The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Bo Horvat to Islanders for Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty, 2023 1st-round draft pick

32 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Don't worry boys I already hit them up and told them they can have Beauvillier for a 1st and bolduc to try and salvage the season still

I never cheer for an athlete to get hurt, it's against my professional code. But Barzal is already hurt, what's done is done. So, while I wish him a speedy and full recovery....YIPPYYYYY.

This is kinda best case scenario for the Canucks right now. We want the pick to fall as far as possible this year. It could be a top 10 pick for us, and if he does slip and the islanders keep it, that's even better! 

An unprotected pick in 2024 from a team like the islanders could be exactly what the doctor ordered to start turning this franchise around.

Edited by Shayster007

Just now, Shayster007 said:

I never cheer for an athlete to get hurt, it's against my moral code. But Barzal is already hurt, what's done is done. So, while I wish him a speedy and full recovery....YIPPYYYYY.

This is kinda best case scenario for the Canucks right now. We want the pick to fall as far as possible this year. It could be a top 10 pick for us, and if he does slip and the islanders keep it, that's even better! 

An unprotected pick in 2024 from a team like the islanders could be exactly what the doctor ordered to start turning this franchise around.

I  could see Lou letting the pick go to is if it's between 10 and 12. He has that option? I'm sure he doesn't want this pick drama going into next season?

34 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Don't worry boys I already hit them up and told them they can have Beauvillier for a 1st and bolduc to try and salvage the season still

Luckily they have another guy they’re paying to be a top line PPG offensive driving/creating center right guys? :bigblush:

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, rekker said:

Going to be tight this year for sure. If I'm betting, looking at the standings, I bet we end up with number 12 pick this year. 

Would be nice but it’s top 12 protected, highest pick we would get this year is 13th. Not that that’s any much of a difference.

1 minute ago, rekker said:

I  could see Lou letting the pick go to is if it's between 10 and 12. He has that option? I'm sure he doesn't want this pick drama going into next season?

From as far as I can tell, he has autonomy of the pick if it's between 1-12 this year. He very well may chose to let us have the 10th this year if it means no potential lotto next year. As much as I want an unprotected next year, I'd be AOK with a pick 10-13 this year. Couple real good players I've started to narrow in on in that range.

2 minutes ago, Bounce000 said:

Would be nice but it’s top 12 protected, highest pick we would get this year is 13th. Not that that’s any much of a difference.

Isles can choose to give up a pick that's higher than 12 at their discretion though if I'm not mistaken 

7 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

If the pick lands top 12, i'm pretty sure Islanders will keep the pick. Meaning we'd really hope Islanders really stink it up in 2024.

I guess pray for a Sorokin injury then.  I think the Islanders are primed to fall, but kinda like the Canucks with a healthy Demko, Sorokin will stop them from falling too far.

20 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Doubt it'll end up being top 5, Isles will likely sell and make other additions in the offseason 

They've got Mayfield, Varlamov, and Parise who'd get interest

Or just give up this season's pick which is fine 

Well hopefully they don't fall too fast. 

Hard for them to sell if they are in the 8th seed and just traded futures to get Horvat. 

Good thing tdl is coming up soon. 

. Tough choices to make for Lou. 

13 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Isles can choose to give up a pick that's higher than 12 at their discretion though if I'm not mistaken 

I think the draft is strong enough that the NYI would take the draft pick this year over next. Their roster is aging and the win now is real. A top #12 pick this year might yield a young roster player for next year. I don't know if the roster can maintain a playoff position next year or not. A full year of Bo but a roster another year older. GM Lou can be a bit of a loose cannon. 

4 minutes ago, mll said:

Imagine if you were a NYI fan right now.  Just traded away 3 pieces (2 major pieces) for Horvat and re-signed him to 8.5m AAV.  Your GM comes out and says it's too much and too long (which means he signed Bo to save face), and now Barzal is out indefinitely.  

• Haha 2

Just now, CanucksJay said:

Well hopefully they don't fall too fast. 

Hard for them to sell if they are in the 8th seed and just traded futures to get Horvat. 

Good thing tdl is coming up soon. 

. Tough choices to make for Lou. 

This Barzal injury is catastrophic.

If Lou Lam was smart, he would realize that the year is done and try to trade Bo to another team. The Islanders are and old team and lost a lot of futures for this run. 

If things crash as suspected, I think Lou Lam will get fired this off season.