The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Anaheim Duck's draft pick Henry Thrun to test Free Agency.

13 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

More opportunities to develop as he won’t be buried in great positional depth.

Pretty sure there is opportunity with the Ducks.

Thrun probably has a few select teams he’d rather sign with (back east…like BOS).

24 minutes ago, Odd. said:

I don’t think he should be entitled to the team that drafted him. Players request trades all the time and teams can uproot a player any time they want to. They are expendable pieces from a business standpoint. Players have earned that right to be able to choose what they want to do with their careers, and part of that is choosing the best place for them.

I don’t think any team should be entitled to any player. Teams should not expect loyalty in return. If a player chooses to show loyalty, then by all means that’s their decision, but players should have the right to choose where they want to play for.

Again, just saying why some players choose to sign with the team that drafted them. They get money sooner, can burn a year off their ELC, and may choose to show loyalty to the team that drafted and supported them.

Someone asked a question, I answered it.

40 minutes ago, Odd. said:

I don’t think he should be entitled to the team that drafted him. Players request trades all the time and teams can uproot a player any time they want to. They are expendable pieces from a business standpoint. Players have earned that right to be able to choose what they want to do with their careers, and part of that is choosing the best place for them.

I don’t think any team should be entitled to any player. Teams should not expect loyalty in return. If a player chooses to show loyalty, then by all means that’s their decision, but players should have the right to choose where they want to play for.

So everyone will choose to sign with New York, San Jose, LA, etc.  

Who in their right mind would sign up to play in Winnipeg?  

I’m sorry, but I can’t stand players that do this! How selfish / entitled can you get?! First, you are extremely lucky to be drafted into to the best league in the world…many don’t even get that opportunity. Second, a team likes you enough to draft you, commits to you, puts faith in you and experts you to be part of their future, then nothing…they’ve lost an asset!! That’s how you re-pay them? What a bunch of spoiled brats!!! They need to figure out a way to put a stop to this. 

12 minutes ago, IRR said:

I’m sorry, but I can’t stand players that do this! How selfish / entitled can you get?! First, you are extremely lucky to be drafted into to the best league in the world…many don’t even get that opportunity. Second, a team likes you enough to draft you, commits to you, puts faith in you and experts you to be part of their future, then nothing…they’ve lost an asset!! That’s how you re-pay them? What a bunch of spoiled brats!!! They need to figure out a way to put a stop to this. 

Or you happen to have worked hard enough to earn your way into the best league in the world…

2 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

I wonder why waiving a "small" signing bonus infront of a kid who is already well off enough to go to Harvard isn't seen as a perk to them? :bigblush:

If a college player stays in school until he’s completed his four years, if he’s a for sure NHL player why wouldn’t he wait a couple months and go to free agency, so he can pick the club where he feels he gets the best chance to play? 

35 minutes ago, IRR said:

Because he can do this and go to a better team. Sort of defeats the purpose of a draft doesn't it?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If a college player stays in school until he’s completed his four years, if he’s a for sure NHL player why wouldn’t he wait a couple months and go to free agency, so he can pick the club where he feels he gets the best chance to play? 

Well from what I gather the perk for the player is he burns a year off his ELC and gets his full signing bonus ( + NHL games? ). Puts him at 2 years till real UFA.

Perk for the team would be he hits that special RFA status Hughes had where you cannot offer sheet him. And of course you get to retain your asset lol