The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Islanders re-sign Bo Horvat

Love Horvat, will miss him here for sure. A beast at faceoff and playoffs. That being said, he's having a career year, doubt he'll replicate the same stat moving forward. Especially if they continue the downward trend as a team.

Edited by crazycry
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

8 x 8.5 million, I probably would have done that. He's the best 2 way center we've had since Kesler and has already proven that he can find another level in the playoffs.

He’s getting paid for his goal totals which are not sustainable.

A good 60 point two way center is worth around 7 mil. And on an 8 deal should have an even lower cap hit.

This contract will not age well and management was smart to not lock into another win now contract.

• Cheers 3

5 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

If someone told me I could earn 100million in my career but live half of it in a cess pool like NY or earn 90million and live my life and raise a family in Canada/Vancouver, well......it seems like there's something we're not aware of here?  We're the thoughts of playing the next 7-8 years with Miller too much for BoHo or......?

The other thing to consider is it's closer to "home" in relation to family. That's often something that factors in during decision making. I mean, he's a one day drive from his parents now...rather than a cross country flight.

5 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Why do we say this like its fact? 

I get pissed off when he makes an ill advised pass/turnover or when he loses his assignment but I don't think he's a cancer. 

Just an emotional guy who deeply cares about this team and his performance but goes about it the wrong way at times.  Really hoping Tocchet harnesses his energy and makes it productive

Disagree. He's a headcase. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, DSVII said:

They are starved for offense. Their soon-to-be 9 mil franchise center has scored 12 goals this year. Bo is a welcome addition.

I see a lot of Nucks fans panning it, Isles fans seem to generally be happy he's extended, and I'm seeing mixed reactions from the fans of other teams around the league 

We'll see how it plays out, but you get a better view of things when you step outside the CDC fishbowl 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, 6YPE said:

I've been saying for ages that it looked to me like Horvat was the issue, all you have to do is look at the team culture, or lack there of.  Looks like management didn't think he was the guy to lead this team to the holy grail, I'm glad this is over and hopefully they can put together a group that will go through hell and back for each other 

It's going to be interesting what the culture looks like after this all star break. 

I really hope Millsy seizes this moment and step up and do things the right way like playing hard, backcheck, short shifts and defending his teammates. 

If he can do that while putting up 90 pts, it's the best thing that can happen for this team. 

• Like 3
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Mando27 said:

Bo making Draisaitl money...

Draisaitl is up in 2 years. He will want 11-12 million

It is weird how the star players get reasonable deals. And it is always players that are a step below elite that get ridiculous overpays.

This is the biggest X Canuck overpay since Christian Erhoff

• There it is 1

Management did well..   No Way we sign him for that..   not worth it to anyone on the league.

Lou has to check his meds.

The only way I’m MORE surprised about the way this unfolds ,  is if Lou could possibly move him with that contract now.

The fans in Long  Island know hockey .. 

if I was a fan there I’d be going ballistic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

I see a lot of Nucks fans panning it, Isles fans seem to generally be happy he's extended, and I'm seeing mixed reactions from the fans of other teams around the league 

We'll see how it plays out, but you get a better view of things when you step outside the CDC fishbowl 

Part of why they're happy is because the risk of Bo walking in free agency no longer exists. That was a huge worry for them. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

If GMs see the way contracts are headed Millers 8 mil looks like a bargain now.

Doubt they’d have a hard time moving him if they wanted to.

It’s not necessarily the cost but the term. 

It’s a 29 year old albatross soaring above us and when that f**ker comes in for a landing it’s gonna crash and burn us all. 

1 minute ago, CanucksJay said:

It's going to be interesting what the culture looks like after this all star break. 

I really hope Millsy seizes this moment and step up and do things the right way like playing hard, backcheck, short shifts and defending his teammates. 

If he can do that while putting up 90 pts, it's the best thing that can happen for this team. 

As far as culture goes, we definitely know we are getting players willing to play for less money for the betterment of the team AND players willing to contribute to Pack Mentality to complement team comradery. The CHARACTER of the team is finally improving.

1 minute ago, Fanuck said:

If someone told me I could earn 100million in my career but live half of it in a cess pool like NY or earn 90million and live my life and raise a family in Canada/Vancouver, well......it seems like there's something we're not aware of here?  We're the thoughts of playing the next 7-8 years with Miller too much for BoHo or......?

Yeah that’s a good point man, especially considering it’s the only team you’ve played for, your Canadian and your royalty around these parts. Prob will never know.

JT is my favourite nuck, but I was content with us trading him at last years deadline or in the off-season. We signed him to a very reasonable contract. So I supported it because he has that fire that hasn’t been seen much in a Canuck uniform in decades. Bo doesn’t show that, I already see more on ice leadership from Petey. 

I love bo, will always love him and respect the crap outta him for handling the tumultuous media and scrutiny from Vancouver. But I am glad to see him go over Miller and that we got a great haul for him in the trade.

I will say this again, I have not felt this confident in a canucks management since the early Gillis years. They are finally showing their plan a bit more and building a team with character and grit, then can also make the tough trades when it is time to move on from a player. Instead of losing them in UFA

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

Management did well..   No Way we sign him for that..   not worth it to anyone on the league.

Lou has to check his meds.

The only way I’m MORE surprised about the way this unfolds ,  is if Lou could possibly move him with that contract now.

The fans in Long  Island know hockey .. 

if I was a fan there I’d be going ballistic.

This is the same Lou who avoided 2 of the worst contracts in the modern era. He let Scott Gomez and David Clarkson walk from NJ instead of resigning them.

Oh how the mighty have fallen.