The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Aatu Räty | #27 | C

DSVII

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

You mean like Hand and Danny’s skating? 
Guys like Raty use their brains to be ahead of the play. He’s a big body who is elite skilled and super smart. If he has the character to compete, then he’s a for sure 2C in the National League 

His skating mechanics are worse than Hank and Danny's at 35 years old. He is possible one of the worst professional skaters that I've ever seen. It looks like his skates are digging into the ground like 2 feet below, stuck in the mud.

4 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

His skating mechanics are worse than Hank and Danny's at 35 years old. He is possible one of the worst professional skaters that I've ever seen. It looks like his skates are digging into the ground like 2 feet below, stuck in the mud.

Totally wrong. Raty skates well enough to be an awesome 2C for us. He will be in the second convertible during our first Cup parade! 
Horvat was a terrible skater. Fast once he got going but slow as an elephant off the mark. 

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Totally wrong. Raty skates well enough to be an awesome 2C for us. He will be in the second convertible during our first Cup parade! 
Horvat was a terrible skater. Fast once he got going but slow as an elephant off the mark. 

Raty has good straight ahead speed but lacks quickness and agility in his skating. 
Horvat was never terrible but did make some big improvements. 

1 minute ago, DrJockitch said:

Raty has good straight ahead speed but lacks quickness and agility in his skating. 
Horvat was never terrible but did make some big improvements. 

Horfat was terrible. No quickness at all. It’s why he cheated the game so much. Raty will soon prove (as has New Beau) to be a better player than the elephant. 

• RoughGame 1

I keep hearing Raty this Raty that but my question is why does a 2nd round pick earn or warrant so much attention. What's special about this kid. It sounds mostly like people jumping on the band wagon but who started it and if he's that good why would the NYI trade him. I'm curious :)

30 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

I keep hearing Raty this Raty that but my question is why does a 2nd round pick earn or warrant so much attention. What's special about this kid. It sounds mostly like people jumping on the band wagon but who started it and if he's that good why would the NYI trade him. I'm curious :)

Well, second round pics are a rarity around here and he is one of our few centre prospects, and in our top 5 of prospects. 
Also we still have a hole at centre ice and he is one of the few who may be able to take it, though likely needs a year or two more of development. 
He was also rated a top prospect the year before his draft but dropped because of his skating so potentially a lot of untapped talent there. 
And, well, this is the Atu Raty thread so what are we supposed to discuss how Alf told us how brilliant the OEL Garland trade was?

Edited by DrJockitch

1 hour ago, 250Integra said:

Hank and Danny were probably the worst skaters in the entire NHL when they entered the league.  Just brutal.  Took them several years to even become NHL calibre.  Raty is well ahead of where they were at.  His straight line skating is actually quite good, he just needs to improve on his edge work and quickness.  Raty has a great shot, is a good playmaker and is quite physical, especially in front of the net.  He is also very good defensively.

I see him as a really good 3C who can move up the lineup as a 2C when needed.  I'm hoping he is in the lineup full time next year and we can move Blueger to 4C, or Aman takes the next step as a full time 4C...

• Cheers 1

59 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Same draft # as Patrice Bergeron. It’s not about where a guy is picked; it’s about what level of player he becomes. 
The fact is we stole Raty for the elephant and he’s going to be great. Accept Benning is no longer our GM. We have smart people again. Smart like Gillis. 

16 hours ago, dpn1 said:

What are the chances that Aatu comes into camp ready to go and takes the #3 center spot for opening night? With his size and decent face off % I  think we may  see him on opening night. 

I do wonder if that‘s why we haven’t gone out and gotten a veteran more proven 3C yet. I would like to go and get a Suter or Stastny type as an insurance policy but if Raty is ready to be a day 1 third line center that would be a huge win for us. 

2 hours ago, Fred65 said:

He was considered a possibility for first overall by some prior to his draft year.

I guess questions about his skating etc put him way back, but there's hype around him from way back when.

Let's hope whatever is actually there can get developed into a real hockey player.

15 minutes ago, Putgolzin said:

He was considered a possibility for first overall by some prior to his draft year.

I guess questions about his skating etc put him way back, but there's hype around him from way back when.

Let's hope whatever is actually there can get developed into a real hockey player.

I just wanted to know a few facts such as which areas he excelled in. Sure He's still young abd  fingers crossed he'll woork out but this excuse he's only 20, there''s tons of 20 yar old out there, we hve a few ourselves but I don't see fans going on and on about them. Right now I suspect Sasson is further ahead as a centre ?

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

I just wanted to know a few facts such as which areas he excelled in. Sure He's still young abd  fingers crossed he'll woork out but this excuse he's only 20, there''s tons of 20 yar old out there, we hve a few ourselves but I don't see fans going on and on about them. Right now I suspect Sasson is further ahead as a centre ?

Sassoon is 3 years older. Raty was drafted in the same spot as Bergeron. Great players come out of round two. Raty is great! Accept that fact and bow to Alf’s empties!!! Kneel too!!!!image.jpeg.35fe925f2811a97437bd6fc88bc80aaa.jpeg

• Haha 2

why would any one care about Sasson age, the club simply needs a quality 3rd line centre.... period if Sasson can do the job great heck if Raty can do the job th same ..... good, Im not hung up on their respetive age. Ditto Rathbone or Hirote

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Alflives said:

You mean like Hand and Danny’s skating? 
Guys like Raty use their brains to be ahead of the play. He’s a big body who is elite skilled and super smart. If he has the character to compete, then he’s a for sure 2C in the National League 

It'll only get you so far. He does need to find another gear this is a reality. 

4 hours ago, Fred65 said:

why would any one care about Sasson age, the club simply needs a quality 3rd line centre.... period if Sasson can do the job great heck if Raty can do the job th same ..... good, Im not hung up on their respetive age. Ditto Rathbone or Hirote

Your right Fred, the player that has the best training camp makes the team, regardless of age.  I don't see either

Raty or Sasson making the team this season.  It will be up to Aman and Tristen Nielson, who are better right now.

In the long run, Raty will likely be the long term NHLer, but he has more development time ahead of him.

• Cheers 1