The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

2 minutes ago, fanofvan said:

Is your point of view not that ripping it apart and gaining draft picks is the way to success?

I'm more in the keep the 1st round picks you have and build a team properly camp.

Imagine a bottom tier team trading a 1st for a win now piece.

It's absurd.

1 minute ago, luckylager said:

Is making the playoffs really the goal?

Can't endure two hard years before making these types of moves?

At least *some people will still buy tickets

The cup is the goal,but getting playoff experience makes the group better going forward.

17 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I also am new at this.  tell me which offensive D will play PP1 over potential Norris nominee Hughes?

I also would argue that we didn't need an ehrhoff light, we needed a Mitchell.  Again it's ok to like the player it is also questionable as to the timing.  It feels very knee jerk and at a bad time.

Isn’t Hronek supposed to take over PP2? 

6 minutes ago, Doxm said:

I'm very confident that we see Myers traded after his bonus is paid + an OEL buyout. 

Fix the D via a few options...

Livingstone signing 

D Petey coming in

Boeser for a D 

Graves/Severson/Schenn

We cannot carry that much dead money for 8 years, period.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ilduce39 said:

and I’m sometimes known as F Aqualini… no that’s too obvious.  Francesco A you can call me.

Buy my blueberries!  Rent my condos!  We’ll never rebuild! Bahaahahaha

I love blueberries.  I eat them every day.  The best blueberry farms are in Pitt Meadows.

Also, pure blueberry juice is very healthy for you.  The one with no added sugar.  I would highly recommend to drink every day.  

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, luckylager said:

About the Oilers being mismanaged for over a decade? Yes.

Look at our last decade 

2012-15 they tried to get it back, hard to fault them after to getting to game 7 and how do you "rebuild" when your key pieces only give you 1-2 options for a deal?

After a couple misses (though OJ was injury related) they got their man in Petey and thats when the "rebuild" started.  Since then they've managed to put together a pretty good young core of players........it's now a matter of supporting them properly.

Why would they to go back to the beginning of that process?  Or do you not think Petey, Hughes and Demko can be successful in Van?

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, awalk said:

I keep seeing this "he's young" narrative but he's not... that young... and he's due for a raise next year. It's a short term move, meant to get this team into the playoffs next year. This isn't some 22 year old.

Great idea, getting back into the playoffs. Hopefully this management group can do it, last group tried similar and failed big time.

He’s reasonably young. Not many 22 year defencemen have solidified themselves out there. They are usually projects or too good to be traded. Not to mention we’d be lucky to get a 29 year old through Free Agency and we’d over pay of course. So for those reasons I like this move. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, stawns said:

They cannot buyout OEL this year, it's beyond stupid, especially when they aren't going to compete next year anyway.  

I agree, but theres very likely a contingency plan for accommodating OEL. We’re just not privy to it yet. 

After a few hours of letting this trade sink in, i am still very upset because of the timing and the price we paid in a deep draft. Sens paid an extra second rounder for Chychrun who has longer term remaining in his contract. Sure he's an UFA and a LHD, but he's a better overall defenseman. How does Dorion pull that off while Allvin does this?  

I can live with it if they can't move some of the bad contracts by deadline, but I can't accept that they made this trade at this time. If we kept those draft picks we can at least replenish our prospect pool, which is still very shallow even with the addition of Raty. Instead we continue to go backwards and spend our draft picks like candies. Why does the Canucks management continue to make puzzling moves?

Is there a way we can petition to stop this non sense? We really need management to listen and accept fans are not as dumb as they think and that we are ready for a proper rebuild. I'm almost at a point where i don't even care if we need to trade Petterson to call it a rebuild....

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, luckylager said:

I'm more in the keep the 1st round picks you have and build a team properly camp.

Imagine a bottom tier team trading a 1st for a win now piece.

It's absurd.

At 25 I’d say Hronek is more of a long term addition, not simply a win now acquisition. If the Canucks had only 1 1st this year I might be a bit miffed but they kept the better pick, which is more of a lock to be an impact player.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, fanofvan said:

He’s a year older than Pettersson, 2 years older than Hughes, and 2 years younger than Demko, who Rutherford and Allvin have identified as the “core”.  I’d say he fits in nicely with that core.  Hopefully Podkolzin, Hoglander, Raty, Karlsson, Klimovich, Rathbone, Jurmo, McDonough, Lekkerimaki, and Johansson can start getting folded in to the mix to supplement the team.

And if he works out, they can sign him to a max term deal without much worry of him falling off.  

• Cheers 1