The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Bo Horvat to Islanders for Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty, 2023 1st-round draft pick

1 minute ago, JayDangles said:

The only way this management could wrangle a top 4 RHD would be to move Petey or Hughes and high picks. Teams don't give those guys up unless you over pay.

We just don't have the assets to aquire a top 4 D while also trying to rebuild.

Patience. We have now entered the long game. 

I'm sure Bo Horvat, a relatively young two-way 60 goal scoring center could have scored us a top-4 defenceman from some team. Even if it was Edvinsson or Wallinder from Detroit. You can't tell me Bo wouldn't have scored us at the bare minimum a defenceman.

Allvin must have really wanted a 1st which other teams probably weren't giving up, or they probably weren't going to be as high as NYI's. I doubt Stevie Y would be stupid enough to part with a 1st in such a deep draft and that's probably the decider in the end.

Allvin has a brutal drafting history with the Pens too, I'll just leave that there...so what worth that 1st is we'll soon find out.

If this is the case and not even Bo can score us a defenceman via trade, then the only real way to acquire them is to overpay in UFA or draft them ourselves. Therein lies the other problem - we struggle to scout and draft defencemen apart from, well, Edler and Hughes.

1 minute ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Isles fans aren't over the moon. HF Boards thinks we won the trade. Nothing would have been enough for some ppl here

It's actually hilarious how upset some people are. This is a homerun deal for the Nucks! Beauvillier needed a change of scenery, I think he will bounce back, he's only 25 years old. Raty has a MASSIVE ceiling + a 1st in this deep draft... man I love it. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, drdeath said:

To be fair, it's for 30 games of a 60 goal scoring center. I'd be a lot more scared about him not reaching free agency if he was going to a contender but he's gone to a bubble team.

The Canucks have never had a 60 goal scoring center. 

• Like 1

Just now, stawns said:

A top 12 protected pick, a small fwd who doesn't score at $4.1m and a player who dropped from a top 3 spot to the security and round........you think that's a good deal for a guy who is on pace for 50 goals?

Yes, cause I like this draft and I like Raty's potential. And the writing was all over the wall we weren't bringing Horvat back. We got something for someone we didn't want. Re-signing him was never an option. And don't forget, Horvat is a UFA at season's end. He may re-sign, he may not. Either way that effects negotiations. I am guessing you were one of the proposal folks that though we can get Kasper, Edvinsson and an unprotected 1st outta Detroit for our UFA. Just as mad as you are about the trade, Isles fans also aren't super happy. Almost like fans tend to overrate their own player's value. Wild.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Patrik Allvin:

"First of all, we would like to thank Bo Horvat for all that he has done for the Vancouver Canucks during his nine seasons in Vancouver. He has been a great leader and ambassador for our hockey club. As difficult as it is to trade away our captain, we are excited to add a high-quality 25-year-old winger in Anthony Beauvillier, a young centre in Aatu Raty, and a protected first-round draft pick. These pieces will be a big part of our development and growth moving forward."

Press release:

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/canucks-acquire-beauvillier-raty-and-first-round-pick-from-ny-islanders/c-340602546

I'm sorry, I burst out laughing before even clicking on that, just got Red Dwarf robot vibes from Mister Allvin.

Kryten Head Explosion GIF | Gfycat

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Exactly.

Bo is good and I'm sure teams would like to have him, but no GM is going to leverage the future on a rental. Not happening. 

What CDC wants and what a GM is offering are two very very different things. 

so then why didn't the canucks leverage that by allowing teams to talk contract?

• Like 1

Just now, Sharpshooter said:

The Canucks sold arguably the best player for a pittance. 

They bet and hoped the return would equal the loss. 

What a bet!

Might as well go to Vegas and bet it all on Red or Black. 

If that’s the resume of a GM and a President of Hockey, then we’re all hired. 

Going to buy a bottle of cheap whiskey so I can get hurt even more. 

Islanders pick projects to be 13th over all right now. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, DownUndaCanuck said:

Have to agree with everything you've said.

He should have waited on Miller, no need to resign him after a career year when he's not even in his contract year. Could have made the decision this season and sign Bo to a big extension and trade Miller for a prospect + 1st.

Exactly. Why was there an urgency to sign a player who had one good year, way before the pressure was really on to do so, and then the decision to lowball a player who had dedicated his entire NHL career (up to this day) to this team and the fans? 

How people don't see that as poor management, and completely lacking in any kind of character is beyond me. 

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1