The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Aatu Räty | #27 | C

DSVII

On 6/4/2023 at 11:33 AM, Fred65 said:

Let's hope they recognize he has a future and not do another Forsling on him

Forsling was traded much early on and it ended up being a horrible trade for Vancouver, to say the least. Benning's worst trade by far. At least OEL and Garland are usable. Clendenning was utter trash.

• Cheers 2
  • Wat 1

49 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Forsling was traded much early on and it ended up being a horrible trade for Vancouver, to say the least. Benning's worst trade by far. At least OEL and Garland are usable. Clendenning was utter trash.

I agree I was always a fan of Forsling and trading him at time for a AHL prospect was awful..

I can't wait to spend lots of time at training camp in Victoria..

I feel Raty 20-6'2 - 195 lbs - C - will feel more comfortable and will  be one of the surprises at camp -Future #2--#3 Centre..

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

It was a terrible trade. But Benning's worst? That bar is way too high (or too low, depending on your point of view). What about the OEL trade--certainly the NHL's worst trade of the year when it happened and one of the worst in team history.. 

And I hated the Sutter-Bonino trade with Pittsburgh -- not so much for the exchange of players but Canucks also traded away a second round pick and Clendening (the guy they traded away Forsling for). But the worst part was that Sutter had only a year left on his contract and Benning promptly re-signed the "foundational" Sutter long term at a cap hit that was much too high. (Bonino turned around and was a critical component in two Cups for Pittsburgh.) To me, this trade encapsulated a lot of what was wrong with Benning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, JamesB said:

It was a terrible trade. But Benning's worst? That bar is way too high (or too low, depending on your point of view). What about the OEL trade--certainly the NHL's worst trade of the year when it happened and one of the worst in team history.. 

And I hated the Sutter-Bonino trade with Pittsburgh -- not so much for the exchange of players but Canucks also traded away a second round pick and Clendening (the guy they traded away Forsling for). But the worst part was that Sutter had only a year left on his contract and Benning promptly re-signed the "foundational" Sutter long term at a cap hit that was much too high. (Bonino turned around and was a critical component in two Cups for Pittsburgh.) To me, this trade encapsulated a lot of what was wrong with Benning.

I think you overstated Bonino's importance. Bonino was traded away after one season and he played pretty average to the rest of his career. We don't know why he was traded after one season. Perhaps he asked to be traded.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Page, Text

15 goals and 24 assists for 39 points was not bad at all during Vancouver. However, after the trade, he produced at about the same rate in Pittsburgh. In fact, he is/was a 40 point player (and never exceeded that number again).

The trade was/is a wash for both sides in hindsight. Bonino's playoff numbers during one season give Pittsburgh an edge. On the other hand, the Forsling trade hurt the Canucks in more ways than one. We NEEDED an offensive D man like him. He also tended to score a lot with the Canucks around. And now, we see him skating in the finals.

The Canucks did not sink because of Bonino and/or Sutter.

Edited by Dazzle

Guys, Forsling was 24 when he finally stuck in the NHL. 

In his 23 year old season he only played in the AHL. 

awkward self-assured GIF by South Park

On 6/6/2023 at 9:10 PM, VancouverHabitant said:

Totally.

People talk about the mistake in letting him go, but for years after we could have rectified that mistake by offering a conditional 7th.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

I truly hope they have this kid on a skating program right now...

Vcr have shown some faith in his future, it's up to him. I'm sure he was provided with list of improvements he needs to make. Now it's up to him

Excited about Raty! He needs to develop more and I'm hoping for a big season in Abby. Doesn't matter to me if he doesn't get called up, but there is a chance for sure. 

Like many of us I hope the revamp of the development system in Vancouver has been going successfully and Raty benefits from that in the areas he needs help in. 

On 6/7/2023 at 3:10 AM, VancouverHabitant said:

PA got two of those players 

Johansson and Hirose is in that age. 
So it will be fun to see if Wilds fans talk the same about Johansson.

• Like 2

Really hoping to see Raty take a big step in skating over the summer, along with Bains, and the big club Boeser.

All three of these players have alot of talent and if they focus on improving their skating all can contribute alot to the big club now (Boeser) and in time Raty and Bains. 

Let’s hope the team has given then names of skating coaches they know can improve their strides. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

What are the chances that Aatu comes into camp ready to go and takes the #3 center spot for opening night? With his size and decent face off % I  think we may  see him on opening night. 

• There it is 1

11 hours ago, dpn1 said:

What are the chances that Aatu comes into camp ready to go and takes the #3 center spot for opening night? With his size and decent face off % I  think we may  see him on opening night. 

Only if his skating has improved...

2 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

Only if his skating has improved...

You mean like Hand and Danny’s skating? 
Guys like Raty use their brains to be ahead of the play. He’s a big body who is elite skilled and super smart. If he has the character to compete, then he’s a for sure 2C in the National League 

Judging by his play when he joined the big club and in the AHL playoffs I'd say its slim he is ready for a NHL spot out of camp. 

His skating isn't terrible, but does need some work for sure. He looked a bit lacking still against men in terms of physical engagement and he also didn't really seem up to speed in terms of processing the speed of the game to me.  

That's not to bash the prospect at all tho, he had flashes of brilliance, u can see the IQ is there and the physical attributes are too - I think he will be real good NHL player.  

On projection, i also think there is a chance he makes the team after Xmas for some call-up action depending on injury. I do think he will learn in the A really quickly this year and be a huge star there by Xmas.  You've seen from his past career he tends to take a while to settle into new surroundings and then lights it up.