The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

The 2nd round pick is what kills me most.

I’m somewhat okay trading the Isles pick for a D man, in fact I would have been surprised if they didn’t.

I really wish that 2nd was a 2024 pick. This years is gonna be an early 2nd and I know we’re gonna be kicking ourselves in a few years when we see who was selected there.

The silver lining is they got a 4th, so its technically moving back. The bad news is that still really sucks. So I agree.

Perhaps other teams were in on Hronek & driving the price up a bit. Would've been great if they could've held it firm at a 3rd, although fingers crossed another deal happens that could recoup a 2nd. 

• Cheers 1

If we were starting from scratch this is a good deal... as a piece to somehow improve this defence, it is a bad deal.  We aren't competing next year, and will have to pay this guy a big raise at the same time we owe Petterson one.

We could have used that cap space now and done this deal in the summer when we knew better what the NYI pick was going to be.  It makes us incrementally better as he is better than Bear, but we are too far from being competitive to have incremental improvements do anything.  We need the major surgery that was promised.  It is also a little strange that the Red Wings who are in the exact same rebuilding phase were happy to let him go.

If we had a defence of:

Hughes-Paryko
Graves-Hronek
Schenn-Bear

... that is a good fit.  We have no way to get rid of both OEL and Myers easily for next year without destroying our future, so this makes little sense as we can't make pairings work

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Mando27 said:

It's sad and hilarious seeing some people defend this trade. Trades like this have never worked out for the Canucks and keep pushing them into more years of mediocrity.

When was the last trade they made like this?

26 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

What are ya thinking?

We change our avatars.  I already made this bet but I will do it with you as well.  If OEL gets bought out then you need to change your avatar to Petey is a God for a month.  If he is still on the team next year I will change my avatar to an OEL pic for a month.  If he gets put on LTIR the bet is off...

• Cheers 1

Well, this trade will ultimately be judged in terms of how good Hronek is. He better be damn good is all I can say or else this has the makings of yet another sad sack development of a largely sad sack hockey franchise. 

Now, off to watch some YouTube clips of Hronek in the hopes that it cheers me up.

People are looking at his points and not realizing that Hronek does nothing to address the fact that we need defenseman that can play defense more than anything. Hronek is not a strong defender. He’s the kind of guy you add to man your powerplay if you have no offense coming out of the back end like Barrie or Krug. He’s not someone a team who has Quinn fukcing Hughes should be paying a 1st and 2nd for. Absolutely pathetic trade.

7 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

I would say management's understanding of the fanbase is misguided.  They did say they were going for a re-tool this year, and fans weren't happy to be hearing that word again.

I'm okay with being wrong three years from now - but this is indeed to wrong approach to take.

Aside from potential Aquilini-Rutherford puppet theories, this approach is being taken because this team now revolves around Pettersson and Hughes.

Drafting a bunch of RHD in this year's draft class requires 2-3 years to be ready for the NHL and then probably another 1-2 to become effective NHL'ers - assuming they even pan out. 

If everything goes well, Pettersson and Hughes will be pushing 30 by then and Miller/OEL will be past their primes. 

I understand the team is in shambles and we're in no position to compete, but how long are we going to take rebuild when Pettersson and Hughes are already in their prime?

Edited by KoreanHockeyFan

1 minute ago, sxqhfeh said:

Bo/2nd
for
Raty/Beauvillier/Hronek/4th

good?

i feel this was a great trade but of coarse canuck fans always debby downers on most trades even if they good, flip has a good contract, is young and a defenceman , i feel this is a great move for now and the future

The real frustrating thing about this is that it seemed the Canucks were truly recognizing the reality of their situation and how far away they are from being a true Cup contender and were making decent moves for the future of the organization the correct way, via the draft.  And then they turn around and trade two very good picks.  Ouch.   I mean I hope Hronek ends up being great but this doesn't seem the right move at this moment at all.

• elephant 1

2 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

Heck one dirty look from that third pairing would make most players back the F off in a hurry! Can see Train (literally) lifting guys out of the crease and throwing them..

You better believe it.  The change in the D is coming.  This was the first domino to fall.  Expect alot more to come.  3-4 new Dmen at minimum.  And some big nasty ones too...

• Thanks 1