The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Islanders re-sign Bo Horvat

3 minutes ago, R3aL said:

It’s not too crazy to think he could score 35-40 goals regularly here in his prime with barzal flanking him.

i don’t think it’ll be anything like a Gomez situation. 

Still frustrating we probably could have signed Bo to 6.75 x 8 or something if we didn’t sign JT first 

So if we “could have signed” to that ,   Why didn’t he?    This is a contract for next season,

as is JT’s.

Bo wanted to play ,  not sign, boost his earnings..  for money.

The Canucks probably would have signed him too for that.   Bo and  His agent were not in a hurry.  
JT was always negotiating.    Bo was not.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, R3aL said:

It’s not too crazy to think he could score 35-40 goals regularly here in his prime with barzal flanking him.

i don’t think it’ll be anything like a Gomez situation. 

Still frustrating we probably could have signed Bo to 6.75 x 8 or something if we didn’t sign JT first 

For me I feel like if this is what management was willing to offer before this season started where Bo became an allstar point per Game Center he’d have signed that contract. From the summer reports they lowballed in the 5 mill range and once the season started they started offering more.

Is that real? 8.5? Soo many questions:

HOW did the Isles GM justify this much money to Bo without a single game?

How did Isles ownership approve this?

Why would BO be that greedy to ask for that much? You don't need that much as a player this reeks of greed.

Why would someone like Bo demand that much money wouldn't that put a giant bullseye on his back with the Isle fans for the rest of his life if he doesn't become a 90 point man?

Like how are people saying "good for him" kinda not good at all rather disgusting.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jack Fig said:

Gotcha. 

I still would have waited it out. A little less jack to wind up in a better place would have been my thinking. He's already spent 9 years of his career largely in a losing situation 

Exactly,  it's one thing to play on a 'meh' team but live in one of the best cities in NA, it's another to play on a 'meh' team and live in a cess pool like NY.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Very interested to see how this pans out. Maybe only a top 9 winger but they still subtracted some scoring as well. This is a team who's at the bottom of goals for and PP... I don't think it's possible for one guy to fix that but you never know with the role he will play 

It's not, Bo lines up with the Barzal timeline more than anything though. Barzal will be 26 in May whereas Horvat will be 28 in April. The Islanders will have to do more going forward, they may even have to reconsider the brand of hockey they're playing. 

Horvat, Barzal, Cizikas, Pulock, and Pelech are the only real long term deals the Isles have. Dobson and Sorokin likely join that group sooner than later. Probably Romanov too. 

They're gonna have to be aggressive in turning some of their forward group over, their D is admittedly pretty solid as is. https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/islanders

They'll be interesting to track.

4 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

To be fair, depending on how the cap goes up, 8.5 million will eventually be the equivalent to a 6 million dollar player in a few years.

And in a few years Bo will not be a 40-50 goal scorer and the Isles will not be contenders (not that they are now).

38 minutes ago, Devron said:

Bo is a family man. Security is important to him. Not just money but also knowing he doesn’t have to move his young family around the continent 

I hear you on the security, but then he would have signed for a million less in Van I think. I know it’s a total of 8 million extra. But could have been a true franchise legend staying here. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

This was the right decision by the Canucks, we need to lock up Pettersson long term before we commit another long term deal at 8.5m like Horvat just got, sucks but we have 1 person to mainly blame and that is Benning, but to a lesser degree Alvin could have paid to move a big contract out if they wanted to keep Bo.

Long story short it is over and done with now, but if we could do a do over I am sure we trade JT and sign Bo last off season for a deal that starts with a 7...here we are now with 3 assets for Bo and a signed JT who if not traded this TDL I would think he gets consideration for Captain, especially if him and Tocchet mesh well and get along. Take that heat off EP and give him the C when JT is traded or bought out down the road.

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

Guessing there's a lot of angry Islanders fans wanting Lou fired. But they don't know Bo yet, and once they do they'll like him. Pressure is now on Horvat to produce.

No way JR/PA were going to give B that deal, and I think I would've been angry if they did. Good trade for both sides really. They got the C now. VAN got the C of the future and a real good prospect coming soon.

That's the thing... I'm not sure if Bo will be able to handle the pressure to produce points year after year that will come with this contract. Especially in a totally different Islanders system. 

I would've HATED if the Canucks signed him to this. 7 x 7.5m was already too much for me.

Bo is a solid, character guy, two way, second or third (on a contender) line centre but I'm glad we made the deal while we could and got something back for an asset. 

....$68million... wow

• Cheers 1
  • elephant 1