The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edit- Rick Tocchet Expected To Be Next Head Coach

Rate this topic

BertaNuck

This team is a s***show for sure. The negative stories, one after the other. Previously, Benning fumbled his way through things, but did exactly what the owners wanted. He was a "yes man" who made mistakes.  Remember he got fined at the Draft way back? :lol: He seemed a little careless, and wasn't as good a drafter as he was made out to be. 

The owners brought JR in specifically to turn this team around and make it a winner. Francesco went to Rutherford's house to talk to him. I don't think he's actually interfering this time. And say he is, what is Francesco going to say to JR, "Do what I say or you're fired?" lol JR would probably tell him to FO.  He doesn't need this mess or stress, but he said he likes a challenge. 

I appreciate how candid and honest JR was during his presser, he's a no-nonsense guy and tells it like it is whether we want to hear it or not. I find it kind of refreshing. He's also making some really unpopular decisions for the betterment of the team. I find this refreshing as well. Do what you gotta do to make this team a winner Jim. There is a lot of problems with some contracts, how Benning left things, and the way the market is, 25 teams capped out. It's tough to make trades for good players, let alone a guy like OEL. But I think JR is an experienced cutthroat kind of executive who will try to do what needs to be done, whether it's popular or not. I think there's some big changes coming with the Canucks over the next year, but I also think the Canucks will be a much better team by then.

• Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

This team is a s***show for sure. The negative stories, one after the other. Previously, Benning fumbled his way through things, but did exactly what the owners wanted. He was a "yes man" who made mistakes.  Remember he got fined at the Draft way back? :lol: He seemed a little careless, and wasn't as good a drafter as he was made out to be. 

The owners brought JR in specifically to turn this team around and make it a winner. Francesco went to Rutherford's house to talk to him. I don't think he's actually interfering this time. And say he is, what is Francesco going to say to JR, "Do what I say or you're fired?" lol JR would probably tell him to FO.  He doesn't need this mess or stress, but he said he likes a challenge. 

I appreciate how candid and honest JR was during his presser, he's a no-nonsense guy and tells it like it is whether we want to hear it or not. I find it kind of refreshing. He's also making some really unpopular decisions for the betterment of the team. I find this refreshing as well. Do what you gotta do to make this team a winner Jim. There is a lot of problems with some contracts, how Benning left things, and the way the market is, 25 teams capped out. It's tough to make trades for good players, let alone a guy like OEL. But I think JR is an experienced cutthroat kind of executive who will try to do what needs to be done, whether it's popular or not. I think there's some big changes coming with the Canucks over the next year, but I also think the Canucks will be a much better team by then.

I agree with most everything you say here.  The only part I disagree with is that JR had total autonomy from our owner.  IMHAO JR must operate within the owner’s prescribed direction.  That’s why JR said he’s booking for NHL players coming out of their ELCs (who haven’t performed as well as expected from their draft position) to be the focus of return in trades.  Picks will be secondary pieces.  So a hopeful quick fix instead of longer termed rebuilding moves.  That is our owner’s direction and has been since he bought the club.  

It is a business but I don't fully understand the logic of hirning a new coach mid season. Why not get an interim or let BB ride out the season. I feel like better replacements will be available in the summer (maybe they want the new coach to get a feel for the team?). We will see where this goes but it has been another strange year in Canuckland.

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

I agree with most everything you say here.  The only part I disagree with is that JR had total autonomy from our owner.  IMHAO JR must operate within the owner’s prescribed direction.  That’s why JR said he’s booking for NHL players coming out of their ELCs (who haven’t performed as well as expected from their draft position) to be the focus of return in trades.  Picks will be secondary pieces.  So a hopeful quick fix instead of longer termed rebuilding moves.  That is our owner’s direction and has been since he bought the club.  

He wouldn't have come out of retirement without the mandate to make the decisions.

You're trying to create a conspiracy theory that has zero basis, Alf!

7 hours ago, Provost said:

Saving a few bucks like this is going to cost the team down the road when they are wanting to attract talent and no one of quality will take the job

7 hours ago, BC_Hawk said:

Is a couple million worth the turmoil and damage you have done to the Franchise?

Just so you guys know Bruce will still be paid out the rest of his contract (same as Green is). This move actually costs Aquilini millions extra.

Just now, coryberg said:

Just so you guys know Bruce will still be paid out the rest of his contract (same as Green is). This move actually costs Aquilini millions extra.

You entirely misread the posts  The savings is in delaying hiring the replacement so you aren’t paying an extra salary.

it is the reticence to replace Bruce even though they publicly made it clear repeatedly that they didn’t like the job he was doing and he wasn’t their guy going forward.  The owner not wanting to pay for three head coaches at the same time.

Be thinking about this for a while.

I don't see Tocchet as someone who will have a huge impact witht he team but as a Canuck fan I will give him a chance. I liked him as a player and he seemed to get Garland going in Arizona and maybe he can get some of the core guys to be more responsible.

I am loyal to BB but in doing so I am wanting to see this team do well in the future so if Tocchet is the guy then he deserves the same leeway as all other new Canuck coaches have in the past.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Provost said:

The owner not wanting to pay for three head coaches at the same time.

But he is. You can whine about the Aquilini's and their boneheaded meddling until the cows come home but the one thing they have done since day one is spend loads of money without fail (even while failing).

Nuts to hear he beat Babcock for the job...I know Babcock has had his time in the sun but also been very questionable, but boy would that have been an interesting hire and suddenly we would have had a couple of great coaches behind our bench - AV, Torts, Babcock and BB. Obviously some are more heroic than others...

Tocchet is not one of them though. He will not save this team, we'll more or less be the same as we are now under Bruce. This isn't a coaching problem, it's not a systems problem. It's obviously a defensive personnel problem and not much else. Obviously there are cap issues and lack of prospects, but the on-ice product is suffering right now because of lack of goaltending and defence. Simple as that, nothing more, nothing less. If we had even average Demko and 1 top-4 defenceman we'd be a playoff team (much better than Edmonton and Calgary bouncing up and down). But we don't, instead we have Carolina's 7th man in Bear as our top RD, OEL-Myers weighing us down and two AHL goalies.

This is so annoying. Why bother with a new head coach just to get a bump at the worst time of year. Promote one of the assistants to 'interim HC'. We saw the same thing in BB's first year but again, it was too little too late. Save the coaching bump for the start of next season when it matters.

• Cheers 2

30 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Tocchet is a dead man walking coming in to fill the shoes of a dead man walking. If he really is the guy I will not be giving him a fair shake and I don't feel bad about that at all. 

Bringing him in of all coaches is stupid to begin with, we'd be better off waiting til closer to the offseason when there are more coaching candidates. 

I can't even believe this is a real thing.  That said, I will try to keep an open mind and if he can instill some good systems hockey, then I will have to swallow some of my disgust..........not all, but some

• Cheers 1

I have mentioned this before, but the last time we were in a situation like this was when everybody in the hockey world knew Bob McCammon was going to be fired after a game and that Pat Quinn would take over. The Canucks went out and put 62 shots on Mike Richter and the Rangers only to finish the game in a 3-3 tie. I am hopeful that tonight the boys put it all out there to win one last one for Bruce. 

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I can't even believe this is a real thing.  That said, I will try to keep an open mind and if he can instill some good systems hockey, then I will have to swallow some of my disgust..........not all, but some

If management hadn't drug Bruce through the dirt and Tocchet wasn't who he is maybe I'd do the same, but things are how they are. There are many other guys they could bring in if they wanted systems, they're not even bringing in a guy with a winning track record. He's going to be another placeholder as management tries to figure out what the hell they're doing regarding the roster and the direction going forward. 

Another Green in a sense. 

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1