The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Bo Horvat to Islanders for Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty, 2023 1st-round draft pick

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If you really think about it, this is a VERY risky trade for the Islanders.  If they miss the playoffs this year and keep the pick, and if BO doesn't re-sign with them, and if they miss the playoffs next year, and if the Canucks win the lottery next year with the Islanders pick, then it's possible the Islanders would have traded Aatu Raty PLUS the #1 overall pick in 2024 for 2 1/2 months of BO...

As much as Raty is a relative unknown, this trade has way more potential to blow up in the Islanders' faces.

There's a reason Islanders' fans are so upset.

Then again, Horvat could have a lot of chemistry with Barzal.

Edited by Nave
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, stawns said:

One more item........they took back $4.1m in salary for one more year which means minimal cap savings in the off season and they also retained on Bo this season, so no cap savings for this year, which they really could have wrapinized at the tdk

- potential to take advantage of LTIR if they want but various other factors at play there

- it will make sense if they move Boeser so we'll see what mgmt has up their sleeve

Hopefully they can free up space and fill the gaps in the lineup for next year because there are obviously some big ones - 2C and 3 top four defenders. UFA, college signings, improved pipeline in Abby, etc. Will be an interesting six months.

Kuz EP Mik

AB XX Miller

Hogs Raty Podz

DJ XX Lazar

Hughes Xx

XX Xx

OEL Bear 

Demko

Martin

• There it is 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Started thinking about this trade from an Islanders fan perspective, and I’m not sure I’d be thrilled if I were a fan.

Looking at where they are in the standings, the average age of their team, and their prospect pool and this a very all or nothing trade.

Sure Bo could be the missing piece. They could make the playoffs and go on a run and then they’re not worried about it.

On the flip side, they miss the playoffs, Bo walks, and they have to give us their 2024 pick unprotected with a team that could very well be worse. Very big risk for them.

Could you imagine us trading Podkolzin and a top 12 protected pick at last years deadline in order to go for it? :blink:

Islanders need to go for it.

They are in their first window with Barzal... players of his quality usually get two chances... and the rest of the team behind him is older.

They are missing scoring... otherwise they are not bad defensively.

If they can bring up their goal output they have a good chance of making the playoffs and potentially going on a run.

Bo should add the scoring they need... he is a proven PP scorer.

And he will be a defensive improvement with what he brings in the faceoff circle and PK.

He gives them a bonafide 2nd line center behind Barzal... double threat which many teams don't have.

I think it makes sense... assuming Bo continues to score... even if he gets 45 goals for the year, i.e. 14 in the 30 games with NYI, that is a big addition.  And the potential he might get 20-25 is something you can't overlook.  Barzal is an awesome passer... and he really opens up the ice and draws D... something Bo would thrive on.

We shall see.

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If you really think about it, this is a VERY risky trade for the Islanders.  If they miss the playoffs this year and keep the pick, and if BO doesn't re-sign with them, and if they miss the playoffs next year, and if the Canucks win the lottery next year with the Islanders pick, then it's possible the Islanders would have traded Aatu Raty PLUS the #1 overall pick in 2024 for 2 1/2 months of BO...

Exactly. We also saved Cap space going forward to address the defence. If it works out to Raty, 1st, Beaulliver and Severson it’s a great move.

• There it is 2

This trade could be a huge win for the organization.

Look at the best circumstances that could happen.

-The 1st is 13-15 where we could get a very good talented forward that slips that far.

Or We get the Isles 2024 and they tank next season because Bo doesn't sign and other things go wrong.

Or we trade this Isles 1st and ours to move up in the top 5 of the draft.

With Raty maybe he develops more than imagined  and he becomes a top line forward you never know it wouldn't be the first time he does have the potential.

These are things ive seen from NHL guys who know his game:

The kid has size, skill, shot, 2way game, a good playmaker, works the boards well, has good balance, good speed and drives to the net we'll.

Then you have Beauvillier who's had almost 20 goals more than once that plays extremely hard with lots of speed, plays a good grinding game with a great forcheck and could really help the horrendous penalty kill and who knows maybe with Petey, Kuzmenko or Miller and a fresh start on a Canadian team this gives him the incentive to take his game to its highest level and he really gels with new coaching and teammates who get the best out of him.

On the Horvat side maybe this season was a complete fluke where everything went his way and now he has a drop off to his previous seasons point totals. Also I'll be honest I've always not liked Bo on the PK it does highlight that he does really struggle defensively.

Also unfortunately Bo can really struggle some shifts because it's always been really tough for Bo when he gets around 30 seconds into a shift when he has next to no speed or juice left at all and struggles immensely basically standing still not being able to do anything we'll because of it.

Anyway I think they did well here and look forward to seeing if some of these very hopeful things I mentioned pan out and very interested to see if Rutherford and Alvin can turn Boeser, Garland into a very good RHD or picks and can get rid of Myers and Pearson without much damage.

Looking at everything that we have in the organization, this deal for Bo and whats possible in the upcoming drafts and via trade I'm very optimistic about the future of the organization and think it's a way more hopeful than it seems.

• Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, AnthonyG said:

Okay now lets lay out a very possible hypothetical scenario here. 

NYI is outside of a playoff position, not by much, BUT 3 less games in hand. They have 4.5 weeks to see if they will be a playoff team or not. Say they go on a skid and lose 3-4 in a row in the next 4 weeks. That will put them 6 possible games behind in a sense because they are 3 ahead now and any streak means more games for teams ahead or close behind to gain ground or further separate themselves. Come late February they will have a choice, if Horvat doesnt have a contract in place, they can now use Horvat as a pending UFA as a rental to any team in the league especially divisional teams who they could use to leverage a much bigger return. How bad is that going to look if they flip Horvat and get a bigger return alllll because we didnt wait a little longer.

Lou wouldn't have done this unless the general framework for the deal was in place already

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AnthonyG said:

Okay now lets lay out a very possible hypothetical scenario here. 

NYI is outside of a playoff position, not by much, BUT 3 less games in hand. They have 4.5 weeks to see if they will be a playoff team or not. Say they go on a skid and lose 3-4 in a row in the next 4 weeks. That will put them 6 possible games behind in a sense because they are 3 ahead now and any streak means more games for teams ahead or close behind to gain ground or further separate themselves. Come late February they will have a choice, if Horvat doesnt have a contract in place, they can now use Horvat as a pending UFA as a rental to any team in the league especially divisional teams who they could use to leverage a much bigger return. How bad is that going to look if they flip Horvat and get a bigger return alllll because we didnt wait a little longer.

Or Bo could get injured in the next couple weeks and then what do the Islanders do?  

• Cheers 1

Just now, HKSR said:

While we wait for the arms race to pickup and the price for Horvat to increase.....

O'Reilly to Avs

Larkin to Boston

Meier to Carolina

Kane to NJ

Tarasenko to Pitt

Then what?

Point is, Horvat isn't the only upgrade for teams out there.  ESPECIALLY if you price him so high nobody can or wants to pay.  I bet management learned that lesson last year with Miller.  Hence the deal happened here 5 weeks before the TDL.

Then the teams who have missed out on those guys will be especially desperate, including the Islanders.  The East is high octane and very very tight.  Anytime that sits back and watches other teams load up will be golfing early.

You think Lou does on the top 12 protected hill if he watches all those teams load up?  Or on the AB hill?

1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

We had a -28 goal differential with Horvat. It's not like we were losing 1 goal games. We got blown out with him, we'll get blown out without him.

I'm not sure what you're arguing. Are you saying we should have kept Horvat cause we were doing bad with him anyway?

15 minutes ago, stawns said:

That's a big if for this year.  Unlikely they'll end up 13-15.

And the top 3 is unreal, top 5 amazing, top 10 great, top 20 is somewhat above average.  

So you should write the organization and tell them to never accept a 1st rounder again unless the other team can guarantee its a top 10 pick.

Hot Shots Idiot GIF

Edited by Harold Drunken
  • Haha 1

Satisfied with the return, those who think that we should have gotten the sun, moon and the stars for Horvat were ignoring the reality we were facing of having Horvat walk or our trade options dry up at the deadline. I wonder now if the Canucks and Islanders were discussing Horvat at last year's draft. We always assumed it was Miller they were talking about, but I have my doubts now. I am surprised how underrated Raty is in this thread.

• Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1