The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Winnipeg Jets | Jan. 08, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

It really should be obvious at this point. Keep Petey and Hughes along with whoever you can't trade (like OEL) and then start trading anyone else who has value. 

If that means retaining 2M on Myers for next season to get a better  asset , do it. 

If it means retaining 2m on Brock for 2 seasons for the same, do it. 

No one else should require retainment minus OEL but his contract is too long to hold the bag.... 

3 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

And it is team defense which is the problem... and from my perspective, it is the automatic 'collapse to the net' which is one of the main culprits.

Wasn't this one of the things they turned around after they changed coaches last year.  They played that style under Green so much, and now they are back to it.  Sad.

33 minutes ago, You Mad Bro? said:

Or the 2006-2016 Oilers :sadno:

2006-2023.  Still not a contending team.

If the Canucks drafted a 'generational player' in the coming draft, they would be doing a lot better than the Oilers.

But, that's a pipe dream. 

37 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Pa-thetic. 

The balloon has burst on OEL and Myers. Can we just sit their contracts on the bench and try other guys from Abby. 

I thought OEL was ok today but Myers was not. 

Only qualm with OEL is that he is playing to not get injured. 

He'll never retrieve the puck full speed. He'll slow down and let the forechecker go in first everytime so that he doesn't get hit. 

Im ok that he does this while we tank. 

Once we ship everyone out and he is last man standing on D, I would love it if he started playing with some passion again. 

Guy is still talented but he needs the right incentives to light a fire under his butt. I truly think what'll make him tick is an opportunity to contribute and see that his efforts don't go wasted on a crap team that has far too many blunders. 

OEL is a smart guy. Why risk his body when there's nothing to gain

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, MNaslund?? said:

I think management unfortunately showed their direction when they signed Miller to 8 years.  Wouldnt even be suprised if Allvin wanted to be a buyer at the deadline for "next year" when the team has "unfinished business" 

2023/2024 motto

Unfinished

"Unfinished Business"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, higgyfan said:

2006-2023.  Still not a contending team.

If the Canucks drafted a 'generational player' in the coming draft, they would be doing a lot better than the Oilers.

But, that's a pipe dream. 

It seems has lost his touch and that is probably, why Detroit moved on from him.  The Oilers are a few years away, from getting stale, unless they hit on some of their picks.

20 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I have to say this is the worst collection defenders we’ve ever had. The ironic thing is that at the same time Hughes is the best defenceman we have ever had. 

Confused Kid Cudi GIF by Apple Music

Certainly the most offensively gifted by a large margin.  But his defensive ability leaves a bit to be desired.  Which wouldn't be an issue if there were defenders on the blueline who were even just average (well OEL was better than average last season but somebody had to be holding Myers hand).  Hughes will get better but OEL, Myers, whoever, will also be older.

Doesn't help we don't exactly have any Selke candidates up front either.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Another good one, for Karaoke.  The singer related to Freddie Mercury ?  As for this game, "another one bites the dust"

another one bites the dust queen GIF

I didn’t know F Fender was related F Mercury? Or are you being facetious with the names? I think you are.B)

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Comparing our D to Seattles.

We spend more on our top 3 than they spend on their top 6…

Whos getting better results. :picard:

Couldn’t reply to your last message in GDT

Yea but we can’t just be hiring a coach based on whatever unemployed coaches happen to be available.

Wait till the offseason when you have more options. More time to evalute what direction you wanna go too.

^

ya of course but if someone is available they want and the reasons I said that’s really the only reason I could see them do it.

otherwise doesn’t make sense at all.

i was just saying the only scenario it could make sense 

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Comparing our D to Seattles.

We spend more on our top 3 than they spend on their top 6…

Whos getting better results. :picard:

Adam Larsson I couldn’t understand. I just can’t let it go. I wanted to sign him so badly. He doesn’t even entertain free agency. Blows my mind. Him with Hughes would have been amazing and cost effective 

I just cantttt

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 2