The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks recall Jack Rathbone

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, wildcam said:

OEL will not be moved full no trade clause? Do you remember 3 yrs ago when Coyotes tried to move OEL and he would accept trade to Vancouver and Boston?

Vancouver had Coyotes in the corner and then lost the deal? 

Vancouver give 3 players making 3 million each expiring at end of that season?

Vancouver take OEL and 6 yrs at 7.2 million - --Garland gets added 

Vancouver give 1st rounder 9th O/A -- 2nd rounder. ... 

Can't see Vancouver buy OEL out until  last 2 yrs of his deal.. Big hit against cap in year 2 and 3 of buyout..

lolol.. Kesler gave Benning 2 teams so he lost the deal. 

OEL gave Arizona 2 teams and Benning still lost the deal. 

The fan-made reason for the subpar Kesler return is just laughable. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Putgolzin said:

Is it possible he was sent down cause he can only play one game per emergency call up?

Like some type of loophole yo-yo

@mll will probably weigh in, but I think the rule is only that the player on emergency recall must be “promptly returned” to their club when the emergency situation has ended.

But so long as the emergency conditions continue, they can stay up (with a <10 game/30 days waivers exemption, which runs separately from regular recalls).

So probably the Canucks believed they would have 6 Dmen healthy for their next game, so they returned Rathbone, under the terms of the emergency recall. But now they find themselves in emergency conditions again (less than 6 healthy Dmen are available for their next game), so they’ve recalled Rathbone.

I’m also guessing this also means Hirose will play? Unless he picked up a training injury or something and is one of the guys who can’t go?

On 3/31/2023 at 3:15 AM, Drakrami said:

lolol.. Kesler gave Benning 2 teams so he lost the deal. 

OEL gave Arizona 2 teams and Benning still lost the deal. 

The fan-made reason for the subpar Kesler return is just laughable. 

I actually think we did well in that deal. Bonino became one of the top checking line PK centres in the league and McCann is scoring at a 40 goal pace this year. Taking Sbisa over Theodore was a whiff but given how Kesler’s career went this still would have been highway robbery if we just kept Bonino and McCann

On 3/30/2023 at 8:55 PM, cripplereh said:

OEL if anything will be bought out next season when EP and Hronek need new deals. 

Garland is a strong player that you would have to commit the same or more to replace.He us staying unless a bigger deal is made.  

Myers, Brock and maybe Miller are going this summer.One buyout of Pearson or Poolman if they can play should happen.  

Leaving next year for OEL to be bought out.

That makes way more sense moving forward. 

Slim chance OEL gets bought out this summer.

There is exactly ZERO chance of Miller being traded.

47 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

There is exactly ZERO chance of Miller being traded.

Let's say we can't trade anyone and only one of interest is Miller.He is gone as we need to get under the cap.  

Twice he was almost gone,you don't think they are still looking and listening?   

I think he will stay but if a good offer comes at this point you have to take it and management knows that.

11 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

I actually think we did well in that deal. Bonino became one of the top checking line PK centres in the league and McCann is scoring at a 40 goal pace this year. Taking Sbisa over Theodore was a whiff but given how Kesler’s career went this still would have been highway robbery if we just kept Bonino and McCann

How Kesler plays after the trade doesnt matter. 

At the time Kesler was a 40 goal scoring center on a 5million per year contract and single handedly won us the Nashville series. Should have been a blockbuster return. Not #24 1st round pick, 2nd line center, and Sbisa who already was showing signs he is not panning out to be top 4 D. 

15 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

3 hours ago, Drakrami said:

How Kesler plays after the trade doesnt matter. 

At the time Kesler was a 40 goal scoring center on a 5million per year contract and single handedly won us the Nashville series. Should have been a blockbuster return. Not #24 1st round pick, 2nd line center, and Sbisa who already was showing signs he is not panning out to be top 4 D. 

I'm also certain that leaving Vancouver was the best thing for both McCann and Bonino.  They did not play good hockey with us.  McCann took time to improve and got better and better every time he was traded.  Bonino would've never been a clutch playoff performer staying with us.

Which leads us back to Rathbone.  It's never too late for a player to blossom, but it's probably too late for us to retain any trade value.  So we can either keep him for depth or let him go for cheap and see if he pans out somewhere else.  Jalen Chatfield turned into a really solid top-4 D-man in Carolina this season.  God knows we could've used that... but Chatfield doesn't turn into that player if he stayed with the Canucks.  He probably would've spent half the season in Abbotsford.  New scenery can really change the way people play.

12 hours ago, cripplereh said:

Let's say we can't trade anyone and only one of interest is Miller.He is gone as we need to get under the cap.  

Twice he was almost gone,you don't think they are still looking and listening?   

I think he will stay but if a good offer comes at this point you have to take it and management knows that.

Statements like Miller will never be traded are a tad ridiculous. Any player is trade able. Wayne says hi. It is all about balancing value to the org, timelines and yes even personalities. I am not as hyped about moving Miller as I was last year. That said it is all about the offer. Canucks are not a deep roster for serious contention yet. It is all about how PA and his team evaluates the players and where they expect to be in 2-3 years.