The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Winnipeg Jets | Jan. 08, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

16 minutes ago, rychicken said:

Do you have a manual or Youtube video available so I can learn how to be a fan?

We should not trade anyone, nor should we change any coaches, or coaching style. We should sing Kumbaya and be happy we are in the bottom third of the league

Finally, you have figured it out. Rejoice in the suctitude and just let it overwhelm you. You are helpless to want more. Aqua is great, Fin is great, The Canuck Family is great, and you are great too.

Kumbaya my lord

Kum 

ba 

ya

• There it is 1

2 hours ago, aqua59 said:

You have no proof of a meddling owner Alf. I read that Smyl stated just today in an interview that ownership hasn't been this "not involved ever".( poor grammar on my part) I believe the man.

Their is no proof but he has been the one constant, from Gillis to Allvin.  From the outside, they all seem to be doing the samething: ever retooling to the middle of the league.  Just my two cents.

7 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Finally, you have figured it out. Rejoice in the suctitude and just let it overwhelm you. You are helpless to want more. Aqua is great, Fin is great, The Canuck Family is great, and you are great too.

Kumbaya my lord

Kum 

ba 

ya

Reminds me of that “Heavens Gate” 

‘organization’.hippies seance GIF

Edited by Barnstorm
  • Haha 1

I would like to seem them beat a team that is actually playing well - hopefully soon.

Looking at who they have beaten this year - most teams were on a slight slump (eg. like Avs Montreal Buffalo Pittsburgh)

Unless a dramatic change, they will probably finish in 21 - 26 range.  Columbus Chicago and Anaheim are really having a tough year

Onto the next game.

40 minutes ago, R3aL said:

He played well

against Colorado he really did. 

not sure why he’s so inconsistent 

Different teams

We've beaten Colorado twice thus far if I'm not mistaken, the first time round they were injured as shit and this past game they were only slightly less injured 

Mac had just gotten back, still not Landeskog who hasn't played all season, no Byram, no Manson, no Nichushkin

It hasn't been an Avs team at full strength at any point this season, but because they won the cup people have hyped our beating an injury depleted version of them 

Winnipeg on the other hand had all hands on deck and is a team that gives us fits at the best of times 

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

I thought OEL was ok today but Myers was not. 

Only qualm with OEL is that he is playing to not get injured. 

He'll never retrieve the puck full speed. He'll slow down and let the forechecker go in first everytime so that he doesn't get hit. 

Im ok that he does this while we tank. 

Once we ship everyone out and he is last man standing on D, I would love it if he started playing with some passion again. 

Guy is still talented but he needs the right incentives to light a fire under his butt. I truly think what'll make him tick is an opportunity to contribute and see that his efforts don't go wasted on a crap team that has far too many blunders. 

OEL is a smart guy. Why risk his body when there's nothing to gain

Maybe OEL can donate his cheques while he plays that way. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

Posters piling on as if they are smart make the CDC a Debbie Downer kind of place.

This is supposed to be for FANS, not whinging turds.

Blow it all up, trade everyone away, bad owner, bad mngt, bad coaching, bad players, it is all just a keyboard ego-trip.

You have ruined a good thing.

Yeah, I hear you. On the bright side, this place is still pretty fun during a win.  I still trust most people on here are actual fans and not trying to be professional podcasters.  Probably the last place for online Canucks fandom that can say that. 

I think most people just kind of see the writing on the wall - change is coming but we’re still far enough out from the deadline that nothing is moving.  That’s making it take way too long for some who have (imo understandably) given up on having all of this group together.

I also think a lot of people are just venting, too.  “Blow it up” would involve moving a few of the pieces that hold value like Horvat, Kuzmenko, Schenn and maybe Petey and/or Hughes if you go salt the earth. 

Most of the guys they want gone make zero sense to sell as they’d take assets to move or buy out - and ironically that’s a terrible idea if you don’t believe in the team. 

Then I’ve noticed some “new” accounts im sure coming in from Twitter or HF but are back now just to gripe/troll in the new climate.  It’s fun to see posters like Alf giving them the gears in his way. 

I think if we sell a bit at the deadline, bring in a new coach, have a decent draft to look forward to and a healthy Demko the team could have positive vibes again as early as next season.  

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Man I just keep thinking like this is supposed to be a time of optimism and hope. New management coming in to right the ship and choose a direction.

I’ve never seen fans turn on management so quickly though. Like they don’t even have a chance. Any move they make is going to be so scrutinized. That’s on ownership for letting things get so toxic, and allowing this team to just drift for so long without direction.

Such a difficult environment to build something good. That’s why New York and Montreal were smart with their fans. They came out and addressed all of them with a clear message and plan, and fans accepted it and were excited about it. Like why does this ownership think fans can’t handle a proper rebuild? Or is their ego so big they can’t admit that their plan isn’t working?

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

25 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

It really should be obvious at this point. Keep Petey and Hughes along with whoever you can't trade (like OEL) and then start trading anyone else who has value. 

If that means retaining 2M on Myers for next season to get a better  asset , do it. 

If it means retaining 2m on Brock for 2 seasons for the same, do it. 

No one else should require retainment minus OEL but his contract is too long to hold the bag.... 

Depth chart for next season

C EP

RW Kuz (if he is willing to re-sign at 6 mil or lower)

LW Mikheyev

C/W Miller (can't trade)
RW Boeser (can't trade)

LW Pearson (can't trade)

RW Garland

C/RW Lazar

LW Joshua

C Studnicka

C Dries

RW Pederson (RFA re-sign < 1mil)

-------- ~45 mil

=== candidates for promotion from the AHL ===

LW Podz

LW Hogs

C Aman

RW Lockwood

C/W Karlsson

RW Klim

LD Hughes

LD OEL

RD Myers

RD Bear (RFA re-sign ~ 1.5 mil)

LD Dermott (RFA re-sign ~ 1.5 mil)

RD Schenn (re-sign 1.25 mil)

------- ~24 mil

Demko

Martin

------ ~ 6 mil

LTIR: Poolman

That's about 76 mil. Giving us about 6 mil for 3C and upgrade RD. 

If the management can find a way to trade Myers (with cap retention) or they can trade Garland (more likely and with no cap retention). Then we will have about 10-12 mil.

2023-24

Mik-EP-Kuz

Pearson-Miller-Boeser

Podz-3C-Hogs

Joshua-Studnicka-Lazar

Hughes-RD upgrade

OEL-Bear

Dermott-Myers

Schenn

Demko

Martin

This hasn't factored in the pieces we would get back in Bo Horvat trade. We could be getting a 3C or an RD upgrade in that trade or just get future pieces (prospects + picks).

2024-25: The cap will go up by 4 mil (projected). Myers and Pearson come off the books. In total, we will have at least 14 mil. Pettersson will be due for a hefty raise of about 3-4 mil. We will still have about 10 mil or more to upgrade the defence if we weren't able to the previous season.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Ill fitting defensemen with incompatible partners playing on a team with a dearth of two way forwards and almost no puck support/structure (or team identity).

I'm still amazed so many fans think this should look better than it does :lol:

Just look at the arguing with me on this very page! :lol:

Arguing with you? Here I thought it was hockey fan’s exchanging ideas.

Was this just another excuse for you to quote yourself again, agent? I know how you love to do that. :lol:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Arguing with you? Here I thought it was hockey fan’s exchanging ideas.

Was this just another excuse for you to quote yourself again, agent? I know how you love to do that. :lol:

Not so much you, the other one ;)