The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks getting calls on Thatcher Demko

We aren’t winning anything except hopefully a lottery or two in the next 4 years he’ll be in his 30 by the time we even resemble competitive team.

id hate to see him get traded but that’s just the reality

the it is what it is era continues. 

On 2/2/2023 at 8:21 PM, aGENT said:

And I'm saying it's not a rebuild if Pettersson is still here. You're literally retooling around Pettersson. Moving the goalie doesn't equate to "starting over". It means you need a goalie.

Interesting article after I wrote my comments.....it seems this author seems to link tradiing Demko with a decision to rebuild vs retool.  This was my perspective.

But I do agree that trading EP would also signify a rebuild.....but a rebuild doesn't have to mean losing EP.

https://nhlrumors.com/nhl-rumors-the-canucks-to-trade-luke-schenn-brock-boeser-and-maybe-thatcher-demko-if-they-got-a-haul/2023/02/05/

5 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Interesting article after I wrote my comments.....it seems this author seems to link tradiing Demko with a decision to rebuild vs retool.  This was my perspective.

But I do agree that trading EP would also signify a rebuild.....but a rebuild doesn't have to mean losing EP.

https://nhlrumors.com/nhl-rumors-the-canucks-to-trade-luke-schenn-brock-boeser-and-maybe-thatcher-demko-if-they-got-a-haul/2023/02/05/

No, but it's likely 

9 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

I definitely agree that trading either or both of Demko and Pettersson would be a rebuild. The Canucks definitely can rebuild around Petey if they trade Demko, but JR and PA are going to have to convince Petey of a very solid plan for him to want to stay.

1 hour ago, Diamonds said:

I definitely agree that trading either or both of Demko and Pettersson would be a rebuild. The Canucks definitely can rebuild around Petey if they trade Demko, but JR and PA are going to have to convince Petey of a very solid plan for him to want to stay.

given his comments on Miller, there's going to have to be a few things go right for Van in the next year to make Petey want to re-up

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, stawns said:

No, but it's likely 

It doesn't matter what they call it, even if they don't rebuild / retool, he may head elsewhere regardless at this rate.  One would hope JR / PA have the foresight to have a new contract in place well before the last TDL.  If we lose EP, we better do it at a time when we get maximum return.  

17 hours ago, Diamonds said:

Petey has $11 million reasons to want to stay in Vancouver.  Don't listen to the noise on CDC, it will distract you from the actual truth...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

There has been a lot of speculation about Canucks goalie Thatcher Demko ahead of the trade deadline. Per sources, at least four teams have called Vancouver asking about Demko's availability -- and the Canucks haven't said no to any of those teams. If Vancouver is serious about a rebuild, it could get a lot of assets for Demko, who is just 27 and under contract for three more years on a team-friendly $5 million per season.

The goalie hasn't played since Dec. 1 because of a lower body injury, and he's about a week and a half away from getting back on the ice. Should he get in a couple of good starts and look like the old, dominant Demko again, that interest would probably increase. So it's a situation to monitor, but not necessarily one that's imminent.

It's not as hot of a goalie market as it was last year, though there will be teams looking for some assurance in net, especially if injuries pop up over the next few weeks. The two veterans most likely to be on the move are Cam Talbotout of Ottawa and James Reimer out of San Jose. The Canes have three NHL goalies, and given the emergence of Pyotr Kochetkov, they might be willing to move pending UFA Antti Raanta should the right offer emerge.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/insider/story/_/id/35600051/nhl-awards-watch-leading-hart-norris-calder

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

There has been a lot of speculation about Canucks goalie Thatcher Demko ahead of the trade deadline. Per sources, at least four teams have called Vancouver asking about Demko's availability -- and the Canucks haven't said no to any of those teams. If Vancouver is serious about a rebuild, it could get a lot of assets for Demko, who is just 27 and under contract for three more years on a team-friendly $5 million per season.

The goalie hasn't played since Dec. 1 because of a lower body injury, and he's about a week and a half away from getting back on the ice. Should he get in a couple of good starts and look like the old, dominant Demko again, that interest would probably increase. So it's a situation to monitor, but not necessarily one that's imminent.

It's not as hot of a goalie market as it was last year, though there will be teams looking for some assurance in net, especially if injuries pop up over the next few weeks. The two veterans most likely to be on the move are Cam Talbotout of Ottawa and James Reimer out of San Jose. The Canes have three NHL goalies, and given the emergence of Pyotr Kochetkov, they might be willing to move pending UFA Antti Raanta should the right offer emerge.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/insider/story/_/id/35600051/nhl-awards-watch-leading-hart-norris-calder

It doesn't cost to play your cards close. PA might be surprised by an offer. What do you get with a Demko + Boeser combo? 

12 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

I missed those comments......now I'm curious!

pettersson, when asked about his relationship with miller, admitted they've had disagreements on the ice in the past but stated that miller is a teammate he respects and enjoys playing with and there is no issue at all going forward. 

@stawns has taken that to mean that pettersson will demand out if miller isn't moved, because that's @stawns.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

On 2/3/2023 at 10:27 AM, Harold Drunken said:

Two reliable backups?

Goalie prospects on the way?

Confused Mark Wahlberg GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

Our backups are AHL goalies, and we have one goalie with promise in our system named Silovs who is anything but a lock to make the big club. This team has no replacements for Demko. I'm all for trading him if an amazing package is offered, but by no means is this franchise in good position to replace him anytime soon.

The Canucks believe they have a replacement for Demko a couple years away. Media and fans just don't see 8.5 and 9.0 beside his name on Dobber so don't think its an option.

If Vancouver trades Demko its because they are seeing interested parties valuing him from what he has shown in the past. His recent injuries and surgery indicate that he very likely cannot physically regain the form he had. But if you are clos to contending and know what he has done and could do maybe you make a play for him.

The suggested rumours involving say a RHD like Sean Durzi, maybe a prospect or young forward like Vilardi, Fagemo you take it and run. The Canucks need a couple of seasons to re-establish themselves, they have Silovs coming and can sign/draft/trade if needed as they re-enter their window to contend.

2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

The Canes have three NHL goalies, and given the emergence of Pyotr Kochetkov, they might be willing to move pending UFA Antti Raanta should the right offer emerge.

Have to think they move the oft-injured Anderson before Raanta...but what do I know?

If anything, they likely keep all 3 this season for playoff/injury depth, with Kochetkov able to be stowed in the minors whenever Anderson's healthy enough to play :lol: Then graduate Kochetkov next season and bring back one of Raanta/Anderson to tandem (or another vet if they feel they can do better elsewhere).

1 hour ago, tas said:

pettersson, when asked about his relationship with miller, admitted they've had disagreements on the ice in the past but stated that miller is a teammate he respects and enjoys playing with and there is no issue at all going forward. 

@stawns has taken that to mean that pettersson will demand out if miller isn't moved, because that's @stawns.

I saw the video interview yesterday ,

it was with E Friedman ,  they’re all on the beach lounging under umbrellas,.  It looks like EP was stalked by Elliott’s and woken up from a nap with a bad hangover..

It was a sloppy interview,  and I don’t think EP was aware what was coming.

14 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

I missed those comments......now I'm curious!

This was what was exactly said.

“I mean, you’ve seen him on the ice,” Pettersson said. “He’s a skillful player… I don’t know if  ’emotional’ is the right word. I mean, he wants to win so bad and sometimes he maybe gets… too ‘hot-headed’… if that’s the right word, but he cares a lot and he just wants to win.”

“We’ve had our differences, maybe in some games, but I mean, he’s a teammate that I respect and yeah, he’s someone I like to play hockey with,” Pettersson added. “Yeah, there’s a lot of speculation, obviously a lot, but he’s a teammate that I respect… it’s not an issue.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

The Canucks believe they have a replacement for Demko a couple years away. Media and fans just don't see 8.5 and 9.0 beside his name on Dobber so don't think its an option.

If Vancouver trades Demko its because they are seeing interested parties valuing him from what he has shown in the past. His recent injuries and surgery indicate that he very likely cannot physically regain the form he had. But if you are clos to contending and know what he has done and could do maybe you make a play for him.

The suggested rumours involving say a RHD like Sean Durzi, maybe a prospect or young forward like Vilardi, Fagemo you take it and run. The Canucks need a couple of seasons to re-establish themselves, they have Silovs coming and can sign/draft/trade if needed as they re-enter their window to contend.

Demko has been doggy doo this year but I have seen Grant Fuhr twice recover from season ending and career threatening injuries to regain top form.  The thing with Demko is he never had a track record and still doesn't.  He was looking like he was kind of trending in the right direction, then walked on water for a handful of games in the bubble playoffs, had one decent year, then one actually good year and now this.

Honestly I was open to selling him high after the Vegas series and just rolling with Markstrom going forward (as opposed to what actually happened and losing Markstrom for nothing).

As it stands I would prefer to hang on to Demko, having lived through the goalie graveyard that effectively lasted from the end of Kirk McLean to the beginning of Roberto Luongo.  But I would be willing to move him if someone offers the moon and the stars.

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

At the very least they aren't shutting down talks and they're listening 

Gonna be an interesting few weeks 

Which any competent GM would do.

These media fail to realize that players names get thrown around all the time and never get traded. Unless a player is truly untouchable a GM wouldn’t be doing their job to not listen.

Media making a story out of nothing once again.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Demko has been doggy doo this year but I have seen Grant Fuhr twice recover from season ending and career threatening injuries to regain top form.  The thing with Demko is he never had a track record and still doesn't.  He was looking like he was kind of trending in the right direction, then walked on water for a handful of games in the bubble playoffs, had one decent year, then one actually good year and now this.

Honestly I was open to selling him high after the Vegas series and just rolling with Markstrom going forward (as opposed to what actually happened and losing Markstrom for nothing).

As it stands I would prefer to hang on to Demko, having lived through the goalie graveyard that effectively lasted from the end of Kirk McLean to the beginning of Roberto Luongo.  But I would be willing to move him if someone offers the moon and the stars.

so you didn't love the Arturs Irbe, Bob Essensa, Petr Skudra, Johan Hedberg, Sean Burke, Dan Cloutier and Co. ?

• Haha 1