The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Islanders re-sign Bo Horvat

1 minute ago, CanuckRookieFan said:

Is that real? 8.5? Soo many questions:

HOW did the Isles GM justify this much money to Bo without a single game?

How did Isles ownership approve this?

Why would BO be that greedy to ask for that much? You don't need that much as a player this reeks of greed.

Why would someone like Bo demand that much money wouldn't that put a giant bullseye on his back with the Isle fans for the rest of his life if he doesn't become a 90 point man?

Like how are people saying "good for him" kinda not good at all rather disgusting.

It’s crazy!! I’ve always felt this way when it comes to this much money…when is enough enough?! There’s enough to live on / set your family up for decades, but have to get that extra few million. 

Again, not knocking Bo in any way, just seems like his agent was being greedy and Bo followed along or wanted to move on. 

No disrespet to Bo, he has been one of my favorite Canucks this last decade but I don't see him as a first line center on a competitive team.

That said, I hope he does well.

Edited by GB5
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Nuckin Kingsly said:

I hear you on the security, but then he would have signed for a million less in Van I think. I know it’s a total of 8 million extra. But could have been a true franchise legend staying here. 

I think it would have happened in the summer. That’s on management. It shouldn’t have gone into the season. But seeing how things turned out this season I’ll take the return we got 

Edited by Devron
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Thank ?God JR/Allvin were smart enough to refuse other clubs to talk contract with Bo before the trade.  No way Lou gives up so much knowing he’s going to have pay Bo 68 million.  

Yep I agree.

They were getting criticized for not allowing negotiations but now it makes sense.

Every other team would have been scared away by that ask. Lou is a stubborn old man who wants his cup at any cost.

• Cheers 2
  • elephant 2

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Onto a new crap team with new crap management! :lol:

Its only fitting, asking for an outrageous contract and actually getting it.

Meanwhile we get rid of him and get 2 other players(Miller,Kuz) at reasonable rates. 

Win/Win for us.

• elephant 1

3 minutes ago, IRR said:

It’s crazy!! I’ve always felt this way when it comes to this much money…when is enough enough?! There’s enough to live on / set your family up for decades, but have to get that extra few million. 

Again, not knocking Bo in any way, just seems like his agent was being greedy and Bo followed along or wanted to move on. 

It is a legacy destroying deal for Bo. But hey, money! He might go down as Scott Gomez 2.0. Who was basically booed into a buyout by Canadians fans.

Edited by MaxVerstappen33
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Neutral said:

This was the right decision by the Canucks, we need to lock up Pettersson long term before we commit another long term deal at 8.5m like Horvat just got, sucks but we have 1 person to mainly blame and that is Benning, but to a lesser degree Alvin could have paid to move a big contract out if they wanted to keep Bo.

Long story short it is over and done with now, but if we could do a do over I am sure we trade JT and sign Bo last off season for a deal that starts with a 7...here we are now with 3 assets for Bo and a signed JT who if not traded this TDL I would think he gets consideration for Captain, especially if him and Tocchet mesh well and get along. Take that heat off EP and give him the C when JT is traded or bought out down the road.

I wouldn’t mind giving up our Islanders 1st round pick to move out bad contracts like OEL+Myers.

Something like Islanders 1st and OEL + Myers to Anaheim or Chicago 

• Wat 5

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Thank ?God JR/Allvin were smart enough to refuse other clubs to talk contract with Bo before the trade.  No way Lou gives up so much knowing he’s going to have pay Bo 68 million.  

5 minutes ago, Darius said:

Bo’s agent had  all the leverage here. “Hey Lou you just gave up a first rounder and your top prospect, my guy will walk in three months- you better do better than your last offer “ 

Absolutely I think this is what happened. 

I agree I think it was the best call in not letting other teams talk to Horvat. That price tag would have driven down his trade value

Lou couldn't afford to let Horvat walk after all the assets given up in the trade along with still being iffy to make the playoffs. Brisson had him by the balls. 

Brisson probably told him to do better (once last chance before he shuts down talk until end of season.) 

Lou is "Lousing" his touch. 

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, BertaNuck said:

Does it tho ……. Both contracts can be garbage at the same time 

One’s been a PPG the last 4 years with a 100pt season. Other a career 50-60 point player on a contract year is getting paid more.

When you think about, Miller’s contract is actually considered below market value.

Edited by Odd.
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1