The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] All Canucks FOR SALE except EP40 who is "Untouchable".

RU SERIOUS

59 minutes ago, Alflives said:

True.  Any deal would be a big one with several players moving to balance cap.  And since our owner refuses to allow futures as the key parts to any return, we are kind of stuck with simply rearranging rather than actually building.  

Re-arranging seems like the right description.  Rather than everyone for sale it's more everyone (save Pettersson) available in a hockey trade. Friedman on his podcast doesn't mention ownership but does say that management isn't looking to tear things down or to rebuild.  They are aggressively looking to make hockey trades to try and change the mix of the team.  They might take picks/prospects in a trade if it allows them to make another move.  Probably something in the vein of the Hamonic/Dermott domino trade.

Edited by mll

21 minutes ago, mll said:

Re-arranging seems like the right description.  Friedman on his podcast doesn't mention ownership but does say that management isn't looking to tear things down or to rebuild.  They are aggressively looking to make hockey trades to try and change the mix of the team.  They might take picks/prospects in a trade if it allows them to make another move.  Probably something in the vein of the Hamonic/Dermott domino trade.

Just desperately trying to catch lightning in a bottle.

Would they be allowed to say instead of signing a player buy $3 mil worth of 649 and lotto max tickets, and then if they win apply the winnings as extra cap space? 

Not sure if legal but could give us a big advantage. :ph34r:

Edited by Gawdzukes

18 minutes ago, mll said:

Re-arranging seems like the right description.  Rather than everyone for sale it's more everyone (save Pettersson) available in a hockey trade. Friedman on his podcast doesn't mention ownership but does say that management isn't looking to tear things down or to rebuild.  They are aggressively looking to make hockey trades to try and change the mix of the team.  They might take picks/prospects in a trade if it allows them to make another move.  Probably something in the vein of the Hamonic/Dermott domino trade.

Even if that magically worked out, The pipeline is as bare as it could possibly be. There is no sustainable success without a good pool. We are swinging for playoffs more than teams who are actually in it yearly lol

• There it is 1

13 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Yeah i recall more people being vocally opposed. The poll may have been 50% but honest to me it felt like it was 80-85% against lol.

The pro miller peeps were pretty quiet from my recollection. 

Well anytime I was discussing it there were very few people that backed me and a ton that thought I was crazy for wanting to move him. Maybe I was in a poopy thread haha 

It is a bad sign when a couple months after you give Miller and Brock contracts they are no longer valuable trade assets. Management needs to get it together, contracts have been terrible for the last 3 years: 

Bad Contracts signed

Pearson

Boeser 

Petey

Miller

Poolman

OK contracts

Garland

Mikheyev 

Good Contracts

Schenn

Hughes

Lazar

Kuzmenko

Demko

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, mll said:

They are aggressively looking to make hockey trades to try and change the mix of the team.  They might take picks/prospects in a trade if it allows them to make another move.  Probably something in the vein of the Hamonic/Dermott domino trade.

If management believes the 'mix' if the team is the root issue then they must see something nobody else does (including fans, media, ex-players) or they're wildly out of touch with their own team.  This or perhaps they understand the issues but realize they're helpless to do anything meaningful about them and can't/won't admit it, which would be quite unfortunate. 

How about we recognize these issues in addition to the 'mix':

1.The ownership has insisted on a path of organizational development that is unsustainable. 

2.Despite being a swell guy with a good previous record, we likely have a coach that current management doesn't see as a good fit but can't do anything about it because ownership doesn't want to pay multiple guys and look like a micky-mouse organization. 

3.This club has no identity other than being wildly inconsistent. 

4.There's currently no blue-chip prospects in the system to bolster the lineup and fill holes at despately needed key positions. 

5.The only way out of our current cap woes seems to be to simply wait them out which doesn't go well with #1 or #3.  

7 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

It is a bad sign when a couple months after you give Miller and Brock contracts they are no longer valuable trade assets. Management needs to get it together, contracts have been terrible for the last 3 years: 

Bad Contracts signed

Pearson

Boeser 

Petey

Miller

Poolman

OK contracts

Garland

Mikheyev 

Good Contracts

Schenn

Hughes

Lazar

Kuzmenko

Demko

There were a handful of us who saw that signing these guys was clearly a bad move. A bunch of rose-coloreds were pretty vocal about how he was going to get even more points this year and blah blah blah. Horrible signings.

• Cheers 1

Frankly, I think it's reasonable that a GM of any lackluster team would say that nobody is untouchable. I mean, even Petey is "touchable" for the right return. You think management would say no if we were offered 10 1st round picks? Everyone has their price.

So the statement really doesn't mean much, except that they've stated publicly that Petey won't be moved so they kinda have to be held to that.

I think from a message-to-the-team perspective, it's wise to state that nobody is untouchable. That makes all the players accountable and hopefully brings out the best. Should management make a move because someone didn't pick it up, they have likely become the victim of making too much money, or their own inability to perform.

I maintain we have enough strong players on this team that it doesn't really need an overhaul as most seem to want. We just need to take care of the deficiencies:
1) Given our crappy penalty kill, we take too many penalties.
2) Whether it be the defensemen themselves or the team as a whole, we need to figure out a way to defend better. Our team leads the league in high-danger shots. 

3) We need Demko to return to form. Our goaltending has been... meh.
4) Our faceoffs kinda suck. If it wasn't for Bo, we'd be at the bottom of the league. If he gets moved, this will become a major issue.

5) We don't block enough shots.

6) The team is fragile. The last 2-3 years have seen an undue amount of challenges and I think the team in general gets easily frustrated and demotivated.

1, 2, and 5 go hand-in-hand. We need either the team structure to change, or some players to change, but either way, we make games too easy for our competition.

3 can only happen within Demko. I feel SM has done a decent job as backup, but we need our #1 to be a #1. He has let in 1 full goal above expected, and if he mimicked his performances of the past, we would have won anywhere from 6-8 more games so far this season.

4 is acceptable right now, but again, only because of Bo. We need at least 1 more guy who is great at faceoffs, as it just isn't realistic to get him out there to take the faceoff then go to the bench. Yet, sometimes that's what this team does.

6) I think will resolve itself once we get everything in place. Unfortunately, Bruce and management were SUPPOSED to be those people. If management wants a different coach than Bruce, fine, but they better pick the right one so the team can stop being in a state of flux. I don't think the team can ever be stable unless those running the team are.

8 hours ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Even if that magically worked out, The pipeline is as bare as it could possibly be. There is no sustainable success without a good pool. We are swinging for playoffs more than teams who are actually in it yearly lol

the pipeline is bare because all their players are in the NHL

19 hours ago, aGENT said:

You're flat wrong. Management needs to put our best players in their best positions to succeed. You don't do that with sub-par or ill fitting partners/line mates (or individual play). This team currently has a tonne of ill-fitting talent on it. Talent isn't the issue. Cohesiveness, and ability to play a coherent team game is.

Nope. Precisely why management needs to find an actual, long term partner for Hughes.

I’m just curious who would be the best possible partner for Hughes, who isn’t another superstar? He has had multiple partners, since the departure of Tanev, that plays a similar style (Myers, Benn, Poolman), but it seem that they haven’t click.

I’ve always said, Hughes is a bit of an enigma in his own end. He roams around too much, and gets caught out of position, forcing the forwards to cover for him. His habits has created too many grade A scoring chance for the other team, over the years. He can’t play in front of the net, because his stature is too small to push guys out of the way. It’s hard to play a cohesive team defensive game, when one of your top defensemen continuously gets caught out of position. 

Edited by shiznak