The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Signing) CBJ signs Severson

1 hour ago, eeeeergh said:

My biggest potential issue with Severson is that I think that he benefited from being on an incredible team playing a great system

I dont think he ends up looking as good on a weaker team

I still think we run it back with the group we've got on D for a year. Do not buy out OEL. If he can play like he did in 2021, hes worth 5m, and a top-4 LD, and we'll actually be pretty good. 

OEL-Hronek for the tough minutes (i expect they'll be better than OEL-Myers, Hronek is better than Myers in every way except girafeness and chaos creation)

Hughes-Bear feasting on weaker opponents. Hughes gets 22-23 minutes a night incl. all 1st powerplay unit time, Bear gets 16-17 mins a night. They get most of their 5v5 time in offensive zone starts. 

Hirose-Myers - they looked good together at the end of the season

Then the following year hopefully Filip Johansson can graduate to 3rd pairing RD role. If OEL didn't bounce back, THEN we buy him out and use the combined Myers + OEL money to grab a really solid top-4 option. 

I even like Brisebois-Myers pairing if Myers have to stay til TDL but overall great post and logical

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

It will be interesting to see how they address there lack of C depth. I doubt they would trade their 3OA but could they have interest in Miller? I know this has been discussed before but it is an intriguing question. Miller and his $8M cap hit are actually not that bad when considering this summer's FA market. If CBJ is really going all in and if they are convinced Miller is a full-time C, then he's a good option for them. If the Canucks don't push for the 3OA but are willing to take players back, then maybe CBJ may be more willing to make a deal? Something along the lines of Miller (or Miller+) for Johnson/Sillinger, Roslovic, Ceulemans, (and maybe another piece?)? The Canucks get a blue chip and very young C prospect, someone to play 3C, a very good RHD prospect, and some cap space (and Roslovic is a UFA next year which opens up room for Raty to make the jump or money for a FA signing). CBJ keeps their 3OA but receives a major upgrade at the C position from Roslovic and keeps one of Johnson/Sillinger.

Very true in that they have a impressive D corps but are thin in the middle and I agree with your post that a Miller trade would be ideal for both teams. We Need addition by subtraction so we have more cap and blue chip prospects in the system as much as a hole it would be to trade our 2C. But the Miller signing long term never made much sense for our competitive window. I’m all aboard for something you have put forth.

Just reading the Columbus HF boards, where they expect Jarmo will retain Guddy, but trade Peeke for a forward.

Their middle six wingers look very thin, and too inexperienced for Babcock. Wouldn’t a great 5 on 5 playdriver like Garland fit well on a team with questionable strength at 2C?

Would Garland for Peeke be far off in value for a hockey trade?

28 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Future extensions have no bearing on their value assessment right now.  We don't know what's gonna happen 1 or 2 years down the road. 

What we do know is that Hronek's cap hit is $4.4M, Provorov is $4.725M. 

What we do know is that Hronek is a RHD, Provorov is a LHD.

What we do know is that Hronek was coming off his best year.  Provorov has been on a downward trend the past 3 years.

All true.  Wouldn't have traded for Provorov.  

Still not all that fair to equate an unknown 1st round pick that could even end up unprotected with a 1st that is set.  NYI wasn't even in a playoff position at the time of the trade.  Vancouver paid more but got the better player - as you point out RHD, Hronek on the upswing and Provorov needs to get back on track and LHD.  It's not the same price but for a reason.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Just reading the Columbus HF boards, where they expect Jarmo will retain Guddy, but trade Peeke for a forward.

Their middle six wingers look very thin, and too inexperienced for Babcock. Wouldn’t a great 5 on 5 playdriver like Garland fit well on a team with questionable strength at 2C?

Would Garland for Peeke be far off in value for a hockey trade?

I'd do that trade 1-for-1, it'd suck to lose Garland, but if Peeke can play top 4 RHD minutes and do well, at $2.75M, it'd be very good value.  We'd also save $2.2M in cap space. 

I could also justify keeping Myers for his last year on the 3rd pair.

Hughes-Peeke

OEL-Hronek

____-Myers

• Upvote 1

Friedman thinks that Severson's preference was to sign in Western Canada in free agency.  CBJ were just so persistent.  NJD would have liked to sign him short term per LeBrun but he wanted 8 years.  

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I'd do that trade 1-for-1, it'd suck to lose Garland, but if Peeke can play top 4 RHD minutes and do well, at $2.75M, it'd be very good value.  We'd also save $2.2M in cap space. 

I could also justify keeping Myers for his last year on the 3rd pair.

Hughes-Peeke

OEL-Hronek

____-Myers

Same term, fills a need, saves us 2m in cap space

1 hour ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

They also have Boqvist at $2.6M.

My guess is their D pairs will look like:

Werenski-Peeke, Provorov-Severson, Bean-Boqvist, and with Blankenburg and Gudbranson as extras. I doubt they will find a taker for Gudbranson unless they retain. I suppose they could demote Gudbranson to save $1.125M in cap and run with only 1 spare D.

It's a strong D core.

They're still severely lacking at C though. Jenner was their #1C last year, and Roslovic is a low quality 2C. If Kent Johnson and/or Cole Sillinger show significant improvement, then they might be fine, but that's a lot to expect for very young players. It would also be a lot to expect for either Carlsson or Fantilli to step in right away as a 1C or 2C.

It will be interesting to see how they address there lack of C depth. I doubt they would trade their 3OA but could they have interest in Miller? I know this has been discussed before but it is an intriguing question. Miller and his $8M cap hit are actually not that bad when considering this summer's FA market. If CBJ is really going all in and if they are convinced Miller is a full-time C, then he's a good option for them. If the Canucks don't push for the 3OA but are willing to take players back, then maybe CBJ may be more willing to make a deal? Something along the lines of Miller (or Miller+) for Johnson/Sillinger, Roslovic, Ceulemans, (and maybe another piece?)? The Canucks get a blue chip and very young C prospect, someone to play 3C, a very good RHD prospect, and some cap space (and Roslovic is a UFA next year which opens up room for Raty to make the jump or money for a FA signing). CBJ keeps their 3OA but receives a major upgrade at the C position from Roslovic and keeps one of Johnson/Sillinger.

A year older Johnson and Sillinger with Carlsson stepping directly behind them.  Healthy Jenner and roslovic means that CBJ will have some of the youngest and on paper most talented centre depth in the league.  Carlsson/Johnson/Sillinger all have the skill (in Calrssons case, size) to step in as either a 1b or 2a centre.  Roslovic and Jenner give them stud 3rd and 4th line centre depth.

You have Werenski/Peeke, Provorov-Severson and suggest Beene and Boqvist as your 1-6 D core with Blankenburg and Gudbranson as your 7-8 fill ins without mentioning Jiricek, Svozil, Mateychuk and Cuelemans.  

This is ALL under a current forward core that includes veterans Gaudreau Laine and Kuraly and has not spoken once of their forward prospect depth under the age of 24.

All of that, ALL OF THAT and now they also add Babcock, one of the most successful coaches in NHL history; issues aside.

They don't need Miller.  At all.  Not sure why people keep suggesting this; there is literally zero need for it.

Let's flip the script.  What if we had centre depth youth/prospects in Sillinger, Johnson, McKown and Del Bel Belluz and someone suggested we take on a near 30 year old centre with an $8 million contract while we still held the 3rd overall this year ensuring we were taking what would arguably be a first overall centre in any of the last 3-5 drafts in Carlsson or Fantilli.

How welcoming do you think this fan base would be to that?

Edited by Warhippy

1 hour ago, Pears said:

Depending on how the draft board falls would the 11th overall and Höglander be enough to land Jiricek?

I would guess no. IMO Jiricek is one of the best prospects not currently in the NHL. I think that trade starts with 2 firsts, but I'm just some guy who has no idea what he's talking about.

• Cheers 1
  • elephant 1

2 minutes ago, Quantum said:

COLUMBUS TAKING ALLVIN'S STEAM AND I LOVE TO SEE IT.

Again, the Canucks are saved from signing another albatross contract on defense.

The best teams don't make waves during Free Agency.

WOW assumptions 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

A year older Johnson and Sillinger with Carlsson stepping directly behind them.  Healthy Jenner and roslovic means that CBJ will have some of the youngest and on paper most talented centre depth in the league.  Carlsson/Johnson/Sillinger all have the skill (in Calrssons case, size) to step in as either a 1b or 2a centre.  Roslovic and Jenner give them stud 3rd and 4th line centre depth.

You have Werenski/Peeke, Provorov-Severson and suggest Beene and Boqvist as your 1-6 D core with Blankenburg and Gudbranson as your 7-8 fill ins without mentioning Jiricek, Svozil, Mateychuk and Cuelemans.  

This is ALL under a current forward core that includes veterans Gaudreau Laine and Kuraly and has not spoken once of their forward prospect depth under the age of 24.

All of that, ALL OF THAT and now they also add Babcock, one of the most successful coaches in NHL history; issues aside.

They don't need Miller.  At all.  Not sure why people keep suggesting this; there is literally zero need for it.

Let's flip the script.  What if we had centre depth youth/prospects in Sillinger, Johnson, McKown and Del Bel Belluz and someone suggested we take on a near 30 year old centre with an $8 million contract.

How welcoming do you think this fan base would be to that?

I could see Sillinger and Roslovic being dangled if it meant a PPG powerforward centre in his prime a la JT Miller.

Roslovic is a pending UFA.

Sillinger had a pretty bad sophomore year, even by sophomore slump standards.  He had 3 goals and 11 points in 64 games and even spent time in the AHL.  Acquiring Miller, they'd have Miller, Jenner, Johnson down the middle.

And yes, they'd still have Carlsson/Fantilii inbound.

Johnson could play on Miller's wing.  Then they'd still have Miller, Jenner, and Carlsson down the middle. 

Edited by HKSR

1 hour ago, Pears said:

Depending on how the draft board falls would the 11th overall and Höglander be enough to land Jiricek?

I would still hang on to the pick if Reinbacher is available trading it would be a plan B imo 

Blue Jackets are on the razor's edge now. Between Severson, Provorov, Gaudreau, Laine, Jenner, and Merzlikins, along with maybe two more decent adds, there has to be enough talent and drive to become a consistent playoff contender immediately. They cannot afford another losing season like 2023, because that's another decade wasted for this team

Edited by Neil HD

1 minute ago, Neil HD said:

Blue Jackets are on the razor's edge now. Between Severson, Provorov, Gaudreau, Laine, Jenner, and Merzlikins, along with maybe two more decent adds, there has to be enough talent and drive to become a consistent playoff contender immediately. They cannot afford another losing season like 2023, because it's another decade wasted for this team

I think they'll give Gudbranson the C. Just watch. 

2 minutes ago, Neil HD said:

Blue Jackets are on the razor's edge now. Between Severson, Provorov, Gaudreau, Laine, Jenner, and Merzlikins, along with maybe two more decent adds, there has to be enough talent and drive to become a consistent playoff contender immediately. They cannot afford another losing season like 2023, because that's another decade wasted for this team

Yeah I feel like they're about to break out like NJD.