The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Bo Horvat to Islanders for Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty, 2023 1st-round draft pick

36 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I'm not sure if people are terrible at maths or just overly keen to dump on Bo since he left, but last time I checked 1+1+1=3. Still $8.5m? Haha!

Personally, I'm not one to dump on Bo, and I sure try to give all of our guys some slack. 

I was just pointing out the fact that it's pretty horrible for an $8.5 mil a year guy. 

I wish Bo the best. 

Edit: And you're right. I missed an assist against Pittsburgh. 

Edited by BarnBurner

14 hours ago, rekker said:

Still early and lots of runway left on this trade. But oh man the early returns are showing this could be one of those trades that help change the direction of a club in a big, big way.

Now we just need a buyer for Brock. Nothing needed in return. Just the cap space.

• Cheers 1

At the end of the day, as painful as it was, maybe management got this one right.

I think Bo is always going to be that 65 to 70 point guy who's a little suspect on defense.

8.5 may have been a bit of a stretch.

But hey, if someone's willing to pay; go get it Bo.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, komodo0921 said:

At the end of the day, as painful as it was, maybe management got this one right.

I think Bo is always going to be that 65 to 70 point guy who's a little suspect on defense.

50-60 point guy that is average on defense and can take faceoffs; 25-35 goals. No way he replicates this season of being 65-70 points again consistently. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, komodo0921 said:

Bang on. People were really hung up on the early results this year on Bo Vs JT despite how they played the previous 3 years - especially the year before when JT put up 99 points to Horvat’s 52.

Bo is a fine player, solid guy, but he doesn’t make his line mates better, struggles defensively, and isn’t particularly physical. He is a solid 60 point 1B centre but he was shooting 24% and there was no way that was sustainable. At 27 he is already mid-prime so I saw it as a hot streak. Bo at 6.5M is fine but not not an 8.5M player. 

This is one of the best trades in Canucks history. I was iffy on the Hronek deal at first but the more I learned the more I realized just how good Hronek is and the impact he should have in our blue line (especially when you look at the impact of Hughes/Bear have in their partners).

So Hronek could have a much larger impact than Bo - plus Beau filling in on the top line and Raty being a very good prospect this is highway robbery 

Edited by canucklehead44
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, komodo0921 said:

It's not a maybe.  They got it right.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

Bang on. People were really hung up on the early results this year on Bo Vs JT despite how they played the previous 3 years - especially the year before when JT put up 99 points to Horvat’s 52.

Bo is a fine player, solid guy, but he doesn’t make his line mates better, struggles defensively, and isn’t particularly physical. He is a solid 60 point 1B centre but he was shooting 24% and there was no way that was sustainable. At 27 he is already mid-prime so I saw it as a hot streak. Bo at 6.5M is fine but not not an 8.5M player. 

This is one of the best trades in Canucks history. I was iffy on the Hronek deal at first but the more I learned the more I realized just how good Hronek is and the impact he should have in our blue line (especially when you look at the impact of Hughes/Bear have in their partners).

So Hronek could have a much larger impact than Bo - plus Beau filling in on the top line and Raty being a very good prospect this is highway robbery 

I agree.  BO may not even hit 70 points this year, and he was on pace for 90 points when he got traded.  So, we basically already saw the best of BO.  He has peaked.  Playing on NYI he will be a 40-50 point centre, he's currently on pace for 38 points since the trade.  If he plays with Barzal he could bump that up to 60 points.  Don't see him getting any more than that on a defensively structured team like NYI.  JR/PA's offer to him in the summer was what he was worth at the time, $5.5 to $6 million.  I don't think he's worth any more than that.  $6.5 million would be on the high side for BO IMO.  He doesn't drive play and he can't get points unless he is with other better play drivers.  His shooting % is down to 8.1% with NYI.  He is not getting those bumper goals anymore on the PP and he is not getting those great scoring chances he had in vancouver when he was allowed to cheat offensively.  BO benefitted most from Boudreau's system.  Miller and Petey acyally have better numbers playing under Tocchet, so we know whe benefitted the most cheating offensively with Boudeau.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Slegr said:

Now we just need a buyer for Brock. Nothing needed in return. Just the cap space.

I’d like to give Brock til next TDL. 
Garland is one I’d move in a heartbeat, only because Hoglander brings the same but more and is on an cheaper deal.

Unless Karlsson or Klim blow the roof off at next TC, we shouldnt be in a rush to unload Boeser if our replacements arent ready. I’d like to see the youth marinate as long as possible so that when they come up its on cheap deals with maximized output

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

I’d like to give Brock til next TDL. 
Garland is one I’d move in a heartbeat, only because Hoglander brings the same but more and is on an cheaper deal.

Unless Karlsson or Klim blow the roof off at next TC, we shouldnt be in a rush to unload Boeser if our replacements arent ready. I’d like to see the youth marinate as long as possible so that when they come up its on cheap deals with maximized output

Totally agree. We need to do a full dumperoo of Garland. Boeser is showing (again) he can drive a line. Boeser with Miller and Mikeyev would be a good line next season.

Kuz, Petey, new Beau

Mik, Miller, Brock

That's a very good top six. The young guys can compete for Garland's minutes. And, like you point out, Hogs would likely win that spot. 

37 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Do they flip Beau at the draft for late 1 round pick? 

I think we keep new Beau unless we can trade him straight across for a bigger body who can play with top players. 

Would we move new Beau for Josh Anderson? Or is Anderson's contract too toxic to touch?

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I think we keep new Beau unless we can trade him straight across for a bigger body who can play with top players. 

Would we move new Beau for Josh Anderson? Or is Anderson's contract too toxic to touch?

No to Anderson. 

Would rather see Podz get an extended look with Kuz and EP instead.  Canucks need cheap ELC contracts coming in to keep the cap down.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, komodo0921 said:

3 hours ago, BarnBurner said:

A hot streak, in a contract year. Funny how that works, eh? 

I wish the best for Bo, but he's not an $8.5 mil a year player. 

To be fair I think Bo had Lu Lam over a barrel. They paid a significant amount to acquire him and Bo and his agent knew they would want to lock him up. It was likely a ‘give me more than what I’ll get on the market or I’ll walk’ situation. 

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Montreal not looking to move Anderson - there's plenty of interest in him per LeBrun and Montreal believe they could get quite the return for him if they ever decide to move him.  Given how long NYI had been trying to move Beauvillier doubt he is of any interest to Montreal.  

25 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

To be fair I think Bo had Lu Lam over a barrel. They paid a significant amount to acquire him and Bo and his agent knew they would want to lock him up. It was likely a ‘give me more than what I’ll get on the market or I’ll walk’ situation. 

Could be, but you don't know for sure. Neither do I. 

Either way, I wish him the best, but I'm glad we didn't commit to that type of overpayment, again.