The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Pittsburgh Penguins | Jan. 10, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, AnthonyG said:

We can still win a cup with OEL on the books. Ride out Myers and when the contract is up, one of our young D should be ready. Or trade him and just resign Schenn and insert Burroughs until our youth begin to show they are ready. Avoid any long term place holders from here out. Stick to short term solutions until the long term answer is ready

Thing is here, unlike those teams that have won a cup with an OEL type contract on the books, we don't have the benefit of elite prospects or efficient ELC contracts due to trading our high draft picks away. And those teams have usually tanked in prior years to collect draft picks.

And before you say it, no. Coming out of 2017-2019 with Petey, Podz and Hughes is simply not enough to win a cup with. Those 2nd rounders and 1sts we traded away in 2020-2021 will hurt now that Petey and Hughes are out of their ELC years. The unwillingness of this team to stockpile draft picks and punt a year or two has cost us that opportunity.

• Thanks 1

I've lost all interest in watching the games as it's just not worth it anymore.  I'd rather watch a bunch of young guns on a rebuild put in 110% effort with something to prove than whatever is happening now.  

If it wasn't before, it's definitely time now to pack in the season.  Trade deadline can't get here soon enough.

• Cheers 3

4 hours ago, gizmo2337 said:

We have mastered the art of blowing a 3 goal lead. 

Everyone needs a hobby

3 hours ago, Devron said:

And coaching isn’t part of the problem eh? I wish Bruce well. It was fun while it lasted 

But.. but.. B-Bruce there it is?

3 hours ago, grandmaster said:

Was listening to some 650 talk a few min ago and they talked about the Bruins (as I spit on the floor).

They said they basically kept the same roster but one big addition. A grade A defender was added and made the biggest difference. 

Why didn’t our management address this team’s biggest weakness? It makes me angry when I think about it. 

D436A65E-7AA7-4CAC-A373-7EF7ED6816A3.jpeg

Funny, Rutherford knew we leaned on Demko hard last season, I even brought a link, says as much in the first fifteen seconds

He also acknowledged they need to do more during the summer, probably via trade, but still said our defense was good enough to win

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/rutherford-fixing-canucks-defence

3 hours ago, grandmaster said:

I prefer what the Rangers did. We don’t need to undergo several years of a rebuild. Just one or two. 

The caveat to this is it's not something we can replicate 

They had a guy who went on to be a Norris caliber D in Fox who didn't want to be anywhere but New York, they won the lottery twice (even if Laffy and Kakko haven't shown a ton yet), and they were able to reel in probably the highest end UFA forward in recent memory in Panarin 

They'd also been able to rob Ottawa in a Zibanejed trade, get Trouba out of Winnipeg or Pionk and a 1st, and got hits on players they'd drafted in Miller, Chytil, and Shesterkin

New York sells itself, it'll always attract players, Vancouver is beautiful and all but I'm not going to pretend it's got the same pull

But yeah, I'd be down for management and ownership telling the fanbase we're going to rebuild

2 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

TSN is saying teams are callin SJ on Karlsson. Just last year people were saying he couldn't be moved. Karlsson is 32 @ 11.5 cap hit... 

Maybe OEL will have a resurgence as well. 

If Karlsson's moved it'll be at 50% imo, I have a hard time seeing teams who'd be interested being able to take on that full cap hit

San Jose are inevitably poised for a rebuild anyway, getting assets and freeing up even 50% of Karlsson's contract would be a win for them considering he'd be wasted as part of an aging core that isn't going anywhere 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

15 minutes ago, DSVII said:

Thing is here, unlike those teams that have won a cup with an OEL type contract on the books, we don't have the benefit of elite prospects or efficient ELC contracts due to trading our high draft picks away. And those teams have usually tanked in prior years to collect draft picks.

And before you say it, no. Coming out of 2017-2019 with Petey, Podz and Hughes is simply not enough to win a cup with. Those 2nd rounders and 1sts we traded away in 2020-2021 will hurt now that Petey and Hughes are out of their ELC years. The unwillingness of this team to stockpile draft picks and punt a year or two has cost us that opportunity.

I never said that would be enough and wasnt ever thinking that. Once again you can stock pile as many picks as you want, if you fail to develop them, your pile of sh*t just gets bigger. DEVELOPMENT is the key. Yes high end talent does help, but without development its a lost cause. STL and Boston, never really have high picks but are ALWAYS a threat. Why? Because they develop their prospects. 

We finally have place holders to allow or prospects to develop. Podz and Hogs are back down, Karlsson, Klim etc alllll have time to develop now.

Petey Podz Hughes and Demko are all good starts to a foundation to build around. It takes time. Doesnt happen over night and it will be the next few years where our prospects who step up begin to make an impact on ELCs while our main core is just hitting their prime.

• There it is 1

13 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

I never said that would be enough and wasnt ever thinking that. Once again you can stock pile as many picks as you want, if you fail to develop them, your pile of sh*t just gets bigger. DEVELOPMENT is the key. Yes high end talent does help, but without development its a lost cause. STL and Boston, never really have high picks but are ALWAYS a threat. Why? Because they develop their prospects. 

We finally have place holders to allow or prospects to develop. Podz and Hogs are back down, Karlsson, Klim etc alllll have time to develop now.

Petey Podz Hughes and Demko are all good starts to a foundation to build around. It takes time. Doesnt happen over night and it will be the next few years where our prospects who step up begin to make an impact on ELCs while our main core is just hitting their prime.

Thing is we've had the worst of both worlds. Bad development and No picks to develop. And St Louis and Boston have had more draft capital than us. We need to start keeping and adding our picks.

I think development wise we are heading in the right direction since Cull left Abbotsford. Prospects are actually getting prime ice time and the team is winning. (What has Cull added to our NHL team?)

I agree with the general idea of what you're saying. Just that by the time we reach that state, OEL will be off the books. I don't think we can meaningfully compete for a cup during his contract, we simply aren't set up for that. Unless we hit a few gems consecutively in the same draft for the next two years.

• There it is 1

This might be the start of an 8 game losing streak. We might beat the Avs, they're the worst team upcoming, who we face twice, but they look a lot better recently and will be desperate. We may beat Edmonton but that's the end of a back to back (which we've been surprisingly good at this year). 

Realistically we are playing contenders until a game against Chicago which we'll surely snap our 8 game losing streak.

If we do blow them all, that leaves us with a win % of 0.38, good for 4th last in the league...

3 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Yes but I'm saying players are like stocks

Last year, Karlsson was a sinking asset that nobody wanted to touch. This year he's a Norris favorite. 

I don't think OEL will ever be a Norris candidate again but in the right situation, I can see him being a +20 player with 45 pts. 

He wouldn't be untradeable if he did that. 

He needs to be on the right side but the old boy is not gonna change his mind on having him play the left.