The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Trade Day Edition

Rate this topic

Warhippy

40 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Totally.  And he's on record advocating the accumulation of draft picks as currency to get the players we need, then reverses course when management does exactly that.  Freaks out about missing the window with Petey and Hughes, then loses his sh!t when we try to plug some holes around them.  All at full volume and with utter disregard for how he contradicts himself.  But it works:  look at all the negative nellies here, it's like he has a direct line to their brains. 

I'm one of the negative nellies. I never watch or listen to Drance once. So there, you are proven wrong.

It's funny though. @SilentSamonce had a wild suspicion that I'm Drance. So maybe I'm just not watching or listening to myself :bigblush:

• Haha 2
  • There it is 1

23 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Why would Gavrikov even be available? Presumably the Kings didn't give up a 1st to let him walk. 

“It doesn’t sound like he’s inclined to talk to whatever team ends up acquiring him about an extension at this point in time and so you’d be spending those three assets for a rental player who probably wants to become a free agent this summer,” Chris Johnston (TSN) 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, jyu said:

If we can sign Livingstone, then I'd just part with Bear and re-sign Schenn. Livingstone and Schenn will cost 2 mil or less together. Bear alone makes 2 mil now and I don't think he is looking for a paycut.

Hughes-Schenn

Gavrikov-Hronek

OEL-Livingstone

Gavrikov would be a good get, I don't know if we will be able to get him though.

Signing Schenn and letting Bear go wouldn’t be bad but I think Schenn will get a bit of a raise 

We are not alone lol

It must be hard being a Canucks fan right now, watching your franchise wrestle with itself. Vancouver turns the page with the Horvat trade, bringing in a first-round pick and Raty, then…Vancouver punts that pick in a confounding trade for puck-moving defenseman Filip Hronek. It essentially means Vancouver moved Horvat and a second-round pick for Raty, Hronek, Beauvillier and a fourth-round pick. Woof. Hronek is a perfectly capable player, and Beauvillier looks reborn since arriving in Vancouver, but these are the caliber of assets that characterize middling contender status. The Canucks are in denial. Keep in mind they also sold off Schenn, adopting a seller posture, before turning around and dealing away a first-round pick. Talk about contradictory behavior. This franchise is lost.

1 hour ago, Barnstorm said:

You’ve clearly misunderstood me, please 
don’t put your words in my mouth.

I never once assigned any “worth” to picks or prospects. 

I’ll give it one last attempt:

I’m suggesting, and ownership is likely responsible, that this team only knows one way forward and after over ten years  they have repeatedly failed to succeed in creating a winning team. 

I am not trying to put words in your mouth.  Your original post was that the Canucks are doing the same as always and not building with draft picks and I am saying they picked up 3 great prospects so I don't see it that way.  

5 minutes ago, brian42 said:

Signing Schenn and letting Bear go wouldn’t be bad but I think Schenn will get a bit of a raise 

Having followed bears acquisition and all the intricacies that precided it. The Dickinson move. To allow the Canucks to clear cap. And how brind’amour waited , it was clear that both the canes and nux really wanted the deal to happen since bears bad experience in edm. And his long COVID to his full recovery as how both teams accommodated  bears desire to land in van. So in that context if either bear or schenn were to take a home town discount to stay in van bears age gives him the upper hand. That said it would be nice to see a short term for schenn and a reasonable deal for bear. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Metal Face Doom said:

Just because you don't like the moves or direction doesn't mean there isn't a plan.  Know the difference.  

Emotion has taken over CDC.  Wait, it's sports, 90% is emotion driven.

Ironic. You not agreeing with those that don’t share your viewpoint doesn’t make them ignorant or emotional. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

It's more of the how when they have left little to none cap room. I guess they could do a buyout but then there really isn't anything in the free agent market coming up and that means you have to have picks and assets to trade to get the players they need which they don't really have. This is where I see they have a big problem. Fast tracking is such a luck of the draw sort of thing to do. They have to have so many things go their way.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82

1 hour ago, Kenny Powers said:

Those two years at $4.7M are a killer. Hoping OEL has a renaissance year and we clear 2-3 wingers and Myers instead

There won't be a real saving for future buyout if OEL doesn't really perform and it'd be a wasted year.  It is only for two seasons and the real saving is this next season with this very buyout windows of only $146,667.  You won't get this type of saving for remaining of OEL's future years if we don't act this summer.

23 minutes ago, brian42 said:

That is true. The raise would be 1.25-1.5 mil for 2-3 years?

Livingstone would be on an ELC so about 1 mil. 

Bear is mobile and generally a decent bottom 6 player but a little expensive for our team because we have so little cap space. I guess he could prove me wrong and take a paycut to stay here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Screw said:

Missed the Krav trade which is one of my personal favourites.

Yep I have high hopes for this kid. 

Hope they give him the best chance at succeeding.

I think a coach like Rick can bring out the best in him.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Warhippy said:

GM and PoHo statements:. Tried to make deals, deals hard to make.  Teams not making deals.  Cap space is hard.  Wanted to get younger.  Will revisit at the draft and this summer.  Lots of irons in the fire.

New management, same as the old management in terms of statements.  Hockey standards.

Okay, but which of those statements is untrue? None, as far as I can see. Simply put, if there was a deal to be made, it would have been made. There wasn't, so there wasn't.

• Upvote 1