The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who would replace Tyler Myers if he is traded/bought out?

Rate this topic

Hectic

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

Yeah, was a pretty bad ending, considering he's overpowered everyone and suddenly forgets how to fight.

It was absolutely trash. GARBAGE. 

He literally was being beaten to death by half the town, and then killed them all. Then he goes to living in a drainpipe (???) 

11 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

No reason to move him before this summer. We're not making the playoffs. I don't want his cap hit hanging around next season if it can be avoided. I think there will be 2 or 3 teams this summer who will be willing to take his contract once his 5 million signing bonus is paid. The idea of eating up 6 million in cap space while only spending 1 million will be attractive to teams like Arizona who don't want to be above the floor for another couple of years and they want to spend under it if they can arrange it.

The good thing about your idea is that it would give Foote and Gonchar some time to work with Meyer. If they can help him it maybe makes a future trade easier and worth more. 

• Like 1
  • There it is 1

55 minutes ago, Hectic said:

I have heard a very common narrative that Tyler Myers is one of the main issues with our team, and that he's been an anchor on D in a bad way. 

I personally feel that Tyler Myers is a top 4 D man - big, right handed, mobile, and can be offensive at times (he has flashes where I always think... why doesn't he do that more often?!). Sure he makes erratic plays from time-to-time, and who could forget the bubble playoffs where he would take 2-3 penalties per game (hence the name Tyler Minors.. loved that lol). 

But my question is this: if Myers is traded or bought out, who all of a sudden comes in and replaces him? Sure, $6 million in cap space opens up. Gudbranson got $4m on the open market, clearly RHD aren't cheap. So CDC, what would you do? Or keep the following: 

Hughes - Schenn 

OEL - Bear 

Dermott - Borroughs 

Personally I feel an OEL buyout would make more sense - easier to find LHD than RHD. And maybe next year Rathbone can stick with the team and Dermott moves up to the 2nd pairing. 

My question is, why are you assuming we aren't getting any D men back in trades before the deadline or in free agency? 

I imagine if trades go down for players like Bo, Boeser, Kuzmenko etc. there will be pretty decent RHD or two coming back. Not to mention free agents this summer.

6 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

It was absolutely trash. GARBAGE. 

He literally was being beaten to death by half the town, and then killed them all. Then he goes to living in a drainpipe (???) 

This exactly and then he's killed one on one by grandma in hand to hand combat??? WTF????????????????????????

:picard:

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

The good thing about your idea is that it would give Foote and Gonchar some time to work with Meyer. If they can help him it maybe makes a future trade easier and worth more. 

Exactly...if he was costing 2 - 2.5 million less and playing better, I'd be pretty happy to keep him, same with OEL, but we can't afford their cap hit right now with other priorities. Our defense spending is really out of alignment with the rest of the team.

1 hour ago, Hectic said:

I have heard a very common narrative that Tyler Myers is one of the main issues with our team, and that he's been an anchor on D in a bad way. 

I personally feel that Tyler Myers is a top 4 D man - big, right handed, mobile, and can be offensive at times (he has flashes where I always think... why doesn't he do that more often?!). Sure he makes erratic plays from time-to-time, and who could forget the bubble playoffs where he would take 2-3 penalties per game (hence the name Tyler Minors.. loved that lol). 

Both are true at the same time. He's both a top 4 D (big, right handed, mobile, and can be offensive ((and physical)) at times) like you said, and he's also an extremely poor fit on this roster, with his $6m cap taking up money and a roster spot that we could use to better effect and address our top 4.

Our problem is that all 3 of our top 4 D, are offensive minded (to varying degrees and respective skill sets) D who all want the puck and would do better with a defensive minded D partner. Which we have exactly one of in Schenn (who would be 3rd pair/spare on a good team). It's a bit of an ill fitting poop-show.

We don't have an overwhelming lack of talent, we just have an overwhelmingly bad mix (and on top of that a lack of two way forwards, and puck support from them...and the non existent team structure under previous coaching).

Generally, we've basically got this set up to not remotely get the most out of anyone. Hence the results.

1 hour ago, Hectic said:

But my question is this: if Myers is traded or bought out, who all of a sudden comes in and replaces him? Sure, $6 million in cap space opens up. Gudbranson got $4m on the open market, clearly RHD aren't cheap. So CDC, what would you do? Or keep the following: 

Hughes - Schenn 

OEL - Bear 

Dermott - Borroughs 

Personally I feel an OEL buyout would make more sense - easier to find LHD than RHD. And maybe next year Rathbone can stick with the team and Dermott moves up to the 2nd pairing. 

A lot likely depends on if we get a D back in trade from any of Horvat, Schenn, Kuz, Miller etc.

I was hoping Zub was going to make it to UFA...oh well.

Either of Jensen or Mayfield would be good short term UFA solutions but this is not likely something that gets solved, particularly long term, overnight.

This just in, our D, and it's succession (Schenn/Myers) is a MAJOR problem :lol: Almost like certain posters have been screaming this for a couple years...:P

IMO we have:

Hughes, ____

OEL, ____

Dermott, Bear

Burroughs

Bringing Schenn (if interested and reasonable terms) back temporarily fills one of those holes. And yes, Bear can "technically" move up to play with OEL. And then we just need a 3rd pair RD (Livingstone? a prospect?, UFA?) if we don't manage a 2nd pair D in trade/UFA.

But again, that's far from "ideal" (though likely a better mix of skill sets than what we have now). Schenn and Bear are both better 3rd pair D than top 4 though. 

Getting a more compatible than Myers, top 4 D in trade would go a LONG way to improving things though.

No, buying out OEL...it's just such a ridiculously bad plan with 8 years of cap, to pay a perfectly capable top 4 D to not play for you. Non-starter.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

what would the point of buying out Myers be?  He'll be worth something next deadline

His contract is also buyout proof, even more than OEL's. His cap hit next year would be $5,333,334, once you add in a replacement player at even minimum $750k, you're looking at a net loss of a minimum of $83k of cap.

Seriously how does anyone think that 1- it's a good idea, or that 2- any management would be dense enough to do it?

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1