The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

5 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

If the team starts playing real hockey it might affect his point totals. Especially if he's more dedicated to defence.

i mean he's the most dedicated player to defence we have.. hard to see him more dedicated than he already is.. i certainly dont want to see him lying down on the ice face first blocking more shots.. he's #2 on the bloody team in block shots.. and is a country miles ahead of the next forward.. i honestly prefer him to block less.. 1 bad block he's gone for a while and the canucks season is done again. like it's really hard to imagine him do more defensively.. block more shots? hit more? 

22 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

so you are expecting Pettersson who's been playing with a carousel of wingers the last couple season and still set a career high in points while avg over 1.2 in his last 1.5 season to regress and can't even match his career high? okie

I think in order for Pettersson to have these career years, Kuzmenko will need to sustain his league leading shooting percentage and I don’t really see that happening. 

37 minutes ago, shiznak said:

I think in order for Pettersson to have these career years, Kuzmenko will need to sustain his league leading shooting percentage and I don’t really see that happening. 

i dont think so.. EP have shown he can make it work with goldobins and eriksson of the world and still put up like a .98 ppg with those guys he doesn't need a kuzmenko to be shooting the lights out he just needs competent wingers.. if he can have 2 wingers that can put up 25-30 goals each he'd still be right up there.. he doesn't need a 40-50 goal winger.. so far he have 1 winger in kuzmenko.. if mik was healthy he'd easy hit 25-30.. that's better than the carosuel of wingers he had this season.. he had podz hogz boeser beau di giuseppe joshua pederson last season as a winger at certain point of the season.. if he can hit 100 points with just kuzmenko and a rotation of wingers?? u don't think he can hit 100+ points with kuzmenko and a competent winger? let say kuzmenko regress to 30 ish goals.. but the new winger whoever the hell they put on there puts up 25-30 goals.. that's actually a net gain in terms of production out of that line.. and it's total not unreasonable.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

If we trade EP we would get 2 young players, a young player from the years draft, 1 to three 1sts?

I don't really know but he is young, top ten center in the league.So what ever that is worth.

doubt that you get 2 younger players + a player from the draft and additional 1st rounders... Eichel went for a top 10 protected 1st a good player in tuch a prospect at the time krebs and a 2nd.. you rarely see teams trade multiple future 1st rounders and teams that will be trading for EP will prolly be a middling team to a contender so those 1st would be mid to really late.. and in order to even get those values.. it would have to be a sign and trade.. no one is giving all those for a player that doesn't have a mid range term attached

• There it is 1

14 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

If we trade EP we would get 2 young players, a young player from the years draft, 1 to three 1sts?

I don't really know but he is young, top ten center in the league.So what ever that is worth.

We will find out as the season progresses whether Petey will sign a contract that includes UFA years. But if we do have to trade him, we will lose the deal. It will be like Smellville trading Tkatchuk. We would not go for young guys and picks in return. We would try to back fill the hole losing Petey creates with veterans. 

Meh, I can take him or leave em, we will get similar quality players for him if he moves on anyway. 

Personally, I would prefer a bigger more rugged #1 Center who can withstand the riggers of a long physical playoff run if the opportunity presented itself. 

Also, I am not a big believer in putting all of your eggs in one basket and having the success of a team put on 2 or 3 players on your team.

Paying your players stupid money like Matthews seems futile if you want to buid a championship TEAM.

Ideally a bigger more rugged Center would be like a Kopitar, a Barkov or an Eichel and those guys come in around the 10 Million mark. 

Then you have a Lafreniere at 2.35 Million, so I think there is room there to get a quality #1 Center for a lot cheaper and still have enough Cap space left to build a playoff team around them. 

Vegas did a pretty good job with that thought process. ::D

11 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Are we talking about the same player?  K’Andre Miller has played 214 games in the NHL, had 43 points last year and played almost 22 minutes a night. He would be the perfect partner for Hronek.

Lafreniere is a former #1 overall pick who is Wayne Gretzky’s current favourite NHL player. He’s rotting on the 3rd line in New York. If you play him with Miller he’s probably gonna get 60-70 points. 

If the Rangers also throw in their 2024 1st round pick then it’s actually not a bad deal. 

Oops, my bad.  I was confusing him with another prospect (Mukhamadullin-for some reason I thought

he was with the Rangers, but it was the Devils).:rolleyes:  I'm unsure about Laffy, although I do know that

the developmental time for power forwards can take longer.  Hopefully Wayne's scouting abilities

are better than his coaching!

Still, I don't like the possibility of finding another #1C, which could end up being a disaster for our team.

They will lose assets acquiring another C, who will likely be a mid-tier talent.

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Citizen Erased said:

It’s hard to imagine him being more dedicated to defence. He did receive some votes for the Selke.

Team defence and winning sometimes means sacrificing point totals, or not focusing on beating your previous score. I can totally imagine a scenario where the team is better and Petey gets less points. 70% of the season they spent chasing games in garbage time. Petey said himself he is focusing on becoming better defensively just the other day in a press release.

11 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

We're considering trading Petey now?

Don't think anyone is, but if it turns out, he doesn't want to stay, its fair folks discuss, what value he may hold. 
Nobody wants to see the back of Petey, but everyone has a prize. 

13 hours ago, Alflives said:

We will find out as the season progresses whether Petey will sign a contract that includes UFA years. But if we do have to trade him, we will lose the deal. It will be like Smellville trading Tkatchuk. We would not go for young guys and picks in return. We would try to back fill the hole losing Petey creates with veterans. 

Well might be a bigger deal then as what we got for Horvat was awesome but EP is worth more and that why I say another young player.

We might have to give up either Hogs or Rathbone plus a 4th but would be well worth it.

I highly doubt it would be vets as if EP is gone so is QH , Demko and Miller.

My thing is do sorta what the Leafs did get young guys plus picks and rank for a couple years.By the time all are ready we would have 2 scoring lines and top pairing D plus we already have a great young goalie.Then sign three or four good ufa's and we would be way better in three years.

• There it is 1

31 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

Well might be a bigger deal then as what we got for Horvat was awesome but EP is worth more and that why I say another young player.

We might have to give up either Hogs or Rathbone plus a 4th but would be well worth it.

I highly doubt it would be vets as if EP is gone so is QH , Demko and Miller.

My thing is do sorta what the Leafs did get young guys plus picks and rank for a couple years.By the time all are ready we would have 2 scoring lines and top pairing D plus we already have a great young goalie.Then sign three or four good ufa's and we would be way better in three years.

I’m too drunk to read your post but the first word sounds good.  And thank the hockey Gods the cheating, selfish pice of craperolla Horfat wallet is gone. 

• Haha 1