The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Predators trade Tanner Jeannot to Lightning for Cal Foote, 2025 1st-round pick, 2024 2nd-round pick, 2023 3rd-round pick, 2023 4th-round pick, 2023 5th-round pick

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Lol what?

Why would we trade Kuzmenko? And why will his value suddenly disappear?

Every players value has been disapearing once they sign the extension. Jeannot was one of the only players TB could target based on their cap situation so they had to overpay, imagine what Kuz would have gotten (although he will be UFA). His value was an alltime high for contenders without having to figure him into the fold next year.

With that said, I was never on the trade Kuz train and am still not, although if we could have gottten multiple 1sts for him I would have had a hard time saying no (although to TB it would have been very delayed picks so probably not worth it).

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

This is what I’m looking at.

When all is said and done they’ll be lucky to get one player out of that “haul”.

This is quantity and sure the more picks the more chances you have but the odds on those picks are not good.

I agree 100 percent..Looks like a haul but late picks.. Tampa has a small window 2-3 years and NJ Devils - NYR  will be top 2 teams in east..

Boston will have 1--2 year window - Marchand 35 May ----Bergeron 37 -- Krejci 37 April --

• Cheers 3

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Lol what?

Why would we trade Kuzmenko? And why will his value suddenly disappear?

Well would you rather have gotten what Nashville got (or more likely, a better package) + whatever we would have done with the $5.5m in cap space the next two years, or would you rather have Kuzmenko? To me, the answer is pretty clearly the former, especially considering the fact that we're likely not going to be competitive next year.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'm sure Petey doesn't see it that way 

You can't do things just to keep individual players happy. Look what happened when Linden refused to rebuild during 2015-2018 because it would be "unfair" to the Sedin's.

Edited by dougieL
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

When you consider jeannot’s history other than last year I’m not sure he is much more than a gritty 20-25 point guy.   Is he a top pk guy?

Covid years messed with his progression,  he is 25 , with only 2 full nhl seasons .

Power forwards usually develop into their “prowess” years at 27 / 28 / 29.

I think he would have looked good here, he played well against us a few nights ago.

Thats a lot of Second day of drafting gone for him..  even we could have spun that..  

1 hour ago, Odd. said:

Why does that look like a better Return than Horvat 

It's absolutely nuts.

CDC going on about Foote for months and he ends up being a throw in on top of an entire draft class. 

This trade is an absolute masterclass by the Preds goddamn. 

• Tanks a lot 3

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I’d rather have Kuzmenko.

People are falling for the shiny new picks. You’d be lucky to get one player close to Kuz out of those picks. They’re all lotto tickets.

Kuzmenko will have just as much if not more value in a couple years if he keeps playing at the pace he is.

Isn't Kuzmenko also a shiny new toy? I doubt he can sustain his high shooting percentage next year. And even if he keeps it up - so what? We're not competitive next year anyway. And if we're in a position to trade him in 2 years, that means we're not competitive that year either. If that's the case, why not just trade him now when his cost is $850k instead of 2 years later when his cost is $5.5m?

And you're forgetting about the value of cap space. Either we sign someone for $5.5m, or we use that to take on bad money for picks. Remember that $6m gets you a pick in maybe the mid-20's. We gave up huge value by signing Kuzmenko instead of trading him.

• Haha 3
  • Wat 2