The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

Just now, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Sorry, but that was never the plan to begin with. 

Again, I don't know why a lot of you are acting as if management is deviating from their original approach.

Rutherford EXPLITCITLY said they were targeting 23-25 age players. This was the "major surgery." 

We don't agree with the plan. Not we don't understand the plan. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Sorry, but that was never the plan to begin with. 

Again, I don't know why a lot of you are acting as if management is deviating from their original approach.

Rutherford EXPLITCITLY said they were targeting 23-25 age players. This was the "major surgery." 

Hand-puppet GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, 24K PureCool said:

We don't agree with the plan. Not we don't understand the plan. 

Like I said in my post a few pages back.

I'm just as nervous as you guys are, but you'll feel less frustrated if you just accept the fact that rebuilding through the draft was never the plan. 

From management's POV - they don't want to wait for 18 year old prospects to develop while Petey and Hughes push 30 at the end of their prime. 

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, tkanuk said:

If you truly want a rebuild, then you probably need to trade Demko, and one of Hughes or Pettersson. Which one do you choose?

Not once has this FO said they wanted a rebuild.  We have 2 corner stone pieces to build around and some really good complimentary players now.  We got younger and addressed some gaping holes.  The future is looking better than it did 2 weeks ago.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Bissurnette said:

I was replying to the poster who said I never watched him play.

Feel free to offer your synopsis if you think I'm wrong about his play style and skillset.

I literally just watched him in Edmonton I didn’t see anything alarming in his play, I know he has improved quite a bit defensively from earlier in his career. 

11 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

As it stands now we’re over the cap next year with us still needing to fill a bunch of roster spots. Teams are gonna look at that and try to take advantage. 

Whatever route we go to clear cap it will be costly.

Yup, they've painted themselves into a corner alright.  Any return they were hoping for from a Boeser/miller trade is now out the window 

Miller straight up for Kotkaniemi is now realistic

• Cheers 1

First post here because I just can no longer hold my frustration with the team management anymore and need to vent somewhere...

I understand the need for a RHD. But why the f*** can we not wait until the offseason to make this move? We're ranked 6th last in the league! Why did we pay isle's first rounder AND second rounder at our current draft position in this year's draft when it's one of the deepest drafts in recent years? I just don't understand. Could we not have negotiated at 2024 first rounder instead? It was likely Yzerman who called other teams to let them know Hronek is available because his name was never on the rumour mill. Yzerman knows Canucks are desperate for a young RHD and then PA took the bait. I also do not understand why Yzerman gave up on Hronek when he still has a year left until RFA. It's a bit of a red flag in my opinion.

I remain very pessimistic and don't see us moving Miller or Boeser by Friday despite all the rumblings. Based on this deal, even if a trade is to happen with one of Boeser or Miller, they'll probably take just take more forwards instead of draft picks. We have so much cap space from LTIR but we are not using it to our advantage at all. 

I'm also prepared for the worst scenario here. Isles pick this yr cause they drop in the standings and their pick wins the lottery next yr. I am just so ready for that to happen. 

I am almost done with this team. If they do not recoup some of these picks by Friday I think that's it for me...like many of you i am sick and tired of re-tooling and being medicore. The most frustrating part? There doesn't seem to be any way for fans to get that message to ownership and management. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

I'm just as nervous as you guys are, but you'll feel less frustrated if you just accept the fact that rebuilding through the draft was never the plan. 

From management's POV - they don't want to wait for 18 year old prospects to develop while Petey and Hughes push 30 at the end of their prime. 

One step further, it’s kind of funny to watch  the super obnoxious types getting all horny for a rebuild only to have the rug pulled from under them over and over.  

I say this as someone who doesn’t really like this trade, (Hronek is fine) but just not at the deadline, before we’ve cleared some space for next year.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Then we will be right back in this place in 5 or 10 years with diminished assets in Pettey and Hughes. 

They are just spinning their wheels avoiding the inevitable. 

1 minute ago, canuckwings said:

First post here because I just can no longer hold my frustration with the team management anymore and need to vent somewhere...

I understand the need for a RHD. But why the f*** can we not wait until the offseason to make this move? We're ranked 6th last in the league! Why did we pay isle's first rounder AND second rounder at our current draft position in this year's draft when it's one of the deepest drafts in recent years? I just don't understand. Could we not have negotiated at 2024 first rounder instead? It was likely Yzerman who called other teams to let them know Hronek is available because his name was never on the rumour mill. Yzerman knows Canucks are desperate for a young RHD and then PA took the bait. I also do not understand why Yzerman gave up on Hronek when he still has a year left until RFA. It's a bit of a red flag in my opinion.

I remain very pessimistic and don't see us moving Miller or Boeser by Friday despite all the rumblings. Based on this deal, even if a trade is to happen with one of Boeser or Miller, they'll probably take just take more forwards instead of draft picks. We have so much cap space from LTIR but we are not using it to our advantage at all. 

I'm also prepared for the worst scenario here. Isles pick this yr cause they drop in the standings and their pick wins the lottery next yr. I am just so ready for that to happen. 

I am almost done with this team. If they do not recoup some of these picks by Friday I think that's it for me...like many of you i am sick and tired of re-tooling and being medicore. The most frustrating part? There doesn't seem to be any way for fans to get that message to ownership and management. 

Definitely agree with the timing

1 hour ago, RolexSub said:

Why don't you ask the Canuck fans here if they heard of Filip Hronek? 

I have nothing against him but I am just saying? If he was good, I am sure many of us would be ok with this trade. But I think the fans aren't happy because it appears we gave up too much for him. But we could be wrong. And this forum is for everyone to voice their opinion!!! 

You just trolled me comparing a 33 year old Schenn on his way out with a 25 year old on his way in.

That isn’t opinion.

1 hour ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

What team has ever won with just two players? It's crap. Their formula is crap. Not one lightbulb in that office goes off and says this isn't working. Stupidity at its best.

It isn’t just two players.

With Demko and a cheap Silovs we have a five year window ahead.

Then we have Kuz, Podz, Hogz, Räty, Beauvillier, Mikhejev and others, all young with the vet Miller

And you want draft pick!?!?

It’s now or in ten years because Bedard isn’t coming here and he is the only player that might have got us quicker to a window.

• Like 1