The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Torture, abuse, and assault as part of hockey culture in junior hockey

Rate this topic

Coconuts

I wasn't really sure what to titled this as I'm admittedly a bit affected by what I just read. If someone else has a more appropriate title for this thread I'm open to altering the title.

Let it be known that the details covered in this article are disturbing. I didn't see a thread for this, the article dropped today. 

https://ici-radio--canada-ca.translate.goog/sports/1955866/hockey-chronique-martin-leclerc-abus-hockey-junior-canada-recours-collectif-cour-superieure?partageApp=rcca_appmobile_appinfo_android&_x_tr_sl=fr&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=fr&_x_tr_pto=wapp

• Thanks 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

That was absolutely disgusting.... What a blatant juxtaposition from those in the pride thread that just yesterday tried to argue that hockey was indeed for everyone. Hockey culture is absolutely vile and needs to change.

That was a disturbing thing to read.

Edited by Shayster007
  • Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • RoughGame 1

Had to stop reading.  Nothing will change at all.

The saddest part about hockey is how the sport that USED to be the working mans game, the blue collar game, the game anyone could play is now a sport for the elite that can afford it and those that can pay can play.  The issue is that those who can pay can also find ways out of almost every possible punishment for these assaults.  We've seen it countless times.  There's a player who has been censured from hockey recently who is part of an ongoing sexual assault investigation who knows full well the other individuals involved as part of a former team canada jrs team and there is exactly one fall guy and 3-4 still playing the game now.

It's honestly beyond disturbing

• Cheers 1
  • Sad 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Had to stop reading.  Nothing will change at all.

The saddest part about hockey is how the sport that USED to be the working mans game, the blue collar game, the game anyone could play is now a sport for the elite that can afford it and those that can pay can play.  The issue is that those who can pay can also find ways out of almost every possible punishment for these assaults.  We've seen it countless times.  There's a player who has been censured from hockey recently who is part of an ongoing sexual assault investigation who knows full well the other individuals involved as part of a former team canada jrs team and there is exactly one fall guy and 3-4 still playing the game now.

It's honestly beyond disturbing

Because equipment and additional training/hockey camps are very expensive. What did you expect? 

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

Bottom line is it needs to be dragged into the light by reporters like this guy and Westhead. But not just them, by others who know about this sort of ongoing stuff. This clearly isn't okay. But when the news breaks we as a society need to apply pressure however we can, this sort of stuff can't just be allowed to fizzle out and go away. Let there be a national inquiry or something. Part of breaking down stigmas involves talking about things, I'm thankful for the brave individuals who've spoken up because experiencing that kind of abuse is absolutely traumatizing and their speaking up shouldn't be taken lightly. 

I hope things can change even somewhat for the better, nobody should have to experience treatment like this. Silence only benefits the abusers and those who enable them. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

That is awful. And it’s crazy because there were adults who could have done something. Instead they were active participants. 

I really hope there can some sort of justice to come out of this. This needs to have more national attention, and there should be a massive inquiry and investigation of every single junior team between 1986-2015 (oldest victim in the lawsuit played in 86, youngest played up until 2014). 

It is unfathomable to me, quite literally mind boggling, that someone feels the need to initiate such acts on another human being as part of some ritualistic process in order to accept them as part of their team.

Edited by Odd.
  • Huggy Bear 3

That stuff has been happening forever.  Even when I was in high school, we had sh*t like that.  If they haven't fixed it by now I am not sure they ever will.  The judge also threw out the class action lawsuit and said they would need to all sue individually, which means they would have to expose who they are.  So not sure many people will come forward as a result.

I would like to see a counselor become mandatory for all CHL teams to crack down on this nonsense.

These players are basically given keys to the city/ celebrity treatment at ages 15-21 with minimal adult guidance. Coach them on consent, post hockey scholarships, drugs/alcohol, general life skills and be able to confidentiality report any team issues.

• Huggy Bear 2

56 minutes ago, Odd. said:

I really hope there can some sort of justice to come out of this. This needs to have more national attention, and there should be a massive inquiry and investigation of every single junior team between 1986-2015 (oldest victim in the lawsuit played in 86, youngest played up until 2014).

Completely agree - but what would one consider justice?  Holding a few 'high profile' individuals accountable?  Bankrupting the CHL and it's member leagues? 

As a parent, I can't even begin to think what I would consider justice if something like this was perpetrated against my children?  In the so called 'real world' people go to jail for many, many years for doing things described in the article - but where do you start since this probably applies to dozens (if not hundreds of teams) and thousands of individuals? 

• Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1

40 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That stuff has been happening forever.  Even when I was in high school, we had sh*t like that.  If they haven't fixed it by now I am not sure they ever will.  The judge also threw out the class action lawsuit and said they would need to all sue individually, which means they would have to expose who they are.  So not sure many people will come forward as a result.

I understand why one would say this, but I fully believe this can be dealt with through education and law/policy.  It won't happen overnight, but to not persistently try to educate those who would potentially participate in this kind of behaviour is unacceptable to me - you don't give up on one of the most vulnerable groups in society (children) simply because it seems like the problem is insurmountable.  You try, and you keep trying until everyone accepts that this is unacceptable.  

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

Certainly disturbing behavior, though hardly limited to 'hockey culture'. Disgusting and abusive initiation rituals have been documented in numerous organizations, (sport, fraternities, military, etc) all equally repellent. I have played and coached hockey for over forty years without witnessing anything remotely resembling the details in that article. Unfortunately, something very similar occured on my high school volleyball team during an out of town tournament. 

• Huggy Bear 1
  • RoughGame 2

It's not just Hockey the same kinds of stuff happened when I used to play rugby, it's also common in American fraternities etc.  It's all pretty sick stuff.  Fortunately I didn't get it too bad they just shaved my head (the shaving of the head wasn't so bad being jumped by 8-10 guys and having them hold you down, not knowing what was about to happen was the bad part)  but others on my team got it worse, It stopped after it happened to me, I think the coaches found out and put a stop to it.  

• Huggy Bear 2

6 minutes ago, thrago said:

It's not just Hockey the same kinds of stuff happened when I used to play rugby, it's also common in American fraternities etc.  It's all pretty sick stuff.  Fortunately I didn't get it too bad they just shaved my head (the shaving of the head wasn't so bad being jumped by 8-10 guys and having them hold you down, not knowing what was about to happen was the bad part)  but others on my team got it worse, It stopped after it happened to me, I think the coaches found out and put a stop to it.  

It's horrible when it happens, no matter the context. But this particular instance is hockey related, and one of just many disgusting things that have recently come out involving junior hockey culture. Hockey culture has a rotten core and needs to change. This is why the hockey is for all initiative the league is currently failing is such a big deal.

I'm sorry that happened to you, no one should be driven out of their sport because of sociopathic behavior.

Edited by Shayster007
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 2

55 minutes ago, PlanB said:

I understand why one would say this, but I fully believe this can be dealt with through education and law/policy.  It won't happen overnight, but to not persistently try to educate those who would potentially participate in this kind of behaviour is unacceptable to me - you don't give up on one of the most vulnerable groups in society (children) simply because it seems like the problem is insurmountable.  You try, and you keep trying until everyone accepts that this is unacceptable.  

These kids are minors.  The only way this sh*t ever stops is if the "adults" in the room stop it.  No amount of education will stop these kids from doing what they do.  Remember, these are kids that are in high school.  The article mentions how the coaches, trainers, etc. knew exactly what was happening and not only did they not stop it from happening but laughed it off.  This was the same when I was in high school.  Nothing seems to have changed in 20+ years. 

The only way to fix this for good is for these adults to get arrested and charged with criminal negligence, or whatever other charges they can get through to Crown Counsel.  The judge throwing out the class action lawsuit is a joke, as now these people will have to come forward individually and force themselves to come out publicly.  A class action lawsuit would have prevented that from happening and would have kept the victim's identity a secret.

Not sure the NHL or any other sports league is going to protect these kids.  Sports is all about the money and these sports leagues will do whatever is necessary to protect their image so they can make their millions for themselves and for the owners of the teams.