The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Draft and Off Season Talk

Rate this topic

Odd.

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Not that our luck is any better, but the Ducks have now come in second in both the Crosby and Bedard lotteries.

They've got a cup, so don't think it matters that much.

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The good news is by the time Chicago can actually ice an NHL lineup Bedard will have played 7 NHL seasons and will be a UFA.  He will do what PLD is doing, making sure he plays for his hometown team while still in his prime.

Petey will still only be 32.  He's an alien so he will play until he is 40.  He can be our 2C for around 8 years while Bedard is our 1C.  

We only have to wait another 7 years.  It's not that long guys.  Some of us have been waiting alot longer than that...

Just gotta hope Chicago misses on a lot of those picks they have coming. 

Few of of them are Tampa picks, those won't be high. Neither will the Toronto 1st. Lot of the 2nd round picks will be middling to later round picks too, quantity in hand or not. 

Gotta hit on picks for them to matter, and a lot of the players they draft at the slots those picks end up at will likely need development time as opposed to being players who step right in.

The only high picks the Hawks will have going forward are their own. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Nave said:

They said on the broadcast it's twice in 5 years. 

This is a total nightmare because I can see so see that scenario happening...Arrrrrrrgh. 

I really am a lot more angrier than I thought I would be right now. And I have to hear another month of how Bedard can help turn the Chicago franchise around before the actual draft. 

6 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

He'd say, "thank you very much," and then announce that the franchise will be moving to that hockey hotbed NHL success story called Atlanta.  He wouldn't fret for even one second if we folded, it would just enable him to continue implementing his tv market share scam.

Lol the same tv market share that already collapsed two to three regional broadcast networks covering a third of the teams in the league. 

3 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

You're missing my point. 

It's not like Mackinnon peaked then....declined. He can be attributed to a big part of their success (along with others). 

Petey hasn't had the same luxury.

I made a point that makes that irrelevant. They were a bubble team even with that performance for back to back years. Then Makar comes in and they go from 17th to 3rd in the league. 

Try to water down his impact all you want but the reality says otherwise as does the Conn Smythe, Norris and Cup. 

Petey hasn’t proved not even half as much and that’s mainly because he just broke out. Maybe in 3-5 years he can have more accomplishments that evens it out but Makar has pulled way ahead because he came out making way more of an impact earlier. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Eh if I was bedard I would go to a university and then pick my team in 3 years. 

He'll want to play in the NHL.
Just sucks it'll be for the Blackhawks. 

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The good news is by the time Chicago can actually ice an NHL lineup Bedard will have played 7 NHL seasons and will be a UFA.  He will do what PLD is doing, making sure he plays for his hometown team while still in his prime.

Petey will still only be 32.  He's an alien so he will play until he is 40.  He can be our 2C for around 8 years while Bedard is our 1C.  

We only have to wait another 7 years.  It's not that long guys.  Some of us have been waiting alot longer than that...

By that point Bettingman and Douchely will have “drawn” (gifted) the next seven 1st overalls to Boston, Montreal, NY, Detroit, Toronto, Edmonton and then Chicago again. 

• Haha 1

Chicago doesn't really have much left to trade away either, they may draft high the next few seasons but Bedard alone likely doesn't pull them out of a rebuild phase sooner than later. It's not as if he'll have much to play with. 

is there a sports organization that's more shady than the NHL? we already know they rig the playoffs in favour of preferred cup winner (2011, the refs manages games etc. so what's stopping them from rigging the draft?

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Just gotta hope Chicago misses on a lot of those picks they have coming. 

Few of of them are Tampa picks, those won't be high. Neither will the Toronto 1st. Lot of the 2nd round picks will be middling to later round picks too, quantity in hand or not. 

Gotta hit on picks for them to matter, and a lot of the players they draft at the slots those picks end up at will likely need development time as opposed to being players who step right in.

The only high picks the Hawks will have going forward are their own. 

Yes.  And they need to spend $22 million in the summer just to get to the cap floor.  And they can't do it by just taking on LTIR contracts as they need to ice 23 players.  They currently only have 13 players under contract and 5 RFA's who aren't getting much more than league minimum.  So they will need to spend on UFA's.  We can help them tremendously by giving them Garland, Poolman, Myers, Beauvillier.  And if they are really nice to us we can give them OEL too...

8 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Nope, disagree completely.

You overlook the roster that Makar stepped into compared to what Petey had to work with. Petey's a game changer all on his own.

But I don't need you to know...I know.

I have already made that irrelevant my pointing out the impact Makar made in the standings in comparison. It’s a night and day difference that’s inarguably more of an impact than Peter has ever made. 

The accomplishments and silver also don’t lie. 

Rose-coloured glasses won’t save you here Deb despite your best efforts. I applaud you for your unrelenting and in turn irrational resolve as a homer. 

8 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

He'd say, "thank you very much," and then announce that the franchise will be moving to that hockey hotbed NHL success story called Atlanta.  He wouldn't fret for even one second if we folded, it would just enable him to continue implementing his tv market share scam.

He'd be relieved a headache franchise like the Canucks is gone.  Thee Canucks have given the league so many black eyes 

with 2 riots and the Bertuzzi incident was a national disaster.  Burrows questioning the integrity of the NHLs officiating was national news and another back eye.  He'd say good riddance.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, fanfor42 said:

People this is more NHL subterfuge.

It is not like a 50/50 draw at the rink where it's a long string of numbers and if you miss by one you miss by one.

NO. Think like your credit card or debit card number where there are similarities in the first numbers. These digits are all done separately. They are not a sequential number.

Plus.  Each team has many many numbers and combos of numbers. Like dozens and dozens of combos. MANY TEAMS HAVE SIMILAR RESULTS TO THE WINNER.

It is designed to make it seem like lots of teams came close.

There are only 32 balls.  So, nobody else had that last ball of 13 other than Chicago.  We got the 12 instead of the 13 ball.  So it was close...