The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Bo Horvat to Islanders for Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty, 2023 1st-round draft pick

13 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

I’m not sure contending teams have 6 mil to take on Myers as a depth guy.  

Maybe a rebuilding team takes him on for nothing with the idea of selling him at the deadline for assets.  

If that’s the case, I think there’s an argument to be made that we might as well just hang on to him as well, to get a pick or two for him at the deadline.

That pesky bonus keeps getting in the way. 

9 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Petey’s isn’t going to Minnesota.  He doesn’t even know where it is. Has a Swedish superstar ever played in Minnesota before?

Same with Seattle. They are good now, but have an older team. They also already have 2 young centres who are basically their two best prospects/players. 

LA could be an option, but that is like one team out of 32.  At the end of the day, Vancouver is a prime place for Swedish players. Always has been.  And he has the chance to be the face of the franchise and the captain while getting an $11 million contract.  He would follow in the footsteps of Naslund and the Sedins. There is no guarantee that Minnesota, LA or Seattle will be any better in 2-3 years than Vancouver. They aren’t cup contenders. 

I can pretty much guarantee that Petey will be the next captain of the Vancouver Canucks and will get an 11x8 contract extension. He will be the face of the franchise for the next decade. The only way this doesn’t happen is if we win the lottery and draft Connor Bedard. If that were to actually happen then I could see us trading Petey for a Kings ransom and making Bedard the face of this franchise. 

All these players talk about "winning" but let's call a spade a spade. 

Money first, winning second. 

The way things are now, if they absolutely must win before their career ends, they'll sign for a 1 year at a discount rate to a contender when they're in their mid 30s (after they've made their 50+ million) 

The ball is in the Canucks court. Canucks will retain Petterson if they want him badly enough. If they don't want him badly enough, he'll sign somewhere that'll pay more. 

I cant see a situation when Petterson says no here and then signs for a discount elsewhere. 

Only thing we might not get if we have a crappy team without a plan is a discount despite being his current team that drafted him. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Outsiders said:

I remember in the bubble when Myers was averaging what felt like 3 penalties a game. None were actual penalties it was just the fact he was 6'8 and it sucks really because I feel Myers is so soft these days and doesn't touch anyone out there. Half the time he gets outmuscled/overpowered by guys 6 ft. and its hard to blame him because if he touches someone it's a penalty or hit to the head lol

I've mentioned this play before as it sticks out.

Remember during bubble the NHL commentators were praising Tuch and his size and skating ability, controlling the play in the offensive zone?

Myers came back, hit him once and Tuch was gone and eventually traded to Buffalo. ouch.

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

All these players talk about "winning" but let's call a spade a spade. 

Money first, winning second. 

The way things are now, if they absolutely must win before their career ends, they'll sign for a 1 year at a discount rate to a contender when they're in their mid 30s (after they've made their 50+ million) 

The ball is in the Canucks court. Canucks will retain Petterson if they want him badly enough. If they don't want him badly enough, he'll sign somewhere that'll pay more. 

I cant see a situation when Petterson says no here and then signs for a discount elsewhere. 

Only thing we might not get if we have a crappy team without a plan is a discount despite being his current team that drafted him. 

Ovechkin waited 13yrs for a SC.  #Loyalty  #Leadership

I think Pete has those attributes as well.  I also think he is comfortable in Vancouver and enjoys the lifestyle.

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I think Pete has those attributes as well.  I also think he is comfortable in Vancouver and enjoys the lifestyle.

He went from an ELC to a 13 year  $124m contract. 

Again money first... Luckily it worked out for everyone involved because when he signed, he took almost 17% of the teams cap space

13 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

He went from an ELC to a 13 year  $124m contract. 

Again money first... Luckily it worked out for everyone involved because when he signed, he took almost 17% of the teams cap space

Ovi could have gone to another team and received a similar offer.  Crosby wanted to stay in Pitts and signed

a team friendly contract to do so.  He could have got a better deal on another team.  Both are considered

generational franchise players.

Pete is not a generational, but might be a franchise player on many teams.  He will receive an offer from

the Canucks that is comparable to other teams.  Why would he choose another team?

#Loyalty   #Leadership and  #Lifestyle

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Ovi could have gone to another team and received a similar offer.  Crosby wanted to stay in Pitts and signed

a team friendly contract to do so.  He could have got a better deal on another team.  Both are considered

Pete is not a generational, but might be a franchise player on many teams.  He will receive an offer from

the Canucks that is comparable to other teams.  Why would he choose another team?

Yeah what I'm saying is that as long as the city is not a crap hole like Edmonton or Colombus or there's not some sort of an x factor, a team the drafted the player who gives the player a good offer will retain him especially when money is the same. 

We lost Horvat because we lowballed him and refused to give him what he could get in the open market. 

Im saying Ive hardly seen a young guy go to a contending team for less money than his current club. 

Only see it with old guys at the

twilight of their careers. 

3 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Yeah what I'm saying is that as long as the city is not a crap hole like Edmonton or Colombus or there's not some sort of an x factor, a team the drafted the player who gives the player a good offer will retain him especially when money is the same. 

We lost Horvat because we lowballed him and refused to give him what he could get in the open market. 

Im saying Ive hardly seen a young guy go to a contending team for less money than his current club. 

Only see it with old guys at the

twilight of their careers. 

I don't think the Canucks will lowball Pete.  With Bo, they didn't have the $ and likely didn't consider him worth

such a huge contract. 

They will be more prepared for dealing with Pete's agent.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, higgyfan said:

I don't think the Canucks will lowball Pete.  With Bo, they didn't have the $ and likely didn't consider him worth

such a huge contract. 

They will be more prepared for dealing with Pete's agent.

Yes. That's why I think we'll see an 8 year contract with Petey. We'll give him everything he wants. If we don't fluke out on Bedard, Petey is unquestionable 1C for the next decade

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

Must be rough because he only makes 10 million a year (cap hit of 9.5 million). I’d be loyal for that kind of salary as well.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I think that had more to do with superstition than anything else.

14 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

Must be rough because he only makes 10 million a year (cap hit of 9.5 million). I’d be loyal for that kind of salary as well.

$9.5 average over 13yrs.  I would think he could have gone to UFA and receive as good a contract.  He's a

generational player; he deserves the $ he gets.

17 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Those players need to be traded or bought out so that we can take the next step.  Petey and Hughes are the core. They will get paid and they will be the leaders of this team.  Petey is our next captain. He’s not going to leave because he is going to get paid and be a captain in the NHL.  Most teams that are Stanley Cup contenders are capped out, it’s not like they can squeeze Petey onto their roster for $11 million. 

yes i'll agree those players needs to be traded or bought out, but you'll also have to convince EP this won't be a long term retool/rebuild which is going to be hard with all the pieces moving out. by the end of next season EP would have endured close to 200 games of losing in 6 seasons.. that's a lot of losing and probably a lot more with those "retool" going on. good teams will make space for great players. with the cap expected to balloon up 4-5mil after the escrow are paid off it would be a lot easier for a lot of those teams. it was expected to pay off this year but wont. next year is all but guaranteed.

• Upvote 1