The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Saturday March 18 2023 - Vancouver Canucks @ LA Kings - 7pm PT/10pm ET - LA

Rate this topic

OldFaithfulCap

14 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Please no. I'd rather have Carlsson than Michkov I don't care what skill and speed he has. We don't need another player especially one that weighs under 150 lbs. I'd take Fantilli over Michkov any day. I'd rather trade down and get Cristall.

3 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Please no. I'd rather have Carlsson than Michkov I don't care what skill and speed he has. We don't need another player especially one that weighs under 150 lbs. I'd take Fantilli over Michkov any day. I'd rather trade down and get Cristall.

Cristall is 5'10, 165. Not much of a difference there... 

30 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Question, does he play like Theo Fluery?   If not no thanks.   Don't care if he "drops" to us either.   Theo played like he was 6'5" and a Canuck killer.   Does he really do all of that?  I doubt it. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

At the NHL level I often wonder how much of 'being prepared' to show up lies with coaching vs the individual players themselves?

Tocchet himself,  to his own credit,  took some responsibility for the team not being prepared in AZ.

The coach doesn't do much for preparation or pumping players up at this level.  Every player has a different process to get ready for a game and it's up to each player to get ready to play

23 minutes ago, stawns said:

The coach doesn't do much for preparation or pumping players up at this level.  Every player has a different process to get ready for a game and it's up to each player to get ready to play

I'm sure it depends on the type of team you're talking about,  a veteran team or a bunch of younger guys wt not a lot of pro experience.   Jon Cooper a few weeks back said his team knows exactly how to prepare and they have 'expectations' in their organization (which is why he benched his vets one game) whereas I doubt it's the same in a place like Ottawa where their average age is barely 25yo.

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I completely understand your reservations,  but I've heard more than one analyst say Michkov's skill-set is easily as good as Bedard's....if he were available at wherever we are selecting,  it would be difficult to pass up a potential generational talent like that.  It  could be a game-changer for this organization.   But its not without risk that's for sure. 

48 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Question, does he play like Theo Fluery?   If not no thanks.   Don't care if he "drops" to us either.   Theo played like he was 6'5" and a Canuck killer.   Does he really do all of that?  I doubt it. 

I don't know about playing like Fleury, but he's outscored all other Russian players; including Ovi, by quite a large

margin (during draft year).  Kids quite the phenomenon. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I don't know about playing like Fleury, but he's outscored all other Russian players; including Ovi, by quite a large

margin (during draft year).  Kids quite the phenomenon. 

That's good.   Also he won't have to "go to war" like Theo described the league when he first joined.   So if we draft him that's ok - im just hoping that size doesn't matter in his case.    Theo was a warrior, in much tougher/rougher era.   It's hard to find many  guys who weigh 150lbs  who survived this league.    Or 160 for that matter.    Get things are reverting back to the 70-80's as far as forwards and D's go.   Maybe he can make it.   Would he fine if we passed though.   Podz was also supposed to be drafted in the top 3.  

Edited by IBatch

26 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I'm sure it depends on the type of team you're talking about,  a veteran team or a bunch of younger guys wt not a lot of pro experience.   Jon Cooper a few weeks back said his team knows exactly how to prepare and they have 'expectations' in their organization (which is why he benched his vets one game) whereas I doubt it's the same in a place like Ottawa where their average age is barely 25yo.

I agree that younger teams need more guidance, but not by much.  These kids are taught how to be professionals from the time they're 16, and that includes the mental part of the game too

Should be a pretty competitive match tonight - think both teams will put their best foot forward - Canucks obviously need the points to keep their very slim mathematical odds alive (and hope the teams in front of them keep losing). KIngs are one point back of Vegas and I think probably want to see how they stack up against a team on a roll like the Canucks.  Predict Kings will win in OT 4-3.  With the nice weather outside today, kind of feels like we are with them in California watching the game :)

On the question of whether or not to draft Michkov you have to look at the specifics.

Nux will likely finish 8 to 10th from the bottom.

Therefore they can draft 1st or 2nd or 8th 9th 10th 11th or 12th.

3rd to 7th isn't possible in this scenario.

So being specific.  Of course if you are drafting 1st you take Bedard not Michkov.

If you draft 2nd you likely take Fantilli not Michkov.

But if you draft 8th to 12th ya maybe you take a chance on him if he is available.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, fanfor42 said:

On the question of whether or not to draft Michkov you have to look at the specifics.

Nux will likely finish 8 to 10th from the bottom.

Therefore they can draft 1st or 2nd or 8th 9th 10th 11th or 12th.

3rd to 7th isn't possible in this scenario.

So being specific.  Of course if you are drafting 1st you take Bedard not Michkov.

If you draft 2nd you likely take Fantilli not Michkov.

But if you draft 8th to 12th ya maybe you take a chance on him if he is available.

Drafting Michkov isn’t “taking a chance”. He is a guy, if we’re so lucky to select him we will be seeing a phenom in our lineup when he’s here in three years. He’s a brilliant player. 

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Drafting Michkov isn’t “taking a chance”. He is a guy, if we’re so lucky to select him we will be seeing a phenom in our lineup when he’s here in three years. He’s a brilliant player. 

It's not taking a chance that he is a good player.  It is taking a chance that he stays in an increasingly isolated Russia until his rights expire.

• Cheers 2