The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Rutherford press conference

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

27 minutes ago, stawns said:

Skating, no question.  Offense, Hughes, but if OEL got equal pp time, the numbers would even out a lot more.  OEL is a 40-50 pt damn, historically.  Defensively, it's not even close, though Hughes is improving.  Physically it's not even close 

I have very few issues with QH and I'm happy he's on the team.......it is possible to like two players at the same time and it is possible to see both the good and bad in a players game.

Hughes is a 0.83 career PPG while OEL is 0.48.  OEL reached 45+ pts once (55), while Hughes has already 3 in 4 season (4/4 if wasn't injured).   This year Hughes is 1.0PPG while OEL is 0.5 PPG.  No way OEL doubles his points with more PP time.

You say it's not even close defensively, well it's not even close offensively.

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

Maybe once bitten, twice shy...

The original offer was based on Horvats play prior to this season, and yes a 6+M was probably not far from fair value, but with Miller getting 8, Bo was never going to sign for 6+...

i think if they started off the offer between 6.5-7 the deal would have been done.. they started off the offer by offering him a pay cut for his prime.. and for those comparing RNH especially this year.. RNH have over 50% of his points on the top powerplay unit in the league alongside mcdavid and draistial stick him on any other PP he'll have no where close to his production. and based on the statement that indicates even the most recent offer is based on last years production so i'm guessing it was sub 7mil max 8 years term? based on the way he's going he ain't gonna sign that.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

While Rutherford can't take credit for the fact that Vancouver is getting the attention of the entire NHL he can get some kudos for the laughing stock this team has become over the last year.

The entire NHL media are laughing when talking about the Canuck chaos which doesn't seem to be abating.

Many main stream media shows are all saying the same things the local fans are saying and after ridiculing this fanbase for being impatient for years they are now giving the suffering market some love and actually seeing that this has been going on for close to a decade.

They even laugh at statements like "reclamation projects" pointing out that any real good 24 or 25 years old's that teams let go were already failures or those team would keep them, that this idea is not feasible., 

Twenty years ago Edmonton and Toronto were the teams ridiculed for ineptitude now it is the Canucks, even every area.

The great lie being fed fans about not being able to make improvements is only if the goal is to keep the team in the mushy middle as an almost team. TO was able to shed most of their bad contracts in a hot second. Boston retooled in a year moving big contracts all in a restrictive cap environment.

Buying out is worse than retention, it cost more for longer and gets nothing in return. 

There are teams that would take on OEL at 3.6 mil for 4 years. That would cost the Canucks around 15.5 mil but also give them 15.5 mil in cap space. A buyout will encumber the club for 8 years, cost the team 19.3 million over all and have the team carrying a cap hit of 2.3, 4.7, 4.7, 2.1 mil for the remainder of the buyout. With no player coming back. Let's say they were able to get a "reclamation project" back and it worked. A success.

Miller can be traded now, if his contract is not a worry because the cap will increase over time as he ages out then keeping a couple mil a year in retention is not a problem. Miller at 6 mil would get back a 1rst and a AAA prospect. Especially if there was a 50% retention for the remainder of this current contract. It would not matter who was the trade partner, the big win is the cap space and possible future of a decent player. 

Horvat at 2.75 mil cap hit now will enhance any trade for this year, maybe even squeeze out an extra 1rst in 2025. A 2023 1rst, AAA prospect ( dman?) and a player(s).

Sign Kuzmenko maybe for a 4 or 5 year reasonable contract or traded for a 1rst within the next 3 years. IMO 2024 1rst will be handed out like candy next year, again IMO after this year the next best would be within the new window is the 2025 draft that has 2 players already tlked about and could be alomst as deep as this year. 

Boeser dealt with 50% retention

Retention for those players would hit the Canucks for 7 years with the Boeser dropping off in 2 more years, OEL in 3 years and the 2 mil cap hit that is not a problem according to Rutherford, for 7 years.

But the team could get 3 additional 1rst round picks, prospects and a couple of players, dmen in preference.

It would also define the future for 2 more years as a team getting 6 or 7 points less per year than now but better picks.

Petey is in year five and been a force for 4 years so the fallacy of drafted player taking too long means two things, they don't have any confidence in the scouting department and their plan is to try to make a single playoff game and then the players if they keep them are aged out. With the plan as outlined by Rutherford Pettersson and Hughes will both be gone when their deals end. The window is for the next 3 years.  

There is nothing wrong with building around the draft when the team is this bad and without a deep prospect pool right now. A 3 year "building" plan and then a concerted effort to win with the team having lots of young players around 22 yrs old, Pettersson, Hughes and Demko still here, having cap control and space.

But retention gets cap space NOW, today when cap space is like gold. The Canucks just have to use the space they are already using to buy a quicker future. They already use it but it can be shared if want to look at it like that. So cap space is there.

• There it is 1

47 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

One thing I want to say is I can't believe how Garland gets viewed by management/media.

They have been saying that no one wants Connor Garland and that it's a bad contract. That management has been trying to move him since they got here.

I reuse to believe any of this "bad contract/can't move player" talk.

Garland had the second best 5on5 PT totals on the team after Miller last season. Something like 47 of his 52PTS came at 5on5. He basically no power play time as we don't have a second unit. Guy is feisty and has speed for days. I refuse to believe the narrative that is being put out there. Like most, they say its about 1mill per 10 pts. His contract is 4.9 and had 52PT with NO PP time. Hell if he was on the first unit power play you could have easily added 20 PTS to his 52. 72PTS for a player on a 4.9 million dollar contract is great value.

I have said for some time that Garland has been misused here in Vancouver. I love Bruce but he made a comment last season about Garland being a 3rd liner and that didn't sit right with me. Vancouver needs to put guys in positions to succeed. Garland has played most of the season with Dries and Boeser lol and is still at .5PTS per game. Garland is the last guy we could be looking to trade. Just put him with some proper linemates. 

I think Tocchet was the coach in ARI when Garland was there. I'm hoping once Bruce goes (I don't want him to go, I love Bruce but writing is on wall) that Toc will put Garland in a place to succeed. 

Great to hear some love for Garland.

5 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Hughes is a 0.83 career PPG while OEL is 0.48.  OEL reached 45+ pts once (55), while Hughes has already 3 in 4 season (4/4 if wasn't injured).   This year Hughes is 1.0PPG while OEL is 0.5 PPG.  No way OEL doubles his points with more PP time.

You say it's not even close defensively, well it's not even close offensively.

Again, I agree completely Hughes is better offensively.  I never said otherwise

1 hour ago, Odd. said:

No he is not lol. 

Skating: Hughes

Zone exits/entries: Hughes by a long shot

Goals and assists: Hughes

Defensive awareness: Hughes

Poise: Hughes

TOI: Hughes

+/-: Hughes

These are just hand picked stats. Watching Hughes and OEL play it’s quite obvious who the better player is.

Your problem with Hughes is akin to Alf’s problem with Demko. Unjustified, and certainly unbecoming.

Alf loves Demko!  He's our most important player. When he's healthy, he's top five in the league.  

Your evaluation of OEL and Hughes is 100% correct though.  

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Lol all these media parrots acting like they care. It’s become popular to dump on the Canucks again that’s all that’s happening.

Whats deplorable about this? That he’s letting him coach out his contract? Is there something saying you have to fire a coach before their contract expires?

The only bad thing Rutherford has done is call him out publicly. Not firing him is not the bad part.

Wouldn't be so easy for them if we were less if a circus 

Negativity sells and media gonna media but at the same time the Canucks have made themselves an easy mark

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Wouldn't be so easy for them if we were less if a circus 

Negativity sells and media gonna media but at the same time the Canucks have made themselves an easy mark

Things can change quickly. I was so happy when Gaudreau and Chuky wanted out of Cgy. I was making fun of flames fans. And then Florida did the unthinkable and gave up alot for Chucky when they had full leverage. 

Flames are underperforming compared to expectations but this is an example of a GM (Treliving) going from a laughing stock to hero 

I hope the same happens here. Make some moves that silences the laughter

32 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Whats deplorable about this? That he’s letting him coach out his contract? Is there something saying you have to fire a coach before their contract expires?

The only bad thing Rutherford has done is call him out publicly. Not firing him is not the bad part.

Maybe it's happened, but certainly not in this market, where a serving president of Hockey comes out publicly and tells everyone that he's been actively talking to other coaches during the season while the current coach is on the last year of a deal and struggling with his team?

Would I call that 'deplorable', maybe not, but I also wouldn't call it completely professional either. 

How would JR like it if Aquaman came out in a presser and said he's looking for both a new president and a new GM?  Something tells me that JR wouldn't appreciate that very much. 

• Vintage 2

18 hours ago, lmm said:

hahahahahah

that is such a load!

Name one poster to ever quote Drance as proof of their argument

Drance is the most hated person in Vancouver

and you think he is leading the "blind"

Name one poster who actually likes Drance

here I'll help you out

I like Thomas Drance

But I rarely agree with him, I just think he is funny, and when he speaks he winds up  people like you blaming him for everything wrong in Canuckville

But other than me, name one poster who admits to liking Drance

what are all these Drancehaters doing, hiding under their covers at night secretly pledging allegiance to the messiah whose name they shall not speak?

That is about as likely as JT earning his millions in year 5

I don't recall using the word "like" and Drance" in the same sentence.  A face and voice only a mother could like. 

But I'd just heard him on 650 rail on about the Miller signing and then come on here to see a new wave of anti-Miller posts.  Coincidence? maybe. 

I'm opposite in that I can't say I like Drance, but I have mostly agreed with Drance in his past railings against Benning for years now, while a lot were pushing back on that criticism.  And before him I was one of the few defending Jason "we need an army" Botchford, in his early sentient criticism of JB's quick fix philosophy.  Its not about liking the person. Or that one has to either agree with everything or nothing.  It depends on the topic and their position doesn't it?  Same with other posters in here. I sometimes agree with a fellow poster but on another topic I may vastly disagree. Its not elementary school ffs.

Drance was near hysteria after the Rutherford presser.  Even if signing Miller and not Bo was a mistake..(which I don't think it was)...its done now. Its time to accept reality and move on.  

And most would be pretty happy if JT earned his millions for 4 seasons before declining.  Do you think that if Bo signed the exact same deal, he'd be scoring 50 goals a season still by year 5? Or to be fair, even anywhere close to this season? Don't you think that decline is inevitable with most long term signings around the league?  Who will be more valuable in the next few years to the team improving if you had to only keep one of them?  I'll take Miller.  You'd take Bo.  Agree to disagree.

• Huggy Bear 1

3 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Things can change quickly. I was so happy when Gaudreau and Chuky wanted out of Cgy. I was making fun of flames fans. And then Florida did the unthinkable and gave up alot for Chucky when they had full leverage. 

Flames are underperforming compared to expectations but this is an example of a GM (Treliving) going from a laughing stock to hero 

I hope the same happens here. Make some moves that silences the laughter

Florida hasn't been making good decisions as of late.

I wonder what's going on over there. 

Brunette did a great job filling in for Q and he's let go for a coach who hasn't bee able to get a talented Jets team to the playoffs.

Then they disrupt all the good chemistry built on by Barkov and Huberdeau... and they give up Weegar and a 1st as well.

As it stands, they have no first rounder for the next 3 seasons.

2 minutes ago, kilgore said:

I don't recall using the word "like" and Drance" in the same sentence.  A face and voice only a mother could like. 

But I'd just heard him on 650 rail on about the Miller signing and then come on here to see a new wave of anti-Miller posts.  Coincidence? maybe. 

I'm opposite in that I can't say I like Drance, but I have mostly agreed with Drance in his past railings against Benning for years now, while a lot were pushing back on that criticism.  And before him I was one of the few defending Jason "we need an army" Botchford, in his early sentient criticism of JB's quick fix philosophy.  Its not about liking the person. Or that one has to either agree with everything or nothing.  It depends on the topic and their position doesn't it?  Same with other posters in here. I sometimes agree with a fellow poster but on another topic I may vastly disagree. Its not elementary school ffs.

Drance was near hysteria after the Rutherford presser.  Even if signing Miller and not Bo was a mistake..(which I don't think it was)...its done now. Its time to accept reality and move on.  

And most would be pretty happy if JT earned his millions for 4 seasons before declining.  Do you think that if Bo signed the exact same deal, he'd be scoring 50 goals a season still by year 5? Or to be fair, even anywhere close to this season? Don't you think that decline is inevitable with most long term signings around the league?  Who will be more valuable in the next few years to the team improving if you had to only keep one of them?  I'll take Miller.  You'd take Bo.  Agree to disagree.

How about neither. 

• Cheers 1

The talk of buyouts does make me nervous. In hindsight, we should have never traded for OEL, and just let those contracts expire. 
I thought he was going to recapture form, but now I wish we kept that 1st round pick. At the time I was happy with the trade, because none of the top Dmen were there, but now we're stuck with his contract, and he keeps regressing. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Nave said:

The talk of buyouts does make me nervous. In hindsight, we should have never traded for OEL, and just let those contracts expire. 
I thought he was going to recapture form, but now I wish we kept that 1st round pick. At the time I was happy with the trade, because none of the top Dmen were there, but now we're stuck with his contract, and he keeps regressing. 

Almost like reclamation project doesn't work and yet we just heard from the horse's mouth that reclamation project is the plan.

• Cheers 2
  • RoughGame 1

2 minutes ago, Nave said:

Knowing he's untradeable, I'm praying he pulls a Karlsson and has a resurgence. Buying him out would be terrible

19 hours ago, CanuckRookieFan said:

It's funny to read some of the fans opinions on the state of the Canucks. The reality is that you can't really question the management because they are getting f paid $1,000,000+ a year to their job, they are hand picked, individually selected experienced hockey gurus.

Its laughable to think any fan knows better what to do than the Canucks managment, whatever idea you got they already reviewed it. I am a huge believer in authority, I think they got a plan for a back up plan for a back up plan. You need to put your trust into the huge salaries and experienced the Canucks front office have, there are plenty of articles written how it's the best front office in the league. Best means good, means amazing etc so why do fans on here think they are smarter than managment? Boggles the mind.

I think we found Aquilini’s CDC account. Yes Frankie just keep spending to the cap and run it back, one of these days we will get in the playoffs and anything can happen. It’ll be great, two weeks of being relevant and getting 2 home games of gate revenue. All worth the 10+++ years of mediocrity. But it’s his team, his direction. That said just wait for the aftermath. Season ticket sales are going to plummet and the value of the club will deteriorate even worse then it has the past decade. Fans here are loyal and have plenty of hockey knowledge. Don’t get confused loyalty with blind stupidity. The gig is up and most fans aren’t buying what this ownership is selling and that’s the bottom line.

15 hours ago, Toyotasfan said:

Check your facts, the draft Lottery was started in 1995 , long before the Oilers won the Lottery for first overall 3 years straight . 

You are right. I must be living in an alternate reality. Apologies.  

3 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

How about neither. 

I could agree on that.  i was hoping we'd trade Miller for a haul.

And please, for the love of gawd JR, don't sign both. 

I would have got behind trading both, not signing Boeser.  Grab some first round positions.  Maybe had a real shot at Bedard. 

I'm just being a realist. We have Miller, probably won't have Bo much longer.  I support the players who are signed here, and are producing for us, until they aren't.  I also think the team needs the kind of chemistry Miller brings to it. Don't ask me for an in depth interpretation of that.

• Cheers 1