The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Jonathan Quick, conditional 2023 1st-round pick, 2024 3rd-round pick to Blue Jackets for Vladislav Gavrikov, Jonas Korpisalo

Kind of a ruthless move by Blake but Korpisalo’s save % is a huge upgrade on what the Kings were getting.

I’m also not sure what kind of time the Kings have, as Kopitar, Doughty and even Danault aren’t spring chickens. 

It makes sense.

and we were never really seriously considering moving Demko.  I don’t believe it.

• Cheers 3
  • There it is 1

18 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

To trade within the division it would have to be an A+ prospect otherwise where’s the motivation?

Id rather a package of Pickering, Blomqvist, and a 1st from Pittsburgh. I think that fits our needs better.

Depends on what else they're willing to give up. Like I said, take Byfield and Clarke off the table and see what else they've got. We could be better off getting multiple pieces in return.

I'd be open to something around Petersen, Durzi+ for example. If they think Clarke can make the jump next season maybe there's something there. Petersen would give us a stopgap, Durzi would give us a top 4D. Say we get a 2nd too, I'm just spitballing here. 

Losing Durzi would suck for them but it's gotta hurt somewhere. Clarke projects as their Doughty replacement, Byfield is likely their best chance at getting someone to eventually fill that Kopitar void. Would they give up a top 4D+ for a younger starting tender with term attached? Maybe. 

I'm not convinced we're looking to move Demko though so it's really neither here nor there. 

Edited by Coconuts

Just now, Coconuts said:

Depends on what else they're willing to give up. Like I said, take Byfield and Clarke off the table and see what else they've got. We could be better off getting multiple pieces in return.

I'd be open to something around Petersen, Durzi+ for example. If they think Clarke can make the jump next season maybe there's something there. Petersen would give us a stopgap, Durzi would give us a top 4D. Say we get a 2nd too, I'm just spitballing here. 

Losing Durzi would suck for them but it's gotta hurt somewhere. Clarke projects as their Doughty replacement, Byfield is likely their best chance at getting someone to eventually fill that Kopitar void. Would they give up a top 4D+ for a younger starting tender with term attached? Maybe. 

Not sure Durzi would be the D for Vancouver.  Gifted offensively but mostly a liability defensively.  LA can have a D like him because as a whole they are extremely strong defensively but Vancouver probably can't yet. 

Quick's last game he was pulled after allowing 3 goals on 7 shots vs NYR. 

Goaltending has been brutal this season for LA.  Sportlogiq had them receiving 40 saves less than expected at the 49 game mark - ie allowing over 0.8 goals more per game than average goaltending would have allowed per their model.  That was by far the worst mark in the league.  Calgary and Edmonton were 2nd and 3rd last at that point of the season with 14 goals allowed more than expected - ie a 26 goal differential to LA.

LA is one of the strongest defensive teams and would likely be further along with just average goaltending.  Last week they were ranked 29th in quality starts where they only received expected goaltending or better in less than 30% of their games per Sportlogiq.

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, R3aL said:

Was niemi? Never know in playoffs 

I still think korpisalo has the tools and LA defensive metrics are great they done need a hero goalie and if they add gavirkov too 

Korpisalo will be a very good goalie for LA.. Great trade for LA Kings they will finish 1st now..

1. LA  2. Oilers. 3.Vegas

Kings addressed their biggest weakness. Good trade for them. Add in another defender and a salary dump, not a bad price to pay for just a first. Not sure why the Blue Jackets gave up on their star goalie, they look like they are rebuilding to the studs. JG has got to be wondering about his decision. 

Kings - A 

Blue Jackets - B-

7 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Depends on what you consider significant I suppose, goaltenders haven't historically brought in hauls and I'm not expecting that to change regarding Demko

More like Peterson, Grans+ 

The Canucks are in desperate need of more Petersons. The more the better 

• elephant 1

6 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

Kind of a ruthless move by Blake but Korpisalo’s save % is a huge upgrade on what the Kings were getting.

I’m also not sure what kind of time the Kings have, as Kopitar, Doughty and even Danault aren’t spring chickens

It makes sense.

and we were never really seriously considering moving Demko.  I don’t believe it.

They have plenty of time as a team, just not for some of the older guys.  Team average age is 26.8 (not far off us at 26.0).  Most of the core stuck through the rebuild phase and actually helped accelerate the process.  Thanks to Quick, they returned to the playoffs last year way ahead of schedule.  They have no reason to go all in this year and are content filling in their core as the young players improve and the last of that cup core gets phased out.  With Brown and Quick gone, it's only Doughty and Kopitar left - who by the way, are still very effective players.

1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

29 year old Miller signed 7 year contract 8M per and currently has 20 goals 34 assists 54 points

29 year old Gaudreau 7 year contract 9.75M per and currently has 

15 goals, 39 assists 54 points 

Just Saying Come On GIF by A Little Late With Lilly Singh

And I expect little Johnny to fall off a cliff in the next 2 years max. Brutal contact for the blue jackets. The reality is the team became worse when he got there haha.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, DeNiro said:

To trade within the division it would have to be an A+ prospect otherwise where’s the motivation?

Id rather a package of Pickering, Blomqvist, and a 1st from Pittsburgh. I think that fits our needs better.

If you look at goalie value in trades when have they ever received What some of you are suggesting the canucks should get?

And that's not even counting the horrific numbers he has this year. 

9 hours ago, McBackup said:

Will Quick get a statue a la Dustin Brown?

Brown, Gretzky, Robitaille. One of these is not like the other.

If they got a statue for Quick or Doughty or Kopitar, it would be a different story. All three of these guys have strong potential to enter the hall of fame. Brown on the other hand...

It's like, if we won the cup in 2011, they erect a statue for Burrows. Like WTF???