The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Anaheim Duck's draft pick Henry Thrun to test Free Agency.

1 minute ago, D-Money said:

What is the downside of waiting and taking control of the process?

I suppose you could get injured and never even get offered an ELC?

Or you regress terribly and nobody wants to sign you, not even your own draft team?

If you sign early and leave school before UFA you have that ELC in your back pocket at the 'very least', and can bank on that money regardless since the NHL can't simply cut you like other leagues (NFL). 

22 minutes ago, D-Money said:

I’m kind of surprised more players don’t do this. What is the downside of waiting and taking control of the process?

18 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I suppose you could get injured and never even get offered an ELC?

Or you regress terribly and nobody wants to sign you, not even your own draft team?

If you sign early and leave school before UFA you have that ELC in your back pocket at the 'very least', and can bank on that money regardless since the NHL can't simply cut you like other leagues (NFL). 

You can also sign earlier with the team that drafted you, burn a year off your ELC, and get paid bigger money, sooner.

As for Thrum and the Canucks, we should certainly be kicking tires, but Boston/back East seem obvious..

Edited by aGENT

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

You can also sign earlier with the team that drafted you, burn a year off your ELC, and get paid bigger money, sooner.

As for Thrum and the Canucks, we should certainly be giving tires, but Boston/back East seem obvious..

The value of an Ivy League degree helps to offset that though, especially since there's no guarantee he'll make the NHL.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

The value of an Ivy League degree helps to offset that though, especially since there's no guarantee he'll make the NHL.

Sure, just pointing out why not all college players don't just go UFA (beyond showing some appreciation and loyalty in the teams that drafted and supported them).

Edited by aGENT

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Sure, just pointing out why not all college players don't just go UFA (beyond showing some appreciation and loyalty in the teams that drafted and supported them).

That's also fair.  I'd like to see more incentive for signing with the drafting team in the next CBA.  Even something as simple as a 1 way contract vs 2 ways if undrafted UFA would help.

9 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I don’t think he should be entitled to the team that drafted him. Players request trades all the time and teams can uproot a player any time they want to. They are expendable pieces from a business standpoint. Players have earned that right to be able to choose what they want to do with their careers, and part of that is choosing the best place for them.

I don’t think any team should be entitled to any player. Teams should not expect loyalty in return. If a player chooses to show loyalty, then by all means that’s their decision, but players should have the right to choose where they want to play for.

Edited by Odd.