The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do you trust Rutherford?

Rate this topic

DeepThoughts

I'll add one thing. I dont trust Rutherford will go into this year's draft with two first rounders. He's going to move one for a crap deal.  It feels like it.

Please hold the isles first rounder and draft someone. Don't use the 1st to offload cap or get a project plz.

I think he is worthy of time.

Most complaining about Rutherford now were long time supporters of Benning's circus and because their favourite player got traded.

He warned the fans about doing stuff they wouldn't like, were you not listening?

Usually a losing culture has to have a lot of core pieces taken off the team to alter the gloom.

AS fans having the status quo was worthy of our ire, but once change, real change starts fans shouldn't start heating up the irons.

So ya, for now I trust Rutherford.  Besides it was Allvin that signed Miller, he is the GM.

I definitely don't trust him or his people. This trade for Bo was robbery. They sold off a 1-1a center reaching his prime, who if you look at his yearly progression will likely be a 40-50 goal scorer for at least the next three seasons, who has for years taken all the tough defensive assignments without complaint, the majority of faceoffs, and tough defensive zone starts, and was a class guy; and what did they get in return? Beauvillier, a bottom six bust of a winger, Raty, a former top prospect who slid to the second round and is not impressing anybody in the A, probably projects to a 3-4C and they didn't even get a guaranteed pick in this draft! And if they do get the pick, it's mid first, which becomes crap shoot time. THIS is the best they could do while retaining salary? They got ROBBED!

Edited by canuckleheads fan

7 hours ago, smithers joe said:

what does it really matter? i'm more interested on this team getting fixed. i can't do it, so i'll leave that to who can. moving right along with the retool/rebuild.

Yup

Do we "trust" him?  That's kind of an impossible and open ended question.

Trust is built up through time.  It took a lot of years to finally find out we could not trust Benning. IMO, at least 3 years too late.

The time to ask this is in about two years time.  Are we in a comfortable playoff position at this same time of the year? Are we happy with our D situation? Do we feel we can contend for the Cup?

or has he made blunder after blunder and we are in much the same situation?  (please god no)

Then fans can judge him on trust, and Aqualini can decide if he, or most likely his protege Alvin, can be extended as GM.

14 hours ago, DSVII said:

I'll add one thing. I dont trust Rutherford will go into this year's draft with two first rounders. He's going to move one for a crap deal.  It feels like it.

Please hold the isles first rounder and draft someone. Don't use the 1st to offload cap or get a project plz.

No way they will move their 1st, especially not their own first in this year's draft. Even JR isn't that dumb. In fact he might try and get a 3rd 1st by trading someone like Garland or getting a 3rd by trading Schenn.

• Cheers 1

53 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

No way they will move their 1st, especially not their own first in this year's draft. Even JR isn't that dumb. In fact he might try and get a 3rd 1st by trading someone like Garland or getting a 3rd by trading Schenn.

...................unless they whip-up a "dream-deal" to get Bedard!   

• Like 1

Here's how I see this ...

We've gone 50+ years without a Cup. The last 12 years have been really disappointing. The last regime put a lot of emphasis on "character" during and post-Sedins era.

I had a hard time with how they handled the Bruce situation. No one needed that. Especially Bruce. But very quickly, through the emotion, I did see an upside with Tocchet and why they wanted him.

For a long time this team has lacked urgency, cohesiveness, physicality, intensity, accountability, grit, pushback, backbone, and hard play ... all at the expense of a major focus on speed, skill, and character. 

We've needed change for a long, long time. These guys are seeing things more from an east coast lens - edgier, tougher, grittier, more accountable, and harder. We need those things if we're going to win.

In order to win, we HAVE TO to do things differently. Even if it hurts and we don't like some decisions or their approach.

I've said this before ... We've tried the nice guy approach and it didn't work. We tried the nice guy approach and got pushed around. We tried the nice guy approach and can't win.

Do I trust Rutherford? It's still too early ... 

BUT ... the reality is ... We're now surrounded by guys who have and know how to win ...

Rutherford - 3 Cups 

Allvin - 3 Cups 

Tocchet - 3 Cups 

Foote - 2 Cups 

Gonchar - 1 Cup 

I'm not saying that guarantees us anything ... BUT ... even if we don't like them, they do know what it takes to win. Even if it's not pretty.

We've been a losing organization. We shouldn't be running these guys out of town. They've got 2-3 years - their timeline - to earn trust.

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

9 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Here's how I see this ...

We've gone 50+ years without a Cup. The last 12 years have been really disappointing. The last regime put a lot of emphasis on "character" during and post-Sedins era.

I had a hard time with how they handled the Bruce situation. No one needed that. Especially Bruce. But very quickly, through the emotion, I did see an upside with Tocchet and why they wanted him.

For a long time this team has lacked urgency, cohesiveness, physicality, intensity, accountability, grit, pushback, backbone, and hard play ... all at the expense of a major focus on speed, skill, and character. 

We've needed change for a long, long time. These guys are seeing things more from an east coast lens - edgier, tougher, grittier, more accountable, and harder. We need those things if we're going to win.

In order to win, we HAVE TO to do things differently. Even if it hurts and we don't like some decisions or their approach.

I've said this before ... We've tried the nice guy approach and it didn't work. We tried the nice guy approach and got pushed around. We tried the nice guy approach and can't win.

Do I trust Rutherford? It's still too early ... 

BUT ... the reality is ... We're now surrounded by guys who have and know how to win ...

Rutherford - 3 Cups 

Allvin - 3 Cups 

Tocchet - 3 Cups 

Foote - 2 Cups 

Gonchar - 1 Cup 

I'm not saying that guarantees us anything ... BUT ... even if we don't like them, they do know what it takes to win. Even if it's not pretty.

We've been a losing organization. We shouldn't be running these guys out of town. They've got 2-3 years - their timeline - to earn trust.

Well said! I couldn't agree more. Especially with what you say in the bold font paragraphs.

I'm not sure if I trust JR. But I trust the process. What he's laid out at the outset when acquired as prez of hockey operations. It might seem that he's strayed from that; signing JTM, bringing in more forwards instead of needed D,  trading our beloved BoHo, etc. But as I mentioned, it's all to get us to contention.

I think I get what he's up to. He's still got to make trades to get us some drafts, prospects and offload pricey contracts. He's gotta look to the future of keeping Petey a Canuck, and any other young players they deem part of the process; Hogs? Pods? Up and comers from the farm, university, Euro leagues, etc. All while knowing that the team will suck for awhile more. 

Yea. We'll suck for awhile, but as you said above," In order to win, we HAVE TO to do things differently. Even if it hurts and we don't like some decisions or their approach."

• Like 1
  • There it is 1

1 hour ago, Sativika said:

Well said! I couldn't agree more. Especially with what you say in the bold font paragraphs.

I'm not sure if I trust JR. But I trust the process. What he's laid out at the outset when acquired as prez of hockey operations. It might seem that he's strayed from that; signing JTM, bringing in more forwards instead of needed D,  trading our beloved BoHo, etc. But as I mentioned, it's all to get us to contention.

I think I get what he's up to. He's still got to make trades to get us some drafts, prospects and offload pricey contracts. He's gotta look to the future of keeping Petey a Canuck, and any other young players they deem part of the process; Hogs? Pods? Up and comers from the farm, university, Euro leagues, etc. All while knowing that the team will suck for awhile more. 

Yea. We'll suck for awhile, but as you said above," In order to win, we HAVE TO to do things differently. Even if it hurts and we don't like some decisions or their approach."

I'm glad you see it as trusting the process. It really does come down to that. Changing the culture is indeed a process. It's going to be painful, uncomfortable, but necessary. We can't continue doing the same things. We've been doing it for 50 years. We have to accept that these guys are winners whether we like it or not. And to win, we have to do things culturally that we don't like.

A lot of this is understood in eastern hockey cultures, and that's where they have the advantage. It shows that Benning wasn't wrong in the approach - this management is taking the same approach - but they're not committed to seeking approval or being nice. 

Somehow we've lost sight of what it really takes to get to the final - namely with edgier guys that bring things that nice guys can't. Both the 94 and 2011 teams consisted of guys that brought grit, intensity, attitude,

intimidation, pushback, accountability, etc. This is how the country club has crept into this team over time. We're not holding ourselves to that harder standard. 

Enter this regime ... creating chaos and uncomfortable change. It's the difference we've wanted and needed. We're not going to win as nice guys. We need to see this through. At least give this regime the time to earn trust. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

On 1/29/2023 at 4:12 PM, DeepThoughts said:

I don't trust this guy at all. He's besties with George W...

Screen Shot 2023-01-29 at 4.11.39 PM.png

No and not anytime soon, I don't trust a bonehead that doesn't wait and see how much better a return for Horvat could have brought  closer to the TDL than a month, he should have waited at least another 2 weeks ish

A conditional draft pic? Wtf was that all about? 

If the Isles pick it up next season and that pick could either drop or rise depending how they do but how the F can this team afford to risk that?  Unbelievable... So not impressed with either JR or AL at all!

This keeps up and a cup run? NO and not anytime soon either! Good grief.. 

On 1/29/2023 at 4:50 PM, chon derry said:

They’ve  all got a drinking problem….:PDB399ACA-CD1D-4F2C-8D42-A4796D8B2A3B.thumb.jpeg.4699cf82b24fccfeada964a6d18205f6.jpeg

Looks to me like 3 guys drinking their own b.s. cool-aid.. 

How can this be solved? Idk, FA sells the team, new owner fires all 3, gets a new GM who can actually build a team for once, we build a contender and being a Canucks fan is fun again... (I know, I know) 

One can dream though right? 

• Haha 1

Does it really matter, whether we trust him or not?

He is here and in charge of the team. He has started the much needed transformation. 

We may not agree on his methods, the players he's moving on or the deals he does, but we have to give him at least a few years to see, if it is another false dawn. 

At least we are not going to continue with the tried and trusted... it didn't work. 

Hopefully more player movements to come, but over next year and a half expect a lot more dealings done. 

In a couple of years we can burn him at the stakes, if it doesn't work. 

PS. Could care less, who's hand he's shaken...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

On 1/31/2023 at 6:24 AM, DSVII said:

Lets just hope it isn't so.... and if he moves it, it should be something good. 

I have been pretty harsh on MGMT. A lot of what they have done has really rubbed me the wrong way so I decided t make a list of pro's and cons since they arrived. 

Pro

-Hamonic for a 3rd

-Mikheyev signing

-Kuzzmenko signing

-Thank goodness they got a 1st hard to swallow cost but depending on who they pick this trade could work out. 

- Kids to the farm

-Bains, Aman, 

-Bear

Meh

-Miller extension felt he was a good trade chip that could have helped long term 

-Kuzzmenko re signing felt he was a good trade chip that could have helped long term 

-Bo trade I don't hate it but I'm not thrilled with it. I don't think it was necessary would have preferred to move Miller or have both and not Brock and flip Kuzz would have been ideal. 

Con

-3rd for Dermott

-Brock re signing 6.65m country club soft slow player should not have been signed 

-Treatment of Bruce there it is

-Dilution of our wings there are too many bodies and not enough ice. So much money tied up on wingers that we are discussing good players like Garland who was top 30 5v5 last year and 7th in penalties drawn as potential cap dumps.

-Lekkerimaki pick these picks are gold small scoring 1 way wingers even good ones get traded all the time for peanuts 

-Stillman 

So I guess overall it looks pretty even I give new MGMT a meh!

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I have been pretty harsh on MGMT. A lot of what they have done has really rubbed me the wrong way so I decided t make a list of pro's and cons since they arrived. 

Pro

-Hamonic for a 3rd

-Mikheyev signing

-Kuzzmenko signing

-Thank goodness they got a 1st hard to swallow cost but depending on who they pick this trade could work out. 

- Kids to the farm

-Bains, Aman, 

-Bear

Meh

-Miller extension felt he was a good trade chip that could have helped long term 

-Kuzzmenko re signing felt he was a good trade chip that could have helped long term 

-Bo trade I don't hate it but I'm not thrilled with it. I don't think it was necessary would have preferred to move Miller or have both and not Brock and flip Kuzz would have been ideal. 

Con

-3rd for Dermott

-Brock re signing 6.65m country club soft slow player should not have been signed 

-Dilution of our wings there are too many bodies and not enough ice. So much money tied up on wingers that we are discussing good players like Garland who was top 30 5v5 last year and 7th in penalties drawn as potential cap dumps.

-Lekkerimaki pick these picks are gold small scoring 1 way wingers even good ones get traded all the time for peanuts 

-Stillman 

Like that the front office has been extended in size as well...

But, as in all walks of life, results matter. If they don't improve, it doesn't really matter. 
time will tell. 

• Cheers 1
  • elephant 1

6 hours ago, hammertime said:

Pro

-Hamonic for a 3rd

-Mikheyev signing

-Kuzzmenko signing

- Kids to the farm

-Bains, Aman, 

-Bear

Meh

Con

-3rd for Dermott

-Stillman 

I agree on Boeser, soft and useless on his D game. When he started to play better for awhile there, I'd have traded him for a D prospect and saved cap there too. 

Actually if JT picks it up again, He can still be traded as well before the TDL but only for D imo but his attitude lately hasn't been helping us any..  all he had to do was mimic last year or somewhat close to it...

Sigh... It never ends lol