The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Bo Horvat to Islanders for Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty, 2023 1st-round draft pick

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

That and the complete lack of a cohesive plan is pretty problematic. I've toned down my fandom for some time now, so this isn't earth shattering news to me. It just shows that ownership and management of this team are truly the joke of the league. 

the silver lining for some is that the much espoused "stealth tank" may be in full deployment. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, tas said:

the only offer any of us are aware of is the one that was accepted. doesn't change my feelings on things. if this was the best offer on the table, rather than the one with the most pieces, I guess bo wasn't that coveted after all. 

Exactly.

Bo is good and I'm sure teams would like to have him, but no GM is going to leverage the future on a rental. Not happening. 

What CDC wants and what a GM is offering are two very very different things. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

Just now, R3aL said:

Dont stress I think this is More emotional than pragmatic.

I think we will win this trade when we look back 5-10 years from now.

5-10 months from now it'll look good. It looked good 5-10 seconds after I read it. We weren't keeping Bo, he was a UFA at season's end. We got futures, and a guy that can be off the books after next season. A mid 1st round pick (with the potential to be a lottery pick next year) and Raty for our 9th overall pick 10 years ago is a good return imo.

• Cheers 3

10 minutes ago, EoH said:

I don’t think they were willing to take the chances of teams at the TDL. I would imagine at the TDL we either get low-balled or not even seen Horvat get moved, as well I cringe every time I saw Horvat on the ice and god forbid on the penalty kill with the risk of injury.

However, if teams are desperate… we can still manage dangle Miller. 

Just imagine if in the end we got a better return with Miller than we did with Horvat, now that would be management.

Low balled would be better than this deal, imo 

5 minutes ago, rekker said:

Remember, Bo was a ninth overall pick himself. This isn't a bad deal if the pick pans out and you gotta pay to play. 

How many guys in Horvat’s draft year are captains of their teams and putting up nearly 30 goals? 

If picks pans out? 

We had a young Captain that was putting up numbers that was incredible. 

Come on man. 

• elephant 1

4 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

I have asked before, but can anybody explain what is meant by weaponizing cap space. I honestly don't know. I mean, it sounds tough and decisive and all, but what IS it?

Weaponizing cap space basically means taking on bad contracts in exchange for draft picks and prospects.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Tell me more. 

I never had in my consideration us trading Bo to a team that wouldn’t even make the playoffs. Yet somehow that’s entirely possible.

We knew Bo’s camp didn’t like our latest offer and he wanted to test the market. And he’s earned that right. But if he ended up in say Boston I could see him resigning and being a core piece there for years without ever getting to free agency. Now we secured some assets and have swung the pendulum more likely in the direction of Bo becoming a UFA. Unless the islanders tear it up over the rest of the season which certainly could still happen. 

This is a very rebuild-y type deal, I wonder if management will sell properly now and flip guys like Schenn and Boeser for picks rather than young players. Send the two of them together, Schenn could increase Boeser's value a bit, we could retain 1-2M on Boeser and that's a great package to send to a team like NJD.

• Cheers 1