The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Islanders re-sign Bo Horvat

3 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Just lost a lot of respect for Bo. Obviously winning isn't important to him. Needed that extra $1m per year, apparently. 

I'm a little bitter and now looking forward to us building while the Isle continue their decline. 

You aren't the only one with this sentiment, the contract value and Bos attitude is sending shockwaves through the NHL not just the CDC.

Edited by CanuckRookieFan
  • elephant 1

2 minutes ago, combover said:

he can be like milker  and collect checks to lose. 

although it Seems like they might have a plan. 

same can’t be said here. 

Yea their plan is to force a team that’s old and not a contender into one.

Not much different than the plan we followed at the end of the Sedin era.

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yep I agree.

They were getting criticized for not allowing negotiations but now it makes sense.

Every other team would have been scared away by that ask. Lou is a stubborn old man who wants his cup at any cost.

Give credit where credit is due. Enough with management can only do wrong. They’ve had wins and losses like most 

• Cheers 2

Just now, CanucksJay said:

Absolutely I think this is what happened. 

I agree I think it was the best call in not letting other teams talk to Horvat. That price tag would have driven down his trade value

Lou couldn't afford to let Horvat walk after all the assets given up in the trade along with still being iffy to make the playoffs. Brisson had him by the balls. 

Brisson probably told him to do better (once last chance before he shuts down talk until end of season.) 

Lou is "Lousing" his touch. 

Yup I agree Jay.  I bet he ended up getting more than what he would have settled with  the Canucks because his agent had all the leverage. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, GB5 said:

I wouldn't go that far.

Canucks are stuck with him for a long time.

At least his contract was justified. Whether it was the right decision or not time will tell. 

But there is no justification for Horvat’s contract. He simply hasn’t earned it.

And I wanted Horvat to stay rather than Miller.

• Upvote 1
  • elephant 1

10 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Yup he got max annual avg (8.5) AND an extra year (8th year) 

Horvat got what he wanted. 

Thank God it wasn't the canucks 

His agent is the man

When Horvat is back down to 25 goals/year in two years, that contract isn't going to look very good. Islander fans will immediately see that he is a very good player and then will come to realize he is not a difference-maker. 

• elephant 1

50 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

He could have got a long term deal anywhere in the offseason though.

I just can’t see it not being about money. 

One possible factor, large or small, is the risk of injury. I can't recall of the top of my head but I am pretty sure there are circumstances where a player bet on themselves only to have a major injury that either killed a "home-run" deal or ended a career. I am sure someone a lot more knowlegeable in stats will provide an example.

Security comes in many flavors.