The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[3-Way Trade] Blue Jackets acquire Ivan Provorov; Flyers acquire Cal Petersen, Sean Walker, Helge Grans, 2023 1st-round pick, 2024 2nd-round pick, conditional 2024 2nd-round pick; Kings acquire Kevin Connauton, Hayden Hodgson

They needed a veteran D to help round out their roster. They also got promising young D that will be able to grow better now. Jiricek will step in being able to play with a solid partner. 

Already have some solid veteran forwards already. If they stay healthy(which was a problem last season) they’ll be a better team. 3rd overall is gonna step into a situation of playing with Gaudreau and Laine. Johnson will keep improving as well as Sillinger. 

The core they have growing is scary. They’ve drafted fairly high last couple seasons with multiple picks in the top 12. They have a pretty good prospect pool. 

Buffalo and CBJ could be powerhouses in  2-4 years. Devils likely sooner. 

Power shift in the east in the foreseeable future. 

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I very much doubt that.  Is Jack Eichel or Sam Reinhart tougher than Pettersson?  Is Gustav Forsling tougher than Hughes?

You mean 6’2… 213lb Eichel who has almost 40lbs on Petterson?

I don’t think you are making the point you think you are.

Aside from that silly comparison, it is the entire team… not just the two players.  Vegas and Florida are big, chippy teams.  Their smallest skill players are well protected.  Gretzky couldn’t be Gretzky without having the space and freedom to use his skill.

10 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Careful saying that around here. I said that earlier and the homer’s come out of the wood work. 
‘The usual silliness how we stole him by buying him at the most expensive time and how we have a brilliant management group and going to be an easy playoff team.  You know the crazy self satisfaction of another off-season out of the playoffs when we finished lower than the year before while going all in. 

Yeah, our timing was retarded. Who buys at the TDL like seriously. 

So desperate GM pays the desperate price. 

I wouldn't be complaining 1 bit if the 1st/2nd rounders were 2024. But 2023... wtf. We either got sweettalked by Yzerman or never even bothered to negotiate. 

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Aside from that silly comparison, it is the entire team… not just the two players.  Vegas and Florida are big, chippy teams.  Their smallest skill players are well protected.  Gretzky couldn’t be Gretzky without having the space and freedom to use his skill.

The only thing silly thing about this post is you thinking that Pettersson and Hughes won’t be able to last one round in the big bad playoffs without getting hurt. 

Jack Eichel is literally the poster boy for injuries. His career was almost ruined because of one. But now that his neck is fixed he’s suddenly the six million dollar man?  I don’t recall Petey having to get a career saving neck surgery. 

Also, Jack needs to keep his head up. The next time he gets whacked like that he may not be able to get up. 

Big move but not surprised CBJ want to retool and go for it, this is just like the Hronek deal. I think we'll see more and more bottom feeders think they're better than they have performed and be buyers. They had a lot of injuries last year, have star quality all across their lineup and will get a young center who can play in the NHL maybe even next year (Carlsson?), so why not? Werenski, Bean, Provorov and Peeke make a solid top-4.

This is all about Gaudreau though, they acquired a star and are trying to build around him and his age. I won't be surprised if they now try to acquire another top-6 forward in free agency too. They really need a top line center so drafting Carlsson helps down the line.

Kekaleinen highlights how he's still young and says he's just approaching his best years and talks of how he fits their cap plans because they have some very good young defenders coming in a few years.  

"Now we have a defenseman who slots in perfectly with our group," Blue Jackets general manager Jarmo Kekalainen said. "We’ve got two really strong defensemen on the left side of our top four with Zach Werenski and Ivan Provorov, so I think we’re in good shape right away. They’re both experienced now, but they’re both still in their prime and you can put a lot of right-handed guys next to them and they’ll look pretty good.”

Back in 2015 CBJ were picking 8th and were pondering whether to move up so they could get the D they wanted.  

Edited by mll

9 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I very much doubt that.  Is Jack Eichel or Sam Reinhart tougher than Pettersson?  Is Gustav Forsling tougher than Hughes?

I actually just saw Forsling wrestle down Pietrangelo. You should watch more hockey = p

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, grandmaster said:

Miller is a core piece. He is off the table unless another team makes an offer they can’t refuse. We would never make the playoffs without his ability to quarterback the PP the way he does and power that second line centre position. His other intangibles regarding hits, fights and leadership are also highly valued among the team, coach and management.

Miller is staying and if he goes I’m done with this team

Well so far he was close to being traded three times.Might be like a Horvat deal we get a couple pieces and trade for a bigger one.

He more then likely will stay if BB and Myers are going but we need two big contracts gone moving forward and his name is always being talked about.

Beau and Garland could also do it but BB would make more sense.

Myers not to sure but would be a later trade when teams have close to set Thier rosters.Might be a tdl deal.

We have options mine is getting the best deals moving forward and if Miller is one you have to do it.

38 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I think we should include cap space in the list of assets being trade. 
Ie: JTM+11 for 3+Guddy+4M cap space. 
Just clarifies the actual deal. 

Alf’s empties approves this proposal. image.gif.a63373b04262f4bc95bbb10a5bfcba60.gif

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Provost said:

Didn’t Petey almost take out Vegas while being thinner and not as good as now in the playoffbubble? 
The Canucks had beaten that team if Petey was as good back then as he is now.

• There it is 1

Put yourself in the shoes of the Blue Jackets, are any of you trading 3OA for Miller +11 OA when you have the chance to draft Fantili or Carlsson? 

Also, what if this trade does happen and we get Carlsson, how do we know if he'll be a playoff performer? We know Miller is definitely made for the playoffs. 

Best way forward is to include Miller in the core moving and build around him, Petey, Hronek, Hughes, Kuzmenko, Demko, etc. Look at the construction of the Panthers who were a top 3 team last year, still a playoff team this year and now in the cup finals. 75% of that team is free agents or players acquired through trade to build around Ekblad, Barkov, Bobrovsky. 

Addition by subtraction. 

Myers, Pearson, Garland, Beauvillier, Poolman will hopefully all be off the books next year. Thats 15 mill in space after paying Petey and Hronek. We will find our stopgap 3c and shore up our entire top 6. Look for the Canucks to make noise in 2024-2025

7 minutes ago, Seannnp said:

Put yourself in the shoes of the Blue Jackets, are any of you trading 3OA for Miller +11 OA when you have the chance to draft Fantili or Carlsson? 

If I believe that Miller helps the team win now- then yes I make the trade

8 minutes ago, Seannnp said:

Also, what if this trade does happen and we get Carlsson, how do we know if he'll be a playoff performer? We know Miller is definitely made for the playoffs. 

This is actually incentive for the Blue Jackets to make the trade.

9 minutes ago, Seannnp said:

Myers, Pearson, Garland, Beauvillier, Poolman will hopefully all be off the books next year

Hopefully I'll be the Prime Minister of Canada- but that is also unlikely.

• Cheers 1

Just now, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I don't know if you knew, but you answered your own question in the next paragraph of your post.

The reason why CBJ does this is to get far into the playoffs.  The two potential draftees you listed probably won't affect playoff chances much - especially with a coach like Babcock, who will probably bench them in favour of veterans.  So if you're CBJ management, what you said in your 2nd paragraph is exactly why you would do that trade.

But would you though? You were bad enough in 2023 that you received a 3rd pick OA. There were no indications late in the year that CLB could be an improved team next year. There are no indications that Babcock is going to come in and turn them around in one off season and they are still missing a bonafide starting NHL goalie. You have some gems in Johnston, Sillinger, Boqvist, Peeke, and Jiricek. To add Fantili or Carlsson to that core would be setting yourself up for the next 10 years as a potential powerhouse. 

2023-2024 is a trial year for them. I think if im JK, im keeping that 3rd OA 10/10 times. Nothing short of a massive overpayment convinces me of moving off that pick. Next year, they decide from the makeup of thier team what holes they need to fill, what areas require improvement, etc. I dont think Miller fits thier timeline to compete which likely doesnt open up until thier prospects take the next step. Very unnecessary for them to acquire a player like Miller this year. Keep in mind some great top end centers are potentially available in the next FA class including Schiefele. 

If im JK and the Canucks come calling, it would take the following for me to consider

Miller, Hoglander, 11th OA, 2024 unprotected 1st,

for 3rd OA and Boqvist 

12 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

They needed a veteran D to help round out their roster. They also got promising young D that will be able to grow better now. Jiricek will step in being able to play with a solid partner. 

Already have some solid veteran forwards already. If they stay healthy(which was a problem last season) they’ll be a better team. 3rd overall is gonna step into a situation of playing with Gaudreau and Laine. Johnson will keep improving as well as Sillinger. 

The core they have growing is scary. They’ve drafted fairly high last couple seasons with multiple picks in the top 12. They have a pretty good prospect pool. 

Buffalo and CBJ could be powerhouses in  2-4 years. Devils likely sooner. 

Power shift in the east in the foreseeable future. 

Sure sounds like CBJ wants to get there sooner than later.  Kekaleinen sounds more than done with their rebuild.  At his end of season presser he said that the objective is the playoffs next season and he wants them to get there quick.  He referenced how they had a couple of playoff seasons but have been missing the playoffs for far too long.  He made it clear that he intended to add some veterans to help their team move forward.  

Larsen was brought in because he was a developmental coach - they didn't even bother to interview anyone else because they thought he was so great with their young players.  This time around they were looking at win now coaches - Laviolette, Gallant and decided for Babcock.  

Don't see them parting with 3rd overall as it's their final rebuilding piece or any of their top prospects either.  Wouldn't be surprised if other picks are available though as they try and add more established players.  

Wonder what they plan to do in goal.  Would expect their team to look quite different past their core.  They've already announced that Texier would be back + they've also signed Voronkov who they expect to have in their lineup. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Gurn said:

If I believe that Miller helps the team win now- then yes I make the trade

This is actually incentive for the Blue Jackets to make the trade.

Hopefully I'll be the Prime Minister of Canada- but that is also unlikely.

So then why arent we keeping Miller? If Miller helps us win now, why are we trading him plus additional assets for someone we dont know is a playoff performer. We're in the same boat as CLB, actually slightly ahead in terms of talent. With the team we have and we had 3OA, youd be okay with trading it for a 29 year old veteran heading into the first year of a 7 year 8 mill contract? Just because you want something, doesnt mean the other team abandons logic to go and make it happen for you. 

Provorov = Hronek

Werenski = Hughes

Gaudreau = Kuzmenko 

Laine = Boeser 

They dont have a Petey yet. They dont have a Demko.

Also, Pearson, Poolman, and Beauvillier are on expiring contracts. Myers is owed 1m in real dollars with a 6m cap hit and is also on an expiring contract. Only player left with term is Garland who despite what some think, is not a negative value contract. So its far more likely that all 5 are gone by year end than you have of becoming prime minister of your neighborhood watch.  

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Seannnp said:

So then why arent we keeping Miller?

Still on the team isn't he?

But I'd trade Miller because he won't be very good by the time the Canucks are competing for a cup.

Whether Columbus is closer or not doesn't really matter as much as, does Columbus management think they are close.?

If so they  might do it, if not they won't.

8 minutes ago, Seannnp said:

Also, Pearson, Poolman, and Beauvillier are on expiring contracts.

Yes- gone at the end of next year, not during the year. Or unlikely to be gone during the year.

2 are on ltir, and Pearson is extremely unlikely to be healthy, yet the team has to plan for both to be back, just in case.

you originally named 5 people to be gone, we might see 1, or if really lucky, 2 gone.