The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat comments regarding Trade

Rate this topic

*Buzzsaw*

19 minutes ago, combover said:

You think he’d get more…

he had a career year and got paid.
If they had waited and he was playing the way he’s played this season they wouldn’t have given Him 8. If fact i say he’s have been traded too. Which would have been the best for this club. 

he took the safe bet a 8mill retirement contract is what he chose. 

the best offer I saw for horvat was in the 6’s and it was just before they said we gave him our best offer. That’s a crap offer just like the 5 mill offer in the summer. That’s a we don’t want you here offer. 

doesn’t really matter horvat will be winning faceoffs putting up points and playing meaningful games while this club hope to win a lottery for years to come. 
But atleast well have retirement contract crew that chose to be here. 

"As TFP’s Irfaan Gaffar reported last month, the Canucks presented Horvat with a seven-year offer in late-November or early-December. That deal, which is believed to have been worth under $7.5 million per season, was rejected by Horvat"

• Cheers 2

30 minutes ago, combover said:

You think he’d get more…

he had a career year and got paid.
If they had waited and he was playing the way he’s played this season they wouldn’t have given Him 8. If fact i say he’s have been traded too. Which would have been the best for this club. 

he took the safe bet a 8mill retirement contract is what he chose. 

the best offer I saw for horvat was in the 6’s and it was just before they said we gave him our best offer. That’s a crap offer just like the 5 mill offer in the summer. That’s a we don’t want you here offer. 

doesn’t really matter horvat will be winning faceoffs putting up points and playing meaningful games while this club hope to win a lottery for years to come. 
But atleast well have retirement contract crew that chose to be here. 

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this before on CDC, but Miller was a ppg player with us every season since he got here.

He then had an amazing year that could've, and likely would've, seen him get $9m elsewhere, but he specifically said he was happy to leave money on the table to be a Canuck because he liked the potential of what last season showed; he even said that hopefully the money he left on the table can go to others on the team, like Bo. Bo was also offered something in the 7's and he turned it down. In fact, JR even said they couldn't offer him more than what Miller is making - and didn't think he's worth the same or more. And he's right. Miller is a better overall hockey player than Bo. Miller drives every line he's on. Bo needs someone like Miller in order to have the contract year he's having. 

Bo chose money over being a Canuck. It'll be verrrrrry interesting to see if he signs with the Isle, because if he does, then it truly has been about money for him and not about winning. I hope it's the latter. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Bo was offered a contract from what I understand was around the 7.5 mill per year, he turned it down so he chose to leave. There is no way in hell this management group should be giving him anymore than $7.5M. Everyone says how great a captain he is but I simply don't see it. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

Yes we have 2 types of hockey players these days: those that chase Cups(i.e. Iginla,Bourque) and those that chase the money. Unfortunately, most players these days chase the money.

Correct, and the best teams have more of the former than

47 minutes ago, combover said:

Unfortunately, if he signs with NYI, he will be playing on a team similar to the Canucks when he became

a pro.  He needs to become a UFA in July and sign with a real contender.  I hope that's what he does.

I think you underestimate the '23+'24 draft pics and trades made over the next 2 year.  By the '24/'25 season

they might make the playoff, or come very close.

Edited by higgyfan

12 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this before on CDC, but Miller was a ppg player with us every season since he got here.

He then had an amazing year that could've, and likely would've, seen him get $9m elsewhere, but he specifically said he was happy to leave money on the table to be a Canuck because he liked the potential of what last season showed; he even said that hopefully the money he left on the table can go to others on the team, like Bo. Bo was also offered something in the 7's and he turned it down. In fact, JR even said they couldn't offer him more than what Miller is making - and didn't think he's worth the same or more. And he's right. Miller is a better overall hockey player than Bo. Miller drives every line he's on. Bo needs someone like Miller in order to have the contract year he's having. 

Bo chose money over being a Canuck. It'll be verrrrrry interesting to see if he signs with the Isle, because if he does, then it truly has been about money for him and not about winning. I hope it's the latter. 

Ive been shouting for months that Miller was the better player to re-sign.

Neither player's outlier year is replicable. However, Miller actually really wants to be here, and signed a contract that reflects an average of his years here. Bo wants high end 1c money, despite being a relatively one dimensional 2C the past few seasons leading up to this one. There's no way he sustains a 20%+ shooting percentage. Just no chance. 

Miller needs his ice time managed better, and we'll see him perform better than he did this year. 

• Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Ive been shouting for months that Miller was the better player to re-sign.

Neither player's outlier year is replicable. However, Miller actually really wants to be here, and signed a contract that reflects an average of his years here. Bo wants high end 1c money, despite being a relatively one dimensional 2C the past few seasons leading up to this one. There's no way he sustains a 20%+ shooting percentage. Just no chance. 

Miller needs his ice time managed better, and we'll see him perform better than he did this year. 

Even in a down year for Miller, he's still scoring at a .9ppg and 30 goal pace. His only downfall is his lack of hustle and his inability to rein in his attitude when things get tough, but I can only imagine how tough it is when you want to win sooooo badly and you see so many passengers on the team. Of course, he's also optically a passenger when he doesn't have the puck, but I think that's been overblown a little, as everyone needs a scapegoat. 

The thing that's bothered me the most about Horvat is that he only plays hard when he wants to. That's not an on-ice leader, no matter which way you slice it. If we saw bubble Bo during the regular season, we'd likely be a playoff team every year these past few years, as others would follow. Alas, here we are. 

Change is here, and we'll be better for it in the long run.

• RoughGame 2
  • There it is 1

15 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

From the NYI website:

https://www.nhl.com/islanders/news/bo-horvat-is-excited-for-new-beginnings-on-long-island/c-340606812

Notice not a bad word about anyone from the Canucks organization.

But he does say again... "...I thought I'd be a Canuck for life..."

Which tells you it wasn't him who wanted a trade.

There must have been an offer which was significantly under value for him to leave.

Lamoriello also makes it clear he intends to sign Bo... and that he was eager to make the trade before another team could.

https://www.nhl.com/islanders/news/lamoriello-horvat-to-help-islanders-offense-and-power-play/c-340606692

Thing is, neither did the Canucks....they gave him multiple long term offers but all were rejected. He could have been a Canuck for life, but he chose to leave. He chose money over being a Canuck...that's his right obviously but the narrative that Vancouver didn't want him or "wanted" to trade him is false. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

From the NYI website:

https://www.nhl.com/islanders/news/bo-horvat-is-excited-for-new-beginnings-on-long-island/c-340606812

Notice not a bad word about anyone from the Canucks organization.

But he does say again... "...I thought I'd be a Canuck for life..."

Which tells you it wasn't him who wanted a trade.

There must have been an offer which was significantly under value for him to leave.

Lamoriello also makes it clear he intends to sign Bo... and that he was eager to make the trade before another team could.

https://www.nhl.com/islanders/news/lamoriello-horvat-to-help-islanders-offense-and-power-play/c-340606692

Why would there be? Horvat has 9 years of pure vanilla pc answers to questions from the press. 

Horvat may not have "wanted" a trade but it certainly appeared he was willing to walk if he didn't get the money and term he wanted. What I read was he was offered 8 years in the low 7's and was looking for 8 years at 8+. What I find ironic here is many are upset Miller got 8m until 37 and believe it won't age well, yet are upset Horvat was moved when seeking a deal of 8m (or more) that would run until he's 36.

I like Bo, I really do. He's a good player and really likeable guy. I have no problem with this trade though. I do think JR wanted both to sign, If he could only keep one I believe he kept the right one. Time will tell on that.

• Upvote 1

Watching Bo being interviewed, he looks upset, gutted, and I wonder if he regrets his stance on the financial stuff. Or maybe he's pi**ed at his agent for steering him in this direction. It seems as if he really didn't expect VAN to trade him. Now having to uproot his family and move across the continent to play for another struggling team.

Benning would've surely overpaid and re-signed Bo, but this isn't Benning world anymore. 

• RoughGame 2
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

Watching Bo being interviewed, he looks upset, gutted, and I wonder if he regrets his stance on the financial stuff. Or maybe he's pi**ed at his agent for steering him in this direction. It seems as if he really didn't expect VAN to trade him. Now having to uproot his family and move across the continent to play for another struggling team.

Benning would've surely overpaid and re-signed Bo, but this isn't Benning world anymore. 

I wonder if Allvin called Bo’s agent before making the trade and gave Bo a last chance to stay? Likely not, I guess.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I wonder if Allvin called Bo’s agent before making the trade and gave Bo a last chance to stay? Likely not, I guess.  

Allvin and the chipmunk crew are pulling a fast one on FA.

FA said "no rebuild" and "no tank", so President JR goes in front of a microphone and says "retool on the fly"

Then the chipmunks lowball Bo, he declines, so they trade Bo for futures.

When FA says why did you trade Bo, the chipmunks say there was no choice, he was unwilling to re-sign

They get all of this done early, and send mikheyev in for surgery, so we are without our leading scorer and one of our best top-6 forwards, so we tank further in the draft, and give us a better shot at bedard

Always Sunny Reaction GIF

• Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

As for where he ended up in a trade, the ball was definitely in the managements court because they did not allow teams to talk to Bo's agent.  People here don't seem to understand when they complain about not getting enough back because we did not allow other teams to talk to Bo's camp.  If PA/JR allowed that, it would have amounted to Bo getting a NTC and deciding where he wanted to end up.  He could have just told Lou that he was going to go UFA and to sign him would cost more than what they would be willing to pay.

• There it is 1

2 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

As for where he ended up in a trade, the ball was definitely in the managements court because they did not allow teams to talk to Bo's agent.  People here don't seem to understand when they complain about not getting enough back because we did not allow other teams to talk to Bo's camp.  If PA/JR allowed that, it would have amounted to Bo getting a NTC and deciding where he wanted to end up.  He could have just told Lou that he was going to go UFA and to sign him would cost more than what they would be willing to pay.

Yup.  Bo’s agent talks to the team Bo wants to sign with.  Then that doesn’t need to trade for Bo because they know he’s going to pick them July 1.  All other interested teams look elsewhere.  Bo’s value tanks. 

1 hour ago, Baggins said:

Why would there be? Horvat has 9 years of pure vanilla pc answers to questions from the press. 

Horvat may not have "wanted" a trade but it certainly appeared he was willing to walk if he didn't get the money and term he wanted. What I read was he was offered 8 years in the low 7's and was looking for 8 years at 8+. What I find ironic here is many are upset Miller got 8m until 37 and believe it won't age well, yet are upset Horvat was moved when seeking a deal of 8m (or more) that would run until he's 36.

I like Bo, I really do. He's a good player and really likeable guy. I have no problem with this trade though. I do think JR wanted both to sign, If he could only keep one I believe he kept the right one. Time will tell on that.

• Haha 1