The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Anaheim Duck's draft pick Henry Thrun to test Free Agency.

5 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Zero loyalty too. If he's not going to sign with the Ducks, why would he sign here?

Hmmm, see below.

5 hours ago, Isam said:

Interesting, we got alot of scouts that were originally  from that region.

Ex teammate Jack Rathbone would say we provide lots of opportunity? 

That said, we definitely need a 3rd pair two way LHD.

17 hours ago, BPA said:

Pretty sure there is opportunity with the Ducks.

Thrun probably has a few select teams he’d rather sign with (back east…like BOS).

Of course there is but it might not be his best chances to make the NHL. The Ducks have drafted plenty of good young dmen in the early round for the last 3 or 4 years. In terms of dmen prospects he might be the 4th most valuable dman asset in their system. He’d be our best dman prospect. With that much depth coming up in the system he could get less minutes in a lesser role making it harder to develop and possibly get lost in the shuffle. Not really a concern like that with Vancouver.

6 hours ago, LegionOfDoom said:

This loophole needs to be addressed, a team should have to compensate the ducks for signing this kid in my opinion. But let’s hope he sees the opportunity in Vancouver and lack of prospect pool and picks us 

I think compensation was taken away a few years ago. If I remember the correctly, the Blackhawks drafted Kevin Hayes and ended up with a compensation pick when he signed with the Rags. That’s the last one I can remember off the top of my head (could be misremembering that too).

Edited by Sean Monahan

11 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

I think compensation was taken away a few years ago. If I remember the correctly, the Blackhawks drafted Kevin Hayes and ended up with a compensation pick when he signed with the Rags. That’s the last one I can remember off the top of my head (could be misremembering that too).

There's compensation for 1st rounders that fail to sign with the team that drafted them, but I'm pretty sure that's it.

• Cheers 1

On 2/15/2023 at 4:56 PM, Mustard Tiger said:

I wonder why waiving a "small" signing bonus infront of a kid who is already well off enough to go to Harvard isn't seen as a perk to them? :bigblush:

That is actually a mistaken impression of Harvard.  They have such an alumni pool that their financial aid is probably the best in the world.  Tuition and campus living fees are massively subsidized depending on the means of the parents.  Most students pay the same or less than their local schools. 

It is just wicked hard to get into…

On 2/15/2023 at 2:13 PM, Ghostsof1915 said:

Zero loyalty too. If he's not going to sign with the Ducks, why would he sign here?

Look at their D prospect pool, then look at ours.  He is going to get far more opportunity here, which means more $ after his ELC if he is good enough.

On 2/15/2023 at 3:28 PM, King Heffy said:

That's also fair.  I'd like to see more incentive for signing with the drafting team in the next CBA.  Even something as simple as a 1 way contract vs 2 ways if undrafted UFA would help.

Once they leave college, they should remain property of the team that drafted them for the length of an elc, three years.

2 hours ago, stawns said:

Once they leave college, they should remain property of the team that drafted them for the length of an elc, three years.

ELC aren’t always 3 years. If they sign later it could be two. It goes by age of player.  An example being Kuz was an older rookie and got 1 year ELC.   I think past 21/22 years of age  it becomes 2 years. 

• There it is 1

4 hours ago, stawns said:

If a team is knowingly and willing to risk losing that pick, which they often do,   Then that is fair.

What your doing there Stawnzy is forcing the issue..   Which is also fair,

… and I think a player would / should decline being drafted to the NHL, and approach any work in the NHL as a free agent after his college tenure.

That is fair,  and fair to the NHL clubs.

Teams never really offer any support or extra training for NCAA players,  it’s usually absorbed in the College they play.

Skates / sticks / pads / ice / per dium/ training/ medical and education are from the College.

The only thing teams offer are a watchful eye, and summer camps.

It hard enough that a lot of young hockey players realizing their own dreams,  play in front of fans from  16 -21 yr olds for nothing but to chase a dream..  

It continues in the WHL , CHL, playing for skates, while paying crowds fill the rink .

A player plays for a bed,  far away from home, meals and ice time and gear.

NCAA , at least there is a chance of a paid education. 
In the WHL/ CHL ,  that education is only a scholarship,  whose money /education is  based on time /years performed,  and only claimed / collected if you make the educational criteria , and do go..  many do not go.

Many , and close to all of them don’t have the time to hold a part time job to put spending money in their pockets.

Im happy for these lads who take control of their lives, educate themselves well, and are willing to offer themselves as a free agent to any team they feel comfortable going to.

Getting to that point has been roughly 10 years of playing hockey for others to make money from their hard work.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Cheers 1