The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I don't understand the desperate need to make the playoffs even though they fail to do so year after year.

Rate this topic

Canuckfanforlife82

When the Canucks miss the playoffs again this year

(If you don't count the bubble year where Demko single handedly dragged us thru) 

It will be 7 consecutive seasons of not making the playoffs

We are also on the 4th Head Coach (soon to be 5th)

Edited by Mackcanuck
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

From a business standpoint, money/ (playoff) ticket revenue is a major motivator for team success, even if said team (in this case, us) should rebuild.
Regarding the acquisitions of guys like Provorov, Dumba, etc. I think for the right fit it certainly warrants consideration.  While it may not lead to playoff success right away, guys that we want to move can still thrive in new environments.  Take for instance one scenario that I've proposed before on this site, where (after Toews and Kane get moved) the Hawks may want to take a flyer on guys like Boeser/ Garland as a fresh start in their top-6 where there's a talent vacuum, in the event that their defenders, e.g. Murphy/ McCabe want to leave, we could add a pick to swing a trade.  In saying this, I think there are practical situations where these guys can thrive (other teams could be on the Isles next to Barzal, as they are 22nd in goals for, or to Nashville who's 26th).  With that, I'd argue that some moves (which may look like they're motivated by desires for immediate success) may be the best and only available move, as teams may not want to just trade picks or they may need to move cap out, so in turn we shouldn't view every trade as a "playoff push" move when sometimes it's out of necessity that we take a useful player in or close to their prime coming back.

The problem is that the Canucks have held the delusion that they are one acquisition away from being a strong playoff contender.  They've held this attitude for over 10 years now.  It's almost like we have an inferiority complex against Boston, who has not won a cup since beating us but has been a far more exciting team to watch and are objectively better than us in every conceivable way (except prospects, which makes sense for a team first in the league).  It is such a reckless gamble to offer up picks to get good players right now, because the likelihood of us not making the playoffs is incredibly high.

13 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

The problem is that the Canucks have held the delusion that they are one acquisition away from being a strong playoff contender.  They've held this attitude for over 10 years now.  It's almost like we have an inferiority complex against Boston, who has not won a cup since beating us but has been a far more exciting team to watch and are objectively better than us in every conceivable way (except prospects, which makes sense for a team first in the league).  It is such a reckless gamble to offer up picks to get good players right now, because the likelihood of us not making the playoffs is incredibly high.

We are the Mats Sundin Leafs. Looking like we will do to EP what they did to Mats. Never give him a quality chance to win because we think we are always one more UFA away.

7 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

The owner doesn't think the fans can handle a rebuild, which is wrong and straight up a disrespect to the fans of this team who have stuck it out through thick and thin. 

IMHAO our owner doesn’t trust the fan base to accept even a retool, where we trade one or two of our core five for futures.  

I know this article has only a few fans that express their opinion. but they seem pretty united in what they feel needs to happen. All of these fans make great points. Mr. Aquilini will you please read this.

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-fans-weigh-in-on-half-a-season-gone-half-a-season-to-go/wcm/1c45e940-6cb6-48d3-892b-4ce3577e2cd6/amp/

I think fans are ready to do things the proper way. No shortcuts or fast tracks to success. 

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Alflives said:

Maybe?  But, again, that’s our owner’s concern.  JR/PA wont be around.  Their mandate is to build a winner inside of their contracts.  Then they will either be extended (if the club is indeed winning) or replaced. 

Hmmmm…I always though ALF stood for Alien Life Form not Aquilini Love Fest.

I stand corrected.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Gurn said:

Is Demko going to be able to return to form? Will his injury change/diminish his game?

As far as E.P and Quinn wanting out, I'd say the team would get a large, large haul of picks and prospects for those two.

So many rumours right? As fans we all know it hasn't worked with this group of players? - So much talent but not clicking together.

We have real good forward top 7 players =C t. 1. Petey 24  2. Horvat 27 3. Miller 29 4. Kuzmenko 26  5. Mikheyev 28 6. Boeser 25  7. Garland --

Botom 6 - Lazar- avg -- Joshua 6'3 210. needs to use his size and be more aggressive shown signs .

Pederson 25 - bottom 6 - play okay - Studnicka 23 6'1 - shows signs ?

Lockwood 24 - 5'10 - speed - future ? 

Pearson - Need to try to move next year hand injury maybe next trade deadline 1 yr left 2023-24 X 3.25

Future - Podkolzin 21 -6'1 205 - Like his solid game let him get confidence and good environment in Abby - future top 6

Hoglander 22-- Lots of speed and skill to make up for his size 5'10 -- NHL player for sure - future top 6

Aman  22 - 6'2 - C / W  GP 6 G 2 PTS 5 -- Future bottom 6 --PK

Karlsson 22 - 6'1 - W  Gp 33 - 27 PTS AHL ??

DEFENCE -- C Team weakness

1. Hughes 23 -- Best offensive D man in Canuck history bright future

2. OEL. 31 -- Not playing like a # 2 or # 3 D man -stuck 4 more seasons left - Should be playing better..

3. Myers 32 - RD -- easy to trade after July 1st when bonus is plaid  1yr left- Plays big minutes against other teams best players.

4. Bear-25 RD - currently 2.2 salary RFA -- Hope we resign 4 yrs X 3.1 AAV

5. Schenn 33 RD UFA -- trade get 2nd rounder and try and resign in summer for 2 yrs X 1.1 million

Dermott 26 - ??   Burroughs  27 # 7 guy? Rathbone 23 - think he needs a new start lots of talent never given a long look..

Need to trade

1. of -Miller 29 or Horvat

2. Boeser or Garland 

3. Myers RD - after July 1st -- Need to replace big minutes he plays

4. Pearson - retain 1 million  of 3.2million just 1 season remains

5. Kuzmenko -- Try and resign 4 yrs X 5.7 million AAV-- if not trade him-- Petey might not be happy?

6.  Petey 24 -- Need to resign July 1st -8 yrs X 9.5 million AAV - Future to build around.. See if he wants to stay??

Core 1. Petey 2. Hughes 3. Demko   ( 4. Horvat might have to be moved?

Honestly - I don't care what Petey would like or not.

Do what is best for the TEAM. not one player; even if he is your best.

Never build your team for a player, you build it WITH players.

Petey doesn't like it?  So what.? Petey will return one of the biggest trade values this team has ever received.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Petey doesn't like it?  So what.? Petey will return one of the biggest trade values this team has ever received.

This is very true. I am sure all of them would love to just stay together and work it out but what is best for the team? In fact with the way they speak they seem fine with the status quo, which is awful. Petey I am sure has a lot of friends and would hate to see them go but you can't keep a team together for that reason. 

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

This is very true. I am sure all of them would love to just stay together and work it out but what is best for the team? In fact with the way they speak they seem fine with the status quo, which is awful. Petey I am sure has a lot of friends and would hate to see them go but you can't keep a team together for that reason. 

Return would be very big for Petey or Hughes...

I bet NJ at some point will make a big offer for Hughes? Have all 3 talented brothers together..

NJ - Has the assets to make this trade, maybe waiting until there core get little older 2 or 3 yrs??

17 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Thats a no brainer, if Petey doesn't want to be in Vancouver that would be toxic? Never want a player on your team thats not happy or

wants out...Management will know soon enough..

I think Petey likes it in Vancouver and will be Captain if Horvat is moved..

• Cheers 1

Just now, wildcam said:

Thats a no brainer, if Petey doesn't want to be in Vancouver that would be toxic? Never want a player on your team thats not happy or

wants out...Management will know soon enough..

I think Petey likes it in Vancouver and will be Captain if Horvat is moved..

don't be getting me wrong :) Petey is one hell of a hockey player- but he is only one hockey player.

I'd like him to stay- but I would not be held 'hostage' to his likes and wants.

• Cheers 2

Once a team gets to a certain level -- say, .500 + P% -- they start to get quite close to being a playoff team. Being a playoff team brings with it various benefits. These include things like revenue, experience for players (especially younger players), and the opportunity for management to evaluate said players under playoff conditions. What a team should really try to avoid is just missing the playoffs and getting neither the benefits of playoff participation nor a significant amount of benefit from missing (ie. lottery odds and draft position). I would consider this the worst possible result (WPR). If a team thinks they are reasonably close then I think there is there is a growing urgency to avoid the WPR. That would be my line of thinking. You don't want to miss and pick 13-16 instead of making and picking 17-20. The difference between these two scenarios could be just a handful of points, so, depending on where the team thinks it stands, it could make sense to make investments in the roster that could minimize the chance of the WPR. I think it boils down to incentive, proximity to that incentive, and what a team feels are appropriate investments to try and raise their chances of making it.

Now, if a team thinks it is, for instance, sub .450, they might see the chances of the WPR as too slim, and the investment needed as too much given their position. But even these teams will invest in the roster for other reasons. Do you think Anaheim signed Frank Vatrano because they are " going for it", or because they just needed a guy to play for them while they work their younger player onto and up the lineup?

4 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Agreed with the bold, and how it's problematic that they have the mindset.  In my suggestion though I purposely didn't suggest offering any picks for good players but making smart player swaps due to both teams' situational needs, and I think that is the only right way to really retool on the fly (either trade players from positions of depth for areas of need to teams that could use these players' upside, or trade players for picks and then promote internally, e.g. trade Brock/ Garland near the deadline and promote from within; unfortunately we don't really have in-house replacements for Miller/ Horvat [unless you want Dries as a fixture in the top-9/ top-6] so we'll need to acquire one via one trade).  

Too much :frantic: around here.  I get it...this is a horrible time to be a Canuck fan, but until we know

that the direction the team is going to take, there's no point in trying to project the future.

We do know: 

-this team can score lots of goals.

-this team can play excellent 2-way hockey; inconsistently.

-this team lacks a solid team defensive system.

-this team struggles when the opposition plays a tough, physical game

-this team has been playing without a top 4RD, 3C and a starting goalie

*so far, the only indicator of the team's direction is JR's statement regarding the 2-3yr timeframe to

turn this team around.  This would give the management 2 more TDLs and offseasons to make the

changes that are needed. 

*All we can do as fans is to see how it unfolds and hope that the changes made create a more cohesive

team that can make some noise in the playoffs in a couple of years. 

*Also...they really need to get a top 5oa pick in the draft this year. :towel:

"Patience is a virtue
Possess it if you can
Seldom in a woman
Never in a man
You gotta wait and see"  Tim Finn

• There it is 1

8 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

*so far, the only indicator of the team's direction is JR's statement regarding the 2-3yr timeframe to

turn this team around.  This would give the management 2 more TDLs and offseasons to make the

changes that are needed. 

Burning up what little cap space they had, on forwards, did not help in this attempt to 'turn it around'

imo it hurt.

So far they have done little to help.

Brock

Miller

Mik

3 big money signings- not a quality d man in sight.

Entry/low, scrub  level d men added, but to no one's surprise turned out to be low/scrub/entry level d men.

If this management is going to turn this around in 3 years- they should have started- when they got hired, not pissed away a year, plus.