The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Toronto Maple Leafs at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 04, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Said this last night, for those of you who never witnessed the 94' team, last night is exactly how they played. Bad reffing? No problem. Intimidation by the other team? bring it on, but more importantly, they never gave up and played a full 60 minutes.  

Its not like it was just another regular season game either , Toronto really wanted to win last night and they brought their "A" game.

I have waited a long time to see this team play like this again, I am ecstatic and can't wait until next year. 

Yes Demko helped us weather the storm initially and then we hit them back with alot of grade A chances of our own. 

Myers set the tone early with his hit on Tavares and then ragdolling McCabe. Joshua was also really good all night. Bunting is lucky that the linesmen was in the way or Dakota would have made him drink through a straw.  Miller was solid. Podz too . The whole team bought in and came to play. 

Would like to see a bit more from kravtsov. It's still early but he hasn't impressed me yet and I wonder if he had the competitive desire / will to win that we see from our other skilled guys like Petey. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AngryElf said:

We've seen time and time again that the most aggressive PK teams that do well in the regular season get creamed in the playoffs. It actually pays to be a bit passive, and the big thing I've noticed is that we're being a lot more diligent with blocking lanes than we used to be aside from the one goal against.  

Thats actually a really good insight I didn't think about. 

When our PK was doing great,  we were a good shot blocking team and then Demko would make the saves. 

Somewhere along the way (maybe after losing Tanev Beagle etc, our shot blocking got terrible. Guys weren't filling the shooting lanes. 

Maybe that's the issue? 

Good point. 

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, SilentSam said:

WOW !

it would be absolutely incredible if we won the lottery .     

My expectations are low , and usually more realistic drafting..      I’d rather be pleasantly surprised about draft picks,  and how they work out.

This draft seems deep though,  but I doubt if we get anyone we’re willing to have with the big club for 2 seasons.

( always happier to be wrong in this case )

Bedard would be a Cherry.

At the very least he will be a canuck one day. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Said this last night, for those of you who never witnessed the 94' team, last night is exactly how they played. Bad reffing? No problem. Intimidation by the other team? bring it on, but more importantly, they never gave up and played a full 60 minutes.  

Its not like it was just another regular season game either , Toronto really wanted to win last night and they brought their "A" game.

I have waited a long time to see this team play like this again, I am ecstatic and can't wait until next year. 

Miller went beast mode, tbh, and I am happy to take heat for this, but if Tocchet can get him to focus, him and Petey could both get Selke consideration over the next 2 years.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Vintage 1

11 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Yep the perfect leader in meaningless games :bigblush:

I kid .. I kid, still he needs to prove he can get things done when it matters 

He was right there with Bo in the playoffs in the bubble. I will give him that. 

4 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

Miller went beast mode, tbh, and I am happy to take heat for this, but if Tocchet can get him to focus, him and Petey could both get Selke consideration over the next 2 years.

That would be a dream. I'd say its a win for us if he could be a point a game player playing solid 2 way hockey as a 2c

1 hour ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Demko should get alot of credit as he held the fort in the 1st period, frustrating the Leafs in the process. Imagine if he played like this earlier in the season 

Agreed. 

Game would have looked a lot different if leafs were up 2-0 in the first 15 min while out shooting van 14-4 or whatever it was. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

Its nice watching games like this because you can then see who your "Gamers" really are, we seen that last night. Miller, Joshua, Petey, Myers, Demko and Kuz all showed they can perform when things get amped up. 

Plus they did it in those classic black jerseys! they have some history behind them. 

Games like that are why I can see a team taking on Myers next year. 

If I were a GM I’d consider a 2nd and a 4rd for the Canucks to take 50% for Myers and another team to take another 1.5 off of that.

At 1.5 mil you’re going to have days where Myers is an absolute steal and his size / ability to play up the lineup is a nice safety blanket in the playoffs. Of course, you’re going to have days where you’re wondering why you paid for the guy, too.  The nature of the chaos giraffe… but overall very likely worth the risk.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

Thanks (1972, not 1968); also his coverage (without ever actually covering) the Kentucky Derby was hilarious.

Thanks, i'll look those up.

I also love Where the Buffalo Roam movie with Bill Murray, also hilarious. My dad showed me that one.

• Like 1