The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

On 6/21/2023 at 5:49 PM, cripplereh said:

Next cba that should be addressed.

With revenue sharing that should be taken into mind to make every team equal.

That way every team going forward will have an equal shot at players wanting to play for them. Cap equal across the board is a win for all 

Im not sure why they cant do cap structures in post tax dollars

Given how Alvin responded to questions regarding this extension, he doesn’t seem to be in any hurry.

My guess is that it will not get done this off season unless Petey’s agent throws a reasonable number where the Canucks cannot refuse.

1 hour ago, Wanless said:

Im not sure why they cant do cap structures in post tax dollars

It would be hard to do. A good accountant can lower your taxes quite a bit. Many hockey players run charities for example. It would be hard to set a standard that actually got applied to everyone. 

4 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Is there an EP goalie in next years draft?

We have to draft him!

Lol. 

I was just referring to the times that EP has come back and saved a goal or made a great defensive play.  Wasn't thinking of our other EP.  Good catch.

I'd love for this signing to get done this offseason, but honestly could see no point on Petey's end for rushing it. 

But yeah I'm in the camp of pretty much 12ish million or less give him 8 years and let's get it done. (Of course anything around 10 is amazing and I'd be stoked)

Just now, MattWN. said:

He's not worth McDavid's contract under any circumstance. 

He is now. McDavid will be at 16 per when his deal comes up. Petey is by far the better player without the puck too. 
Shine up that dome Allvin. There’s a contract to get done. :frantic:

I don't think Pettersson is a slam dunk to re-sign in Vancouver if we don't show him we can build a competitive team and actually shoot for the playoffs. He has already come out and said he wants to win. He's ultra competitive and if Vancouver continues to miss the playoffs, I envision he will ask to be traded. And then, Hughes will follow shortly after.

Pettersson doesn't give me the same loyalty vibes as the Sedin brothers or even Naslund. And... there's nothing wrong with that. Players want to win and they aren't expected to take a discount all the time. Both Quinn and Pettersson are in the prime of their careers, and if they don't see progress being made, I think both are likely gone.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

i dont think the deal will get done in the summer. EP have no rush in the deal only Vancouver is. if EP manages to build on his season with kuz and a healthy mikheyev the entire season and gets himself into the selke finalist the $$ value will only increase.. besides i don't think he wants to lock himself down prior to seeing if this team going to pull the same crap and shit the bed every night for the 1st half of the season again.. i wouldn't blame him.. i mean we've entered the season with optimism for 3 straight years and we are out of the playoff before US thanksgiving every time.

• Upvote 1

Still a lot of cheddar to turn down if the Canucks come with a solid offer. Things are obviously moving in a more professional, positive direction with the current mgmt. If he wants this team to be good, he is better off commiting - allows the team to budget long-term, he can help recruit, shows the team leader is sticking around, etc.

If I’m Petey’s camp, it’s not just the money but the plan/blueprint of team construction and contention going forward. He doesn’t want to lock himself in with results of the last 3 seasons. He wants to win, because he will get paid well where ever he plays.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I doubt this happens but what if Petey goes after crippling big money to a point where we say screw it let’s trade him? 

What would your expectations be for a return?

Can’t be just futures, we would need a player as this team will never go full rebuild. 

It would have to include a young centre that can slot in the second line (I would assume JT gets bumped to the first).

6 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I doubt this happens but what if Petey goes after crippling big money to a point where we say screw it let’s trade him? 

What would your expectations be for a return?

Can’t be just futures, we would need a player as this team will never go full rebuild. 

It would have to include a young centre that can slot in the second line (I would assume JT gets bumped to the first).

We’d kinda be f**ked in terms of trying to compete. It would be a huge hindrance.

Hughes probably gonna go after same money. Same agent. 

Not sure we get a young 2nd C. Teams would usually trade high end prospects and picks for guys like Petey. Guys like that take time to fill key spots. 

• Cheers 2