The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who here is actually happy with the Hronek trade?

Rate this topic

Odd.

5 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Here's an example of what I'm saying. Edler was drafted in the 3rd round in 2004. Scored a great hit in that draft. We would have been thrilled had he been a 2nd round pick. He played his first NHL games (22 of them) in 2006. He had his first 40 pt season in 2009. If we drafted a right shot Alex Edler (and that's getting pretty specific) in this draft Petey will be 30 when that d-man has his first 40 point season. We cannot depend entirely on draft picks to build around our young stars. If it takes too long it will be a small window assuming that window opens at all.

You're right that most players in the league are drafted. How many get traded? There's quite a few that take a while to establish themselves and become waiver elligible before they do. Those guys rarely end up playing for the team that drafted them. There's also late bloomers that don't even get qualified and establish themselves with other teams from free agency on a second chance. Some may even *gasp* ask to be traded. Has any team in the past 50 years won a cup without players acquired through trade or free agency?

I get what you're saying, and concede that there are multiple ways to build a team, which is the way it usually goes. 

I'm not just looking at who we have now, we'll still have a team later on when those young stars suddenly aren't so young anymore. The organization has to balance building for now with building for the future, which is part of why I take issue with our handling of second round picks the last couple decades. I wish we'd use more of those picks to draft players and build the future. 

Hronek at least returns a real asset, even if I'm a bit skeptical regarding what he actually is. We know what he was in Detroit, we've had a small sample size of him here. We won't know until we see it. 

But man, the 2nd to dump Dickinson, the 2nd we gave up in the OEL trade (and that trade in general), the 2nd we gave up in the package for a few months of Toffoli, the 2nd we gave up with McCann in the Gudbranson deal, the 2nd we gave up for Baer, for Vey. The Derek Roy trade. The Sutter trade (although he was actually useful when healthy). You could even go back further to our giving up 2nd round picks in deals for Bernier, Smolinski, and Sopel. Mike Noronen anyone? Keith Carney? Johan Hedburg? 

Those largely weren't this current management group, but man, one can see why I'm burnt out on our flipping them right? 

3 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

If he performs well, he should be playing alongside Hughes as our #2 D-man.  If he earns something like $6.5 million, that kind of money doesn't belong on the second pairing.

Why get stuck on first and second?

If Hughes and Hronek are separated and play together sometimes you can say we have a first LHD and a first RHD pairing.

3 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

So Woo is finally going to put it altogether after a few seasons? 

Don't see Johansson making much of an impact. 

This is your problem you want a steady player to be an impct player… Why? 

13 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

he reminds me a lot of ehrhoff.

a solid player but not spectacular. 

DEFINITELY NOT worth the $8.0M+

No you offer him 7-7.5, KNOWING the price for top 4 RHD is continuing to climb and in 2-3-4 onward in years, 7-7.5 million a  season will look pretty damn good! Don't kid yourself.. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

No you offer him 7-7.5, KNOWING the price for top 4 RHD is continuing to climb and in 2-3-4 onward in years, 7-7.5 million a  season will look pretty damn good! Don't kid yourself.. 

Where the cap space at :lol:

14 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Anyone not happy about this trade is completely ignorant. 

We traded an 18th OA pick for a player that fills the team’s most pressing need. A top 4 RHD.

We get immediate help as opposed to a pick that may or may not even make the NHL a few years into the future.

Also, the argument why they made the trade at the time was because top 4 RHD are not alway readily available. Don’t be so sure he would have been so this summer. 

A+ Trade.

No question.

A+ post and perspective.

No question!

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I get what you're saying, and concede that there are multiple ways to build a team, which is the way it usually goes. 

I'm not just looking at who we have now, we'll still have a team later on when those young stars suddenly aren't so young anymore. The organization has to balance building for now with building for the future, which is part of why I take issue with our handling of second round picks the last couple decades. I wish we'd use more of those picks to draft players and build the future. 

Hronek at least returns a real asset, even if I'm a bit skeptical regarding what he actually is. We know what he was in Detroit, we've had a small sample size of him here. We won't know until we see it. 

But man, the 2nd to dump Dickinson, the 2nd we gave up in the OEL trade (and that trade in general), the 2nd we gave up in the package for a few months of Toffoli, the 2nd we gave up with McCann in the Gudbranson deal, the 2nd we gave up for Baer, for Vey. The Derek Roy trade. The Sutter trade (although he was actually useful when healthy). You could even go back further to our giving up 2nd round picks in deals for Bernier, Smolinski, and Sopel. Mike Noronen anyone? Keith Carney? Johan Hedburg? 

Those largely weren't this current management group, but man, one can see why I'm burnt out on our flipping them right? 

We still have an 11th overall next month.

I don't know a lot about Hronek, but liked what I saw. I like the trade very much for a couple reasons. Like it or not we are entering prime EP, prime Hughes, prime Demko, and are in prime JT. The window is now. Sounds silly after last season, but the wndow starts now. Another reason is this franchise fails miserably at drafting and developing top D, so if we need one that first was the best ticket. 18th pick is overrated and could well be another Gaunce or Shinkaruk. Also, I wouldn't be against trading this years first and next years first for the right quality and age of player.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

16 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

when petey, hughes etc either age out or price out, they trade them for young players and/or picks.........like they should have done with Miller

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Where the cap space at :lol:

if he plays well enough to ask for that much money, then that's good for Van.  For one, he has shown to be a top 2 player (which he's mostly already shpwn) and that prbablymeans they've had some success.  Second, if they don't want to pay him, they'll get a huge return by dealing him.  I don't really see a down side

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

I would be way more mad about this trade had the pick been in the top 12 or delayed but now it just seem like an 2nd round overpayment. Well it ain't the Canucks if we don't have to throw in the 2nd as a sweetener. 

Think Hronek will stabilize our 2nd pairing so overall it is meh to wait and see.  

2 hours ago, mordekai said:

why not? you make it sound as if a kid cant take longer to develop. And this past year he actually had legitimate coaching.

How long has Woo been developing for? How many years now? You can perceive how I’m “making it sound” all you want, but it’s not as if the coaches before we absolutely trash. Frankly, I’d love for him to take the next step and become a physical force on the backend. Not holding my breath, but will gladly eat crow if he does. 

2 hours ago, mordekai said:

your opinion of Johansson based on the few AHL playoff games he played this year? or his season at the SHL?

A combination. Steady but unremarkable. He needs to do whatever it takes to separate himself from the chaff. Hopefully both make a splash this fall. 

23 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Well, why do you think Hughes need a babysitter when he is a monster himself? 
The problem has been that he was alone at the top.

Now Hronek take som valuable minutes from his shoulders and make sure we have a PP2 that is lethal also.

I’m not sure why some fans want our defence to be the best in the league.

It’s not fair since we already got one of the best forwards group.

Hughes can have his cheap partner.

OEL and Hronek take the second pair minutes and it will be many if they don’t let Hughes and Hronek overlap a bit.

Hirose, Johansson, Pettersson, McWard seems to be the cheap up and coming that takes care of bottom pairing together with the Abbyplayers that already played a fair bit.

Why do you need an extremely good D instantly? 
We have a window of four years now that will be very good from season 24/25.

So no stress this coming season.

We can even have Myers sheltering a younger prospect and when we reach playoffs he won’t get penalties as easy. 

You lost me at one of the best forward groups, we have half a cupboard full of maybes, Boeser.. enough said, can Kuz score 30+ again? He barely had minutes with the new coach keep that in mind, red hot Horvat is gone, Miller is on a New big time retirement contract which almost always see dipps in production.. will he ever score close to 100 again? Man the list goes on. Garland comes to mind it's crazy we're banking on a lot of what ifs. Other than Petey And Hughes (and Demko) this team is close to being on the decline in every other aspect. This season could easily be a disaster if Hornek has a career season and wants a big payday and gets it, we will continue to be a cap pressed team with a fringe playoff group. Not cool. In my books anyways. They need to shed salary and ice a competitive team. They need to regroup and try again. This is far from a top forward team in the NHL. Last year shows what we have isn't good enough. Imo all we've done is swap a great center with a 60 point consistency for a 20+ point defensemen who can eat mins. Call that par. I think we shouldnt be satisfied with what we're going into next year with at all...

• Thanks 1
  • There it is 1

I hated it when it was announced.  I was really looking forward to this draft and having 2 x 1st round picks and a 2nd round pick was gonna make it super interesting.  

Now that I've had time to process it, I understand it.  RHDs don't grow on trees, and we actually paid a pretty cheap price compared to every other young d-man traded not named Toews.  Here is the list of the recently traded young d-men (mostly left-handed). 

Chychrun was traded for a 1st round pick and 2 x 2nd round picks.  He's slightly better then Hronek. 

Nils Lunkvist went for a 1st and a 4th round pick.  He's not even close to being as proven or as good as Hronek.  

Alex Romanov went for a 13th overall pick.  Hronek is better then Romanov. 

Hampus Lindholm went for a 1st round pick, 2 x 2nd round picks, and a prospect. 

Seth Jones + 1st round pick (32nd overall) went for 1st round pick (12th overall), 1st round pick (6th overall), 2nd round pick, and Adam Boqvist. 

Rasmus Ristolainen went for 14th overall, 39th overall, and Robert Hagg.  

As you see, the price that we paid for Hronek isn't some sort of fleecing by Yzerman as some like to proclaim.  It's what market value is, and let's not forget that we traded the Isles' first round pick when it looked like it might roll over or end up in the lottery, which probably had perceived value to both Allvin and Yzerman.  We won that bet by the Isles making the playoffs and that draft pick ending up as 17th overall. 

For the sake of brevity, I omitted late round picks just like I haven't really mentioned the 4th round pick we got back in the Hronek deal.