The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Just Because There Was No Management Thread

Rate this topic

ToTellTheTruth

2 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Our highest paid guy is doing fine.

Gio is still a decent d man, but father time has reduced his game.

I'd take Quinn over Reilly.

Truly- swap all their defensemen for ours and Toronto would be meh, the Canucks, on the other hand would still suck; because our forwards play worse defensively than Toronto- which is scary all by it self. And as I've said- Toronto's goal tending has been better this year.

The more you try to compare Toronto to Vancouver, the more I disagree with you.  Giordano is on one of the most cost-efficient contracts in the NHL.  Despite being the league's oldest d-man, father time seems to have not reduced his game AT ALL.  He leads his team and is 10th in the NHL in blocked shots.  He is the reason why the goaltenders are putting good numbers.  And again, you are being oblivious to Sandin-Liljegren, which is by far the best (and cheapest) bottom pairing in the league.  As is, I rank Toronto's blueline in the top 10, while Vancouver is easily at the bottom 5.

In any case, returning this all back to Vancouver's management - we still suck.  We can't even improve our blueline because we are so preoccupied with figuring out the Horvat situation.

My take on it all is...

Mr Aquilini is a really, really nice guy...

He paid millions for Louie Erricksson to do nothing

He paid millions for Poolman to do nothing

He paid millions for Ferland to do nothing

He paid millions for Holtby to do nothing

He paid millions for this current defense to do nothing

He paid millions for this MASSIVE management group to do nothing

As I said what a nice guy!

Can I get a job Mr Aquilini please?

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 2

New management team is so top heavy..

1.Press- Rutherford - 2. Allvin GM -  3. Smyl  VP Hockey  ( -4 Castonguay AGM - 5. Clancey AGM - 6 Granato AGM ))

* Ryan Johnson - GM Abby -- Ast to GM in Vancouvere

8. D. Tallon  SR Advisor

Also 5 EX players  - player development. team

!3 to discuss hockey issues not counting scouts...

6 minutes ago, wildcam said:

New management team is so top heavy..

1.Press- Rutherford - 2. Allvin GM -  3. Smyl  VP Hockey  ( -4 Castonguay AGM - 5. Clancey AGM - 6 Granato AGM ))

* Ryan Johnson - GM Abby -- Ast to GM in Vancouvere

8. D. Tallon  SR Advisor

Also 5 EX players  - player development. team

!3 to discuss hockey issues not counting scouts...

Dreamteam.

6 hours ago, DSVII said:

It's not fair that this group has such a short leash and no wiggle room or goodwill because of the mess left by Benning, but it is the reality. It was a reality of the situation they walked into. To me, they have this trade deadline to show that they are going to move this franchise in a meaningful direction otherwise yeah, it's the same story. The managerial identity of this franchise since Gillis has been to cut corners and take short cuts to make a 97pt bar in the regular season. That needs to change.

Ultimately though, if there is no change in the overall picture, that is because of the Owner. He is the common denominator in all this incompetence since 2012-2013. Until he is either gone, or he admits that playoffs now at all costs is a directive he needs move off of, we will get more of the same.

It is totally fair that this group has a short leash

they had wiggle room and spent it on Miller and Boesey

they traded a second for Stillman and to dump Dickie, something they said they would not do

If they cannot follow their own mandate, why should they get more rope?

what is really unfair is that Benning got 8 years, and even then it took chanting and jerseys on the ice to force a cosmetic upgrade in the FO.

Its not ALL Aqua's fault

Rutherford did not have to take this job, and it was incumbent on him to ensure he had a workable situation

everyone in the league knew the stories about Aqua pulling the strings

for JR to sign on to a handcuff position can be blamed on no-one but himself

he either signs on with autonomy or he signs on to be part of the problem

simple as that

If I was looking at living in a cardboard box, I might sign on and take Aqua$$$

but

If I had a house paid off in Raleigh and could retire comfortably, I sign on with autonomy or not at all

I find blaming the "Pressure of a Canadian market" incredibly weak

especially considering he brough with him a rookie staff

why bring rookies into this pressure cooker?

and 

potentially signed on to be handcuffed by his boss

where is the pressure coming from, the fans with the short leash or the boss breathing down your, and you helpers, necks?

every Canadian market doesn't have Aqua

I am not saying that Canadian markets aren't different and difficult, they are

here is an article on his thinking

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/canucks-rutherford-keeps-diversity-front-mind-hiring-process/

interesting that he first hired Clancey, then Doerrie before Castonguay,  Allvin and Granado

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

The team currently has 5 key pieces. (Hughes, Demko, Pettersson, Horvat, and Miller) What to do with them depends on what the short-term aspirations are for the team. If the idea is to get somewhat less ambitious over the next couple of seasons (or longer) then I would imagine they would be surplus to requirements and traded. None of those guys are going to want to hang around if the team loses it's playoff ambitions.

On the other hand, the idea could be to augment that group and strengthen the depth with the goal of becoming a .600+ P%  team and beyond. This is obviously a challenge. In part because of cap limitations, but also because of limited player availability. You can have all the cap space in the world but if the player isn't available it's not going to matter.  Have cap space to accommodate Charlie McAvoy? Great, now try trading for him. 

It's going to be interesting to see how things shake down. 

7 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

That's right. He is turning 74 next month. 

I just Googled it. But Vancouver is an 8 hour flight away from Raleigh N. Carolina. 8 hours ! What was he thinking......

I think the interview from Pittsburg shows that maybe he wasn't thinking it all the way through when he made the choice, and he is having some regrets now

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

That's right. He is turning 74 next month. 

I just Googled it. But Vancouver is an 8 hour flight away from Raleigh N. Carolina. 8 hours ! What was he thinking......

I also find it interesting that JR comes in as Stan's boss

why is it that Stan has stagnated

he is not too old to take on that job, but seems to have reached his ceiling

It said in the article I posted above that one on Jim's first moves was to promote Stan

Kind of weird after Stan made that emotional speech during the firing frenzy

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, lmm said:

I think the interview from Pittsburg shows that maybe he wasn't thinking it all the way through when he made the choice, and he is having some regrets now

JR is a good ol’ boys’ club member.  He loves being “the guy” for an NHL club.  That’s why he took this job.  And he will take another after this one.  He will be a consultant.  But he will be in the game.  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

JR is a good ol’ boys’ club member.  He loves being “the guy” for an NHL club.  That’s why he took this job.  And he will take another after this one.  He will be a consultant.  But he will be in the game.  

yes, there is always Arizona

• There it is 1

28 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

What a bitch fest!

What part of "not a quick fix" don't people understand?

wah wah wah.....

It should have been a quick fix, that's the thing.  Two deals at the last tdl or draft and it's pretty much taken care of

Just now, stawns said:

It should have been a quick fix, that's the thing.  Two deals at the last tdl or draft and it's pretty much taken care of

What deals were a quick fix of OEL’s, Garland’s, Myer’s, and Pearson’s contracts (as supporting roles players) eating up huge amounts of cap? It’s going to take the full three years for the supporting cast to be changed over to a younger, cheaper, and much better group.  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, lmm said:

I also find it interesting that JR comes in as Stan's boss

why is it that Stan has stagnated

he is not too old to take on that job, but seems to have reached his ceiling

It said in the article I posted above that one on Jim's first moves was to promote Stan

Kind of weird after Stan made that emotional speech during the firing frenzy

The team do not want to be in the position that they may need to fire a club legend like Smyle. 

If he is the guy in charge with this mess, firing him will be inevitable. 

Edited by 24K PureCool
  • Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Can't tell if you're serious or not, but if that's their plan then they can't even do that right.

If you're gonna tank then do it right.  BoHo, Schenn, Kuz....anyone else of value goes also.

You build your team around a player like Bedard, you don't just add Bedard to a 'meh' squad and hope for the best. 

Accidentally on purpose no matter what is said if we end up drafting Bedard as a bottom five team.    

As far as making those trades, they get credit if they do.   Especially for Kuzmenko.    

Let's be real, a lot of people were excited for this season myself included.   Nobody saw us as a bottom five team.   And with this group, even with our defense, we shouldn't be.   A key part of that is both Demko's play prior to injury, and his injury.   Can't expect this team to end up 3-6th, where he supposed experts had us (most 4-5, a couple 3 and an outlier 6th), essentially a bubble team.    Nobody expected 99 points from Miller again either - however a solid 70-80 point guy, who did other things to contribute (good outweighing the bad) seemed reasonable.   As did some ascension from EP.    

Things could still work out in the medium/long run, but it doesn't seem very likely - and would require some lopsided trades on our part.    As far as keeping the course, trading Brock, re-signing Horvat etc.    

Truly hope they fix it one way or the other, don't mind a couple down years, IF we add assets for the future.   A couple down years after re-signing guys and giving them legacy deals?    That's criminally bad at this point.   Still plenty of time to trade Schenn, Horvat and Kuzmenko ... but they need to start soon before Canuck luck comes in and puts all three on ice (injured). 

4 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

The team do not want to be in the position that they may need to fire a club legend like Smyle. 

Of he is the guy in charge with this mess, firing him will be inevitable. 

Good point.   That said he's not getting any younger, and giving him a chance to put his stamp on this club wouldn't have been the worst thing in the world.   And doubt he'd had done a worse job than what's happened so far.    

Don't mind that they've been patient.   Don't mind the Miller signing on its own either.    It was a better than market deal at the time, considering what Couture, Duchene and Skinner for the last couple seasons - and Kadri etc.   At the very least a solid fair deal.    Sure egg in their face later possibly... so far too. 

As for right now, this team isn't  good enough.   Maybe this is for the best - said it before the season started maybe the best thing is for Demko just to be put on ice if we want to re-set the rebuild.   Demko of last season healthy and playing 65ish games ... with the amount of goals this group is scoring we probably are right where many thought we'd be.   That said maybe this is the medicine we needed to take.   From ownership/management down to the fanbase.   We all want them to win, and playoffs with the age of this group under proper circumstance should be the goal at this point (to get reps in).    Instead, this is what we got.     

Smyl.   Well sure would be nice to get back to our roots.    Doubt he'd put up with much either.   Players respect him too.   Neely in Boston is/was key to getting their core players signed at a discount ... maybe Smyl could have done the same for us.   Guys got the franchise tattooed on his ass.   More so than even Linden did.