The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Bo Horvat to Islanders for Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty, 2023 1st-round draft pick

Just now, McBackup said:

Why the Panthers of all teams?

I liked their logo when I was a kid, still not thrilled they changed it. Also, they were really far away from Vancouver so I felt pretty good about having them as my Eastern conference team. Lol. Luongo has been a fav player of mine for a long time, then Ekblad and Barkov came along. I just never had a reason not to like the team. And I have a soft spot for teams that aren't known for being great.

2 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I liked their logo when I was a kid, still not thrilled they changed it. Also, they were really far away from Vancouver so I felt pretty good about having them as my Eastern conference team. Lol. Luongo has been a fav player of mine for a long time, then Ekblad and Barkov came along. I just never had a reason not to like the team. And I have a soft spot for teams that aren't known for being great.

Fair enough. I still have a soft spot for the Flyers. And the Avalanche because as a kid my thinking was “mountains are cool”.

Though I have to admit once the playoffs start if the Canucks aren’t in it I just start cheering against teams instead of for them based on my hierarchy of dislike.

5 minutes ago, McBackup said:

Fair enough. I still have a soft spot for the Flyers. And the Avalanche because as a kid my thinking was “mountains are cool”.

Though I have to admit once the playoffs start if the Canucks aren’t in it I just start cheering against teams instead of for them based on my hierarchy of dislike.

This is more or less my thoughts as well. If the Canucks aren't there, the more I dislike you, the more I hope the other team wins. Lol. I do lean towards teams that never won though. I like seeing fans that have never gotten a cup get a cup. Except Vegas, they can stew for a few decades.

Horvat's contract is based on his performance up to the day of his signing. He was on pace for 67 goals or something like that at one point. Was on pace for 51 and 36 goals the previous 2 seasons. 28 year old center with that kind of goal production, decent two way game and a 57% faceoff rate? Any team would have paid him 7.5-8million AAV easily. So Islanders paying him 8.5million is not that bad at all. 

Horvat's also part of the class that still signed that 6x6 bridge deal like MacKinnon, Barkov.. This is where they get paid if they had performed previously. All teams will have overpaid contracts. Because all contracts with players starting at aged 27-31 will be overpaid. Unless it's your team's policy to not sign anyone over aged 27, you will have overpaid contracts on your team. 

There are many contracts better than Horvats, but there are also some worse/similar to Horvat's. I'd rather have Horvat over Suzuki (7.8M), Johansen (8M), Couture(8M), Thomas(8.1M)

• Cheers 3

4 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

They have been wildly inconsistent this year, they were on a good heater the last week or so but they were due for a let down. 

It’s crazy to think that they might miss the playoffs with both Malkin and Crosby healthy all year.

Edited by shiznak
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

20 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Why does the " bubble " not count ? was a legitimate NHL season with a Stanley Cup winner recorded. I know it doesn't fit the narrative but the Canucks were in the Playoffs that season and surprised some teams. Horvat was 4th in the entire Playoffs in goals scored and was a clutch scorer that season, that counts. 

Others are free to count it, I don't from a legacy stand point (same goes for Benning).

Why? No fans for one, which is the premise of this topic and there is a good chance they would have dropped out of the top eight if it weren't for the play-in series (not a full season, technically in 9th place on points, and they were not playing well to finish the season). 

Horvat never got the Canucks into a legitimate playoffs as Captain - fair or not he didn't deliver. Not a like or dislike thing with respect to Horvat just a reality of his time here. Hopefully the new leadership group gets the team over the hurdle next year.

• Wat 1

9 minutes ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

Others are free to count it, I don't from a legacy stand point (same goes for Benning).

Why? No fans for one, which is the premise of this topic and there is a good chance they would have dropped out of the top eight if it weren't for the play-in series (not a full season, technically in 9th place on points, and they were not playing well to finish the season). 

Horvat never got the Canucks into a legitimate playoffs as Captain - fair or not he didn't deliver. Not a like or dislike thing with respect to Horvat just a reality of his time here. Hopefully the new leadership group gets the team over the hurdle next year.

Horvat became captain of a team that was heading for the bottom and Benning mismanaged every step. Cant put that on Bo. 
I don’t look at the bubble playoffs as a regular playoff because of the play in rounds that brought in all these non-playoff teams including us. If anything though it was harder because it was a 5 round playoffs instead of 4 so have no issues recognizing TB as champs and if anything the asterisk they deserve is that they won in a more challenging situation than normal. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, .Naslund said:

You respond instantly. By your logic that must mean you’re not just mad but FURIOUS. 

Oh sorry I happened to be on the forums at the time you replied. You’re delayed responses indicate you are slow. Was expecting a reply last night while we were in mid conversation, but I guess it takes you a little while to form a sentence. You sure you work in a psych ward? Or is that what you tell yourself?

17 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Horvat's contract is based on his performance up to the day of his signing. He was on pace for 67 goals or something like that at one point. Was on pace for 51 and 36 goals the previous 2 seasons. 28 year old center with that kind of goal production, decent two way game and a 57% faceoff rate? Any team would have paid him 7.5-8million AAV easily. So Islanders paying him 8.5million is not that bad at all. 

Horvat's also part of the class that still signed that 6x6 bridge deal like MacKinnon, Barkov.. This is where they get paid if they had performed previously. All teams will have overpaid contracts. Because all contracts with players starting at aged 27-31 will be overpaid. Unless it's your team's policy to not sign anyone over aged 27, you will have overpaid contracts on your team. 

There are many contracts better than Horvats, but there are also some worse/similar to Horvat's. I'd rather have Horvat over Suzuki (7.8M), Johansen (8M), Couture(8M), Thomas(8.1M)

Imagine seeing Huberdeau at 55 points then remembering you're locked in at 8 more years at 10.5 now :lol:

Edited by canuck73_3
  • There it is 1

6 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Raty has 10 points in 22 games in Abby. I hope the playoffs he finds another gear.

New team, new system, and new coaches. He's adjusting :ph34r: With that said, it's hard to really gauge a player based on AHL stats. They don't really track them as indepth as NHL, obviously. He has 0 PP goals, for all I know that means he has no PP time. I genuinely have no clue. All I know is he has looked solid in the few games he's played that I watched. But sadly I can't watch the AHL games cause of not a lot of time. Although I wouldn't mind getting an AHL pass for next season. I would like to watch Abby games.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

Management could have delivered better wingers for him and less rotating of them. Epic fail by Benning. Hockey is a team sport, otherwise McDavid would have won 6 cups by now for the Oilers.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

14 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

Management could have delivered better wingers for him and less rotating of them. Epic fail by Benning. Hockey is a team sport, otherwise McDavid would have won 6 cups by now for the Oilers.

Epic fail by Benning? Anyone in his position would have loved to surround his best players with quality support guys yeah but no matter who was at the helm you can only do so much when you have a roster of locked in contracts waiting to come off and that was us for a longggggg time.. that was a MG thing leading up to that but not only did we get a broken locked in roster in 2012 but the "sell the farm" had been used so there was nothing at the farm. 

What a shiteshow to take over, no way in hell would I have taken that on, because not only sell the farm but stupid fans agreeing with it EVEN though that path never got us anywhere.. ever.. close a few times doesn't count for $hit and the rest of the times in between was usually laughable at best. 

Why would I say that? The locked in part was the part that no GM could circumvent contract law but again clued out fans thinking anyone could simply say to the league, screw your rules and laws I'm doing it my way, is dumb as a post.. not including Canada is not the first on the list of players destinations like LA, New York etc. plus good ole Canadian taxes... 

If it were only just that easy...

2 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

New team, new system, and new coaches. He's adjusting :ph34r: With that said, it's hard to really gauge a player based on AHL stats. They don't really track them as indepth as NHL, obviously. He has 0 PP goals, for all I know that means he has no PP time. I genuinely have no clue. All I know is he has looked solid in the few games he's played that I watched. But sadly I can't watch the AHL games cause of not a lot of time. Although I wouldn't mind getting an AHL pass for next season. I would like to watch Abby games.

I find AHL stats really infuriating. The stats are certainly tracked but ye gotta pay large to get them. 

Islanders are happy with Bo. They are winning tonight and, although Bo isn’t putting up any offence, he’s supporting the good offensive players by doing a lot of the “little things”.

Bo “Little Things” Horvat is heading to the playoffs where the little things are even more important. 
Go Bo Go! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Islanders are happy with Bo. They are winning tonight and, although Bo isn’t putting up any offence, he’s supporting the good offensive players by doing a lot of the “little things”.

Bo “Little Things” Horvat is heading to the playoffs where the little things are even more important. 
Go Bo Go! 

I'm happy to see you cheer for Bo instead of attack him.

Gotta give credit where credit is due.

• Cheers 2