The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 IIHF World Junior Championship Thread

Rate this topic

TNucks1

I mentioned this in the Germany thread, but Fantilli has been invisible this tournament, ESPECIALLY today's game against Germany. Not sure why people think he's projected to be 3rd overall, or some kind of consolation prize in case they miss out on Bedard.

Dvorsky is pretty darn good though for Slovakia.

So if a player Michigans and the stick hits the goalie in the head.. is that a penalty? A player can easily hit a goalie in the head when they try that play.. doesn’t really matter if it’s below the net or not.. a goalie trying to make a save on a Michigan attempt pretty much have to use their head. Not really safe for the goalie? Can accidentally poke the goalie in the face with the stick thru the mask?

• Vintage 2

On 12/26/2022 at 3:24 PM, TNucks1 said:

@Coconuts they managed to lose his luggage, not sure if its the same company, but pretty sh!tty especially on holidays, you ever get youres back yet?

Mine was Air Canada, and yeah, but it took like four days to show up and that included them having to have it taxi'd to Dawson 

This tournament is really shaping the draft up nicely. Bedard sucked in the first game and then just explodes so no doubt he's going 1OA and now his competition, Fantilli, looks terrible in comparison. There's going to be a big gulf between 1 and 2 and I think Fantilli may drop a fair bit now. Leo Carlsson is quietly scoring 2PPG at the tournie, I think he could jump up at 2nd if he continues. Big, strong Swedish center...

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

This tournament is really shaping the draft up nicely. Bedard sucked in the first game and then just explodes so no doubt he's going 1OA and now his competition, Fantilli, looks terrible in comparison. There's going to be a big gulf between 1 and 2 and I think Fantilli may drop a fair bit now. Leo Carlsson is quietly scoring 2PPG at the tournie, I think he could jump up at 2nd if he continues. Big, strong Swedish center...

What?

He only has 2 assists at this World Juniors and wasn’t really noticeable the last two games.

Anyone who has not watched the doc "Trophy Town, Local Heroes, International Legends" should make the time. Ray Ferraro does some voice over but it is all about the players of the '61 Trail Smoke Eaters world champs. They go back to the '38 World Champ team. Show how Trail influenced many aspects of the game. They spend a lot of time celebrating the fans. 8 players from that championship team  came from Trail! Imagine that. They end the doc with a number of the team sitting in the bar at the old Trail Hotel telling stories. Loved it! 

I was in Trail on a high school curling bonspiel. Our coach got us tickets to a Smokey game against Spokane. Wow! I had no idea what fans were and their no holds barred support. During a stop in play a woman in front of me stands up and wings a broken hockey stick at the ref. Barely misses the guy as he casually side stepped the flying stick. Game resumes, the woman sits down and Trail wins. Wayne Florko played for the Smokies and I met him a couple of years later at Selkirk College. Even in 1970 a lot of good players came thru the old Senior League.  

• Like 1