To LA:

Demko

3rd

To Van:

Quick

1st

Durzi 

Turcotte 

Turcotte to dump quick. Over value paid to dump but demko is going back the other way remember... Durzi and 1st is almost fair but being a division rival and getting the best player you gotta play up. It's been awhile since we did our classic throw in pick so figured I'd get the ball rolling ;)

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

You haven't really been putting up much of an argument. 

Not really what I have been saying whatsoever. What I am arguing is that he isn't an elite NHL talent until he proves it in the NHL which McDavid proved when he stepped in as an 18 year old.

right. so would you have said that mcdavid wasn't an elite player BEFORE he debuted in the nhl, even though it was crystal clear that he was beforehand?

16 minutes ago, tas said:

right. so would you have said that mcdavid wasn't an elite player BEFORE he debuted in the nhl, even though it was crystal clear that he was beforehand?

Quite literally he would be an elite junior-level player prior to playing in the NHL and proving that he is in fact an elite NHL player. A prospect with franchise-level potential. 

I am not sure how much more obvious I can make it out to be. You seem fairly hellbent on thinking I mean something other than that. 

Edited by Junkyard Dog

53 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Quite literally he would be an elite junior-level player prior to playing in the NHL and proving that he is in fact an elite NHL player. A prospect with franchise-level potential. 

I am not sure how much more obvious I can make it out to be. You seem fairly hellbent on thinking I mean something other than that. 

you argued the fact that demko had elite pedigree. what that means is he was elite at every level, just like mcdavid. there has never been a point in time since long before any of us had heard his name where demko wasn't considered elite within his peer group. 

32 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Demko

Dermott

for

Clarke

2nd

Peterson 

or

Grans

1st

Peterson

Building a team of Petersons or similar....except we just lost Pederson to waivers.  Too bad, it could have been really special and hilariously famous in the sporting world for years to come.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Kubrick said:

If we could find a way:

LA:

Demko (retention)

Rathbone

Van: 

Clarke

796D7FC5-6C21-4533-A861-9400B942E954.jpeg

Probably the single most realistic trade suggested here.

Seriously who the F*** genuinely thinks LA or anyone else is going to give up a first, a solid prospect a b prospect and a roster player for an injured goaltender.

The single highest return for a goaltender in the last 13 years was a 9th overall pick given to a team for a goaltender named Schneider.

And some people think that 2-4 assets are coming back for Demko?

Give your gd heads a shake seriously.  

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Seriously who the F*** genuinely thinks LA or anyone else is going to give up a first, a solid prospect a b prospect and a roster player for an injured goaltender.

The single highest return for a goaltender in the last 13 years was a 9th overall pick given to a team for a goaltender named Schneider.

Hey now, I thought my DeSmith + Kapanen (cap dump) + Blomqvist and a pick/prospect wasn't too out of line :P 

Cap works, situation works for both teams, assets for taking their dump + giving them Demko for a backup... Everybody wins!

8 minutes ago, tas said:

you argued the fact that demko had elite pedigree. what that means is he was elite at every level, just like mcdavid. there has never been a point in time since long before any of us had heard his name where demko wasn't considered elite within his peer group. 

You argued that fact initially actually. 

These are your words.

"his track record up to this point, since he was a teenager, was exclusively "elite goalie"."

"he's been pegged as an elite starter since before he we went to college. his pedigree is beyond reproach."

You literally said he was an elite goalie since he was a teen. That's vague. The point I was making toward that was to what degree? and how does having elite potential then compare to being actually elite in the NHL today? I got no real elaboration to what you said or answer to my point so I took a different approach in order for us both to be more clear on a matter by stating he wasn't an elite NHL goalie back then he just had elite potential. 

I pointed out that he's recently and limitedly shown he can be elite goalie the past 2.5ish years and that his recent play hasn't proven he is. 

You seemed hellbent on thinking I was stated something other than what was my actual point. 

And now you just compared McDavid to Demko.

Could LA use a goaltender? Yes. Could they use a Demko? Yes. Is he going to put them over the hump sooner than later? Probably not. Could he provide some stability in the meantime? Perhaps, but he's not even healthy at this point. 

LA's done very well to be competitive at this stage but they're not far removed from their rebuilding phase. You've also got to consider what they'll look like over the next few years, Kopitar is still playing as their 1C and he'll be 36 in August. Can Danault step up as a 1C? Can Vilardi? Byfield probably won't be one sooner than later. That's a big question mark. Doughty is 33 and will be 34 in December. LA's management group has proven to be rather patient in their approach to team building, they're likely not going to trade away their top prospects for Demko to chase some sort of last hurrah cup run. 

Just being in the mix probably has LA's management thrilled but I don't see them mortgaging their future. They're going to need a Doughty replacement sooner than later, Clarke is the RD prospect in their system who projects to have #1-2RD upside. 

LA's got some prime aged talent but it's the youth in the system in Byfield, Clarke, Kaliyev, Andersen, Durzi, ect that'll shape what this team looks like going forward. This Kings group will have to figure out life without Doughty and Kopitar sooner than later and that's no small thing given what both of those players still do for the Kings and what they've meant to the culture. 

All things considered, I reckon LA isn't going to looking to move top prospects, I think they'd be more inclined to move picks or prospects they don't see as A prospects. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Thanks 1

“In terms of those players you mentioned [Pettersson, Hughes, Demko], I mean, they are high elite players in the league. For us, you need something significant in return to even consider moving one of those pieces. They’re still young, a perfect age, and I believe they have a great future in the National Hockey League

Patrick Allvin 

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Lol nailed it .

I almost exploded in my pants reading this "rumor"

https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/report-leaked-offer-from-kings-for-canucks-goalie-thatcher-demko

LAK remain, to me, the obvious landing spot for Demko.

To LAK: Demko + Myers

To VAN: Quick (UFA), Durzi (RHD), one of Vilardi/Fagemo/Grans

Quick would play bulk of games for VAN for remainder of year and not be re-signed. No 1st from LAK because they take on Myers.

Quick's contract is up following this season, so he'd simply be a cap dump for the Kings to fit Demko into their salary cap. If the Canucks can get a capable defenseman like Durzi and a top prospect like Gabe Vilardi in a deal for Demko then it's worth considering, but again I would be hesitant. If I'm the Canucks and the Kings are serious about getting Demko then I'm holding out for the world.

I think the writer of Tweet and the article has hit the bong a bit too hard, but that would be a fantastic deal ... for Vancouver. Resign Quick (if possible) to a "reasonable" contract while developing a goaltender who hopefully is in the pipeline or soon to be in the system via trade or draft. Riding the bong along, adding a pick as well to Van and then would have to consider rethinking the PA/JR are Benning reborn thoughts.

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Seems rather unrealistic.  Can't imagine LA would trade the player they believe is going to replace Doughty.  Not the same player but they think he can be their future D1.

Edited by mll
  • Upvote 1

LA is most certainly not going to cap dump Quick.  That's no way to treat a legacy player after all he's done for their team.  They'll just let him respectfully go to UFA.  

LeBrun doesn't even expect them to make a move for a goalie this TDL.  One of the insiders covering the team thinks they will have a quiet TDL - too inconsistent and no cap space whether this year or for next year. They have too many players under contract next season and need to move some out to make room and find a solution for Petersen.  

Goalies don't really have that kind of high trade value and Demko has been having a particularly bad season.  Demko also hasn't played since December with his injury extending well beyond the predicted 6 weeks. Last summer Seravalli had an executive telling him Vancouver should trade Demko because his injuries are going to catch up to him.  If that's a widespread sentiment not sure there will be much of a return.

It's also not all that evident to add goalies that late in the season.  New goalie coach, new defensive system - goalies aren't just plug and play.   Cf Fleury with Minnesota - took them well into this season to find their rhythm with him in net. 

• Upvote 1