pick.

Add it all up and Benning traded one 1st round pick, four 2nd round picks, two 3rd round picks, three 4th round picks, two 5th round picks, PLUS Jared McCann and all we have to show for it are OEL, Garland, Tanner Pearson, Riley Stillman and Elias Pettersson (no not me, the other guy).  That's how you completely ruin the prospect pool of a franchise and why our cupboards are bare of talent...

I'm not talking about Benning.

43 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Didn't some reporter say that he was absolutely getting traded yesterday? Tired of these knee jerk posts that get us all excited.

I never heard anyone say that, do you have some quote referencing it?

Edited by Provost

9 minutes ago, Provost said:

I never heard anyone say that.

I did, can't remember who it was but on Tuesday I one commentator said there would be a trade in a "day or two". 

Unlikely that that was insider news though, most Vancouver sports reporters just parrot one another and try to spice up the same news that they all have access to.

14 minutes ago, Provost said:

I never heard anyone say that, do you have some quote referencing it?

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/luke-schenn-trade-deadline

Posted by VC on tuesday (page 71 of this thread)

Edited by HorvatToBaertschi
  • Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

So, when is this trade happening? The Twits (those who use Twitter) making it sound like it's practically done. Imagining Boston and Toronto fighting it out to get Schenn on their team. Meanwhile, Luke is having a nice little vacay with the fam. Probably won't even be traded :lol: 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

So, when is this trade happening? The Twits (those who use Twitter) making it sound like it's practically done. Imagining Boston and Toronto fighting it out to get Schenn on their team. Meanwhile, Luke is having a nice little vacay with the fam. Probably won't even be traded :lol: 

This is what I was complaining about. Media doesn't care about good reporting, they just care about being first. That's why when Schenn WILL get traded, we won't hear a return for around an hour. Just like how my last post had PJ say that Schenn will get traded yesterday. They will do absolutely anything for clicks. 

Meanwhile, you have an entire fanbase that's chomping at the bits to know which direction this mediocre franchise is headed in, and I think we are all nervous/excited about what this 18 man/woman management team will accomplish over the next week. 

Edited by HorvatToBaertschi
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

I'm not a fan of trading Schenn, but hopefully (if we do move him) our owner steps up and helps the family with the whatever is needed to support the mom and kids, while Luke is away.

Much rather we kept him and signed him to an extension. 

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I'm not a fan of trading Schenn, but hopefully (if we do move him) our owner steps up and helps the family with the whatever is needed to support the mom and kids, while Luke is away.

Much rather we kept him and signed him to an extension. 

Quite the utopia you are hoping for. I think before an individual who has made millions of dollars playing hockey has his wife taken care of by the company he works for. Maybe we should look at taking care of those that really need it first. Those individuals have kids as well.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, greenbean30 said:

Lol, this is such terrible reporting. "Yeah, this trade may or may not be done, but I can't confirm" Why even report that?

Covers all the bases. If a trade happens, he can claim he knew about it and reported it early. If no trade happens, he can say it’s because the other move didn’t get done. Insider 101. Creates the illusion of having sources and being plugged in. ;) 

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

That doesn’t say anything like you said it did.

“Wouldn’t be surprised if it happened as soon as Wednesday”

Is not the same as “I guarantee that he will absolutely be traded by Wednesday”

Don’t make shit up to create faux outrage, it is dumb.  Going on tirades about media reporting based off things you invented is pretty ironic.

Edited by Provost
  • Thanks 1