The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Thursday January 12 2022 - Vancouver Canucks @ Tampa Bay Lightning - 4pm PT/7pm ET - Amalie Arena

Rate this topic

OldFaithfulCap

1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

Gotta laugh at this Basant Motors ad they keep playing on Donnie and Dhali. The commercial features Podkolzin, Garland and Joshua. A guy in the minors, a guy who's being shopped around and a grinder. Probably could have chosen the cast a little better.

Basant Motors is a used car dealership located in Surrey.  They are lucky they got more than the stick boy to push their inventory...

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

Anyone who thinks that his contract is the worst in Canuck history, is forgetting that we just finished paying for Luongo's contract, 8 YEARS after we traded him back to Florida!

Some recent bad/terrible contracts

Loui E.

Sam Gagner

J.T. Miller

10 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

plus from what i've read Tochett and OEL DID NOT get along at all in Arizona... one way to get him to ASK for a trade...anywhere

Yeah thats what I was implying. Everyone's going to see this as us going out of our way to just mess with guys on poor contracts we are stuck with. I don't want to be signing UFAs so I guess this is a good way to make sure we don't anymore lmao! 

1 minute ago, grandmaster said:

Ok so I told my wife that when we win, I will get a tattoo of the Canuck logo, the Stanley Cup and the year on my entire back years ago (she wasn’t too happy with that). I’m 49 right now and thinking this might not be a good idea once I hit my 70’s

Sad Old Man GIF by La Guarimba Film Festival

Looks more and more like you won't have to worry about it.   :(

For about another 4-8 years.

1 hour ago, Muttley said:

Sure doesn't sound like a tank or even much of a rebuild to me; A little tool. :P maybe, but not exactly what many fans think the directive should be;

agree with donnie, keep losing be realistic here, season done for, start building for next year, get rid crap contracts even if u have to give em away for free or even retain some , bedard or bust 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

We are really trying to bring in tochett? That's one way to try and ruin a team that's already in shambles?

I mean we got two cap dumps signed for years to come and they don't get along with Rick lol... This team is pretty suspect

no coach can fix this mess of a team, so best not to change anythng till we fix some of this mess, not even trotz could fix a sinking ship

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

We can work towards having a GAA below 4.00 in the month of January. It will be really hard with this team.

But the end goal is to tank for Bedard. 

The only thing that will stop that is Miller and Dem are back back (I meant to say back twice) Management needs to cut the knees out and trade Schenn and Bo to keep the future wins low. 

Edited by grandmaster

4 minutes ago, x00x said:

no coach can fix this mess of a team, so best not to change anythng till we fix some of this mess, not even trotz could fix a sinking ship

I want to make it worse, Not make it better! But I also don't want to bring in the one guy who won't add value to Garland haha. Hopefully we don't make a coaching change. 

It just looks like we are trying to compete for the playoffs still which is insane 

7 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

We can work towards having a GAA below 4.00 in the month of January. It will be really hard with this team.

But the end goal is to tank for Bedard. 

even if we dont get bedard , even though id love to have him, top 3 are equal as good for the nucks ...but of coarse like donnie said and others, fairytale ending to get bedard and he helps his hometeam win the cup

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

We should just start the game with the net empty and allow Stamkos to get it over with 

You know it's gonna happen 

What’s sad is I will continue to have heartache regardless of the other team being way better and us needing that better draft pick. I still am still emotionally fighting for this team (only when it’s game time)

Edited by grandmaster
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

We should just start the game with the net empty and allow Stamkos to get it over with 

You know it's gonna happen 

Nick Paul hatty. Nothing like a 3rd liner signed to a massive deal that would tank us but works well for them ( or anyone else ) 

16 minutes ago, Roberts said:

I would sit Myers over OEL but to be honest both should probably sit for a game.

no they shouldn't.  Sit some fwds who are allergic to defense.  When you actually watch closely and see the dmen struggle to compensate for poor defensive play by the fwd core, then it's pretty clear that the issue isn't the dmen.  

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Strawbone said:

I keep thinking of how the Seattle Kraken, in just their 2nd year, have put together a team that's on pace for more points this season than any Canucks team in the last 10 years. They have a bunch of journeymen players, no superstars, and on paper do not look like a 100 point team, but here we are. It just goes to show how building a TEAM is so much more important than collecting a bunch of players that look good on paper.

This Canucks roster has been tinkered with endlessly over the past decade, and the end result is always garbage. Maybe, just maybe, there's some magic combination of a few individual player moves that can bring chemistry and success to this team, but it seems impossible to predict and maybe isn't possible at all. The only path forward that provides at least a reasonable chance at success within a few years is to gut this roster, get as many good draft picks, prospects, and cap space as possible, be near the bottom of the standings for a couple of years (which they're doing anyhow!) and build back from the ground up, taking in to account how every single player added is going to contribute to overall team success. That's obviously the incredibly hard part, but that's why the management folks get paid the big bucks.

Vegas did the same thing in their inaugural season too. This league is too good to have your players take nights off or take periods off and still expect to win. 

I have been saying this for awhile, Canuck teams for decades have been built like this. Full of talent but lacked that journeyman type of players. 

I really think gutting the team is the answer and draft those players who are willing to put in the work night in and night out. 

Not to mention that the games would be a lot more entertaining to watch when the team is putting in a full effort every night.

3 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

I want to make it worse, Not make it better! But I also don't want to bring in the one guy who won't add value to Garland haha. Hopefully we don't make a coaching change. 

It just looks like we are trying to compete for the playoffs still which is insane 

i dont mind rick , but ya..no point in getting a new coach, wait till season is over and than find one that will work well with what JR has planned , and no point in making the playoffs to get rekt in the 1st round, such a waste of time and all it will do is hurt ur team more than help