The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who here is actually happy with the Hronek trade?

Rate this topic

Odd.

46 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

That's a good point, Canucks needed upgrades to the Top 4D right away and that is expensive. At least we know Hronek is a good NHL player. 

Drafting a D could take years to develop properly. I feel like I've been waiting 5 years for Woo to take a step. He'll probably be back with Abbotsford next season. 

Oh wait! It has been 5 years since Woo was drafted (2018). Is he any closer? sheesh

This D core before Hronek had one, count them, one legitimate top 4 defensemen.  All our other D's were nothing more than bottom pairing D's on a playoff bound team.  Even if you hit on a top 4 RHD with the NYI pick in the draft, it would still take 3 or 4 years for that pick to contribute.  And that still gives you just 2.  We still need to do some work on the D.  The move was made because of how crappy our D core was.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

You dont think a 25 year old, top 4, RHD starts with a 1st round draft pick ?

A good chunk of Canucks fans both on here and on twitter think you don't have to give to get. 

• Like 1
  • There it is 1

Hmmm ... I seem to remember people crying ... and crying hard ... that we needed a young RHD ... and then we get Hronek ... and people cried even harder. Can't have it both ways.

But ...

The fact is ... Hronek's great! Has a great shot, which we haven't had since the Salo days in a Dman. His best years are yet to come. He's going to be great for us. 

With Gonchar and Foote, I'm confident they can get him to be more defensively responsible without sacrificing his natural offensive talent. 

Hopefully Allvin is more focused on suring up our D so Hronek doesn't get stretched too thin and has to take on more roles than he should.

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

3 hours ago, DS4quality said:

To be honest I'm not sold on the Hronek deal either.  That's not to say he's a bad player,  and my opinion of the trade may or may not change.

But honestly this was a good season to take a step back and collect some extra picks maybe make a deal at the draft.

I don't like our cap situation.

I would like management to have began the process of bringing in more of their own picks to Abbotsford.

I hate the fact we pick so rarely in the second round.  I'd love to do more drafting than we currently do. Get more of our own guys to full the system. 

We got an extra 3rd and 4th. That's cool, but I'd prefer a first and second.

It feels like win now mode has been 10 seasons and Canucks can barely if even reach the playoffs. And that's why I don't like the deal right now.

Maybe Hronek can stabilize our roster defense,  but he can't fill every position in Abbotsford. 

Clearly hughes and Petey didn't want a step back and that matters

I was surprised by the player type (another skilled vs heavy defender), and interested in two of PA’s comments following the trade:

1. He alluded to him being a top pair D, and partner for Hughes.

2. He mentioned Hronek contributes to our team identity of being a fast team, specifically in getting pucks up to our forwards

While he’ll likely spend time with a few different partners, having those two out for nearly half a game would be very difficult to play against. Having one or the other out for nearly the entire game would also drive a lot of possession (especially paired with RT’s focus on board battles, and North-South play).

I’m happy we added a RD that can effectively replace (and significantly upgrade) Myers. Having Myer’s salary come off the books in time for Hronek’s raise takes the sting out a bit.

I'm not sure this deal would be available at the draft, so I’m not as fussed on the timing. If anything, the value of the NYI 1st (and our 2nd) decreased slightly since the trade. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

3 hours ago, Odd. said:

If Hronek gets 45+ points, we are looking at $8.0M+ minimum as a starting point. 

In an ideal world, Hronek is a #4 defenseman, and a #2-4 on a bad team like ours. Would you really want a #3-4 defenseman making $8.0M + the next 6-8 years?

You think Hronek is going to get paid more than Hughes...I highly doubt that happens, if those are his contract demands then Hronek should be qualified and then traded barring him being as productive as Hughes.

Fact: Canucks have long needed a top 4 RHD, we went and traded for one was the timing right hell no! This deal should have probably waited until the draft but our GM chose not to wait and made the deal. Now, we hope Hronek is 100% healthy starting next October and becomes an impact top 4 RHD for us. If that occurs then the trade looks decent just like the JT Miller trade from a few years ago. People whined and cried about that deal and it panned out well. Then we had the terrible OEL deal which is more recent and fresh in fans mind so they are uptight and bent out of shape in regards to the Hronek deal.

Fact: No matter who the GM is or the decisions that person makes it will NEVER make Canuck fans 100% happy, there will always be the haters and whiners...it gets old if you feel that way so much then why cheer for the team if it is that frustrating...got nothing better to do with your life maybe?

Anyways, this topic is pointless, we are in the off season, 5 months from now we can start to discuss Hronek as he starts a full NHL season with the Canucks and see how he transitions to play with our team and if it makes an impact, until then let's try not to have 15 Hronek and 25 JT whine/trade threads to fill the site with...

• There it is 1

27 minutes ago, spook007 said:

So not much pressure there Hronek... but agree. Maybe a solid 3-4 would be ok.

I mean, he's played like a solid 1D the last 2+ years. He's getting an opportunity to play more favorable minutes here since he'll be on the 2nd pairing, behind Hughes. I'd say there's a lot less pressure on him in Vancouver than there was in Detroit. 

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I would say that Chris Tanev was a better player than any 2nd round pick we ever drafted over the last 53 years other than Thatcher Demko and Mike Peca.  Akito Hirose also looks better than any 2nd round pick currently in our organization...

Like I said, it depends on who you're able to reel in. And like I said, who we've had via the second round speaks more to drafting and development being organizational weaknesses than the value of second round picks. Of course you're not going to get much from them if you're not actually using them very often, aren't able to develop players effectively, or able to draft well. 

Our track record outside of the first round the last decade has been pretty lousy. We've made seven picks in the second round since 2010, that's a problem. It's shifted a bit in recent years with our having drafted Hoglander and Klimovich, if anything those two players are examples of why we should be utilizing said picks. Hard to get hits in rounds you often don't draft in.

You see it year in and year out, folks coveting players drafted by other teams, you see teams like Dallas getting hits like Hintz and Robertson. I could go dig up a bunch of D and other players too, I'm sure. Picks aren't magic beans, almost all players are picks at some point, and you're more likely to get high quality NHL'ers (or NHL'ers period) from higher picks.  

Hronek should at least be positive value but it's infuriating how this franchise repeatedly fritters away it's picks to try and take shortcuts or gives them away to get out of cap headaches they created. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Maybe, or maybe it's gone due to the shoulder issues.

Hope he can still shoot like before, but time will tell.

Maybe, but they do have the technology to rebuild him ... maybe he comes back better than he was before ...

Better ... stronger ... faster ... 

Besides ... the year after he'll likely be a Six Million Dollar Man. 

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Neutral said:

You think Hronek is going to get paid more than Hughes...I highly doubt that happens, if those are his contract demands then Hronek should be qualified and then traded barring him being as productive as Hughes.

Fact: Canucks have long needed a top 4 RHD, we went and traded for one was the timing right hell no! This deal should have probably waited until the draft but our GM chose not to wait and made the deal. Now, we hope Hronek is 100% healthy starting next October and becomes an impact top 4 RHD for us. If that occurs then the trade looks decent just like the JT Miller trade from a few years ago. People whined and cried about that deal and it panned out well. Then we had the terrible OEL deal which is more recent and fresh in fans mind so they are uptight and bent out of shape in regards to the Hronek deal.

Fact: No matter who the GM is or the decisions that person makes it will NEVER make Canuck fans 100% happy, there will always be the haters and whiners...it gets old if you feel that way so much then why cheer for the team if it is that frustrating...got nothing better to do with your life maybe?

Anyways, this topic is pointless, we are in the off season, 5 months from now we can start to discuss Hronek as he starts a full NHL season with the Canucks and see how he transitions to play with our team and if it makes an impact, until then let's try not to have 15 Hronek and 25 JT whine/trade threads to fill the site with...

Says the person who just posted a four-paragraph soliloquy within said "pointless" topic.

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Hmmm ... I seem to remember people crying ... and crying hard ... that we needed a young RHD ... and then we get Hronek ... and people cried even harder. Can't have it both ways.

But ...

The fact is ... Hronek's great! Has a great shot, which we haven't had since the Salo days in a Dman. His best years are yet to come. He's going to be great for us. 

With Gonchar and Foote, I'm confident they can get him to be more defensively responsible without sacrificing his natural offensive talent. 

Hopefully Allvin is more focused on suring up our D so Hronek doesn't get stretched too thin and has to take on more roles than he should.

The problem is that he's not as young as some of us want him to be.  He will already be on the last year of his second contract next season.  If he performs as well as he did in Detroit, we must face the ugly reality that he will demand $6-7 million, even as a RFA.  If he does not perform as well as he did in Detroit, then we lose the trade.  Fans of the trade can't have it both ways either.

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, Gurn said:

"It is going to tak4 years to develop a pick into a player."

Perhaps, but I expect that Vancouver will still have a team then, so that player will  be needed.

Definitely, hence the need to balance building the current roster with the future, hence folks taking issue with giving up picks as frequently as we do. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Like I said, it depends on who you're able to reel in. And like I said, who we've had via the second round speaks more to drafting and development being organizational weaknesses than the value of second round picks. Of course you're not going to get much from them if you're not actually using them very often, aren't able to develop players from said round, or able to draft well. 

Our track record outside of the first round the last decade has been pretty lousy. We've made seven picks in the second round since 2010, that's a problem. It's shifted a bit in recent years with our having drafted Hoglander and Klimovich, if anything those two players are examples of why we should be utilizing said picks. Hard to get hits in rounds you often don't draft in.

You see it year in and year out, folks coveting players drafted by other teams, you see teams like Dallas getting hits like Hintz and Robertson. I could go dig up a bunch of D and other players too, I'm sure. Picks aren't magic beans, almost all players are picks at some point, and you're more likely to get high quality NHL'ers (or NHL'ers period) from higher picks.  

Hronek should at least be positive value but it's infuriating how this franchise repeatedly fritters away it's picks to try and take shortcuts or gives them away to get out of cap headaches they created. 

It's not so much lousy picks as it is the nature of picks after the first round.  Statistically the majority won't have an NHL career

1 minute ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

The problem is that he's not as young as some of us want him to be.  He will already be on the last year of his second contract next season.  If he performs as well as he did in Detroit, we must face the ugly reality that he will demand $6-7 million, even as a RFA.  If he does not perform as well as he did in Detroit, then we lose the trade.  Fans of the trade can't have it both ways either.

Lol ... nice try. 

He's 25. Just entering his prime. That's young with his best years ahead of him. Exactly what we need for this core.

If he performs well, he'll get some of the money we've had tied up in Myers and Boeser. And he'll be better consistent value.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

Hughes - Poolman / Schenn (?)

OEL - Hronek

Dermott / Hirose - Myers

That's not a bad looking defense group when healthy. I think if they shelter Myers a bit and reduce his minutes, he'll be a lot better. I don't have my finger's crossed with Poolman and Dermott returning but we'll see. Let's hope OEL has somewhat of a resurgence.